OT: Break-in update

Last Sunday was the 15th break-in this year. They got some tools and such worth about $1k. The armed guards AREN'T in on it, they've almost caught thieves on numerous occasions. The thieves can hear the gate opening into the yard. It's NOT previous employees, they were FAR too lazy to do that much work while on the clock and my current employees are too fat and old to fit into the tiny broken windows 15' up the wall. IT'S CRACK-HEADS OUT FOR A ROCK!!!

About video; a cop told me it would be a GREAT idea to have pictures of homeless thieves in the inner city ghetto...they'll surely go round-up a BUNCH of suspects even with their budget cuts and war with the city politicians. I think he was kidding!

My ADT system has 3 PIR sensors, 1 duo-tech, 8 door switches and 2 panic foot bars. It's old and the thieves have figured out where the sensors are and avoid them even by cutting holes in the internal wall. ADT will gladly give more protection...for more $.

Perfect hind-sight=brick-up all the windows and make the place inpenetratable. I now have grates or plywood over all the windows but the glass-block in the front office.

Here's the best part: The precinct commander has committed to get a "Strike-Force" team involved and stake-out the building. When he told me that, I immediately offered to buy all the beer and bullets they would need. He said that was the best offer they ever had. So, my next update will include inquiries about patching bullet holes in walls and roofs...I hope!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I would wait with the beer!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

To be honest, if it was my place, I would do the stake-out myself. Perhaps, talk to the cops about them being on alert, hide someplace, and as soon as you see someone breaking in, call them. I suspect that you may be surprised, the more you write, the less credible your guards look.

Ignoramus20106

Maybe its time to revisit your contract with the security company since it's hard to prove it does any good...

Do you have surveillance cameras up and about? If you put just the minimum out where they absolutely need to be and a more dummies where they serve as a deterrent, I suspect it might do some good. There's gobs of machines that record lots and lots of cameras all at the same time and the prices I think are coming down. You can even get small wireless camera sets at Wal-Mart for under a hundred bucks now. I'm starting to think about getting one or two.... Signs here and there noting the surveillance might work on the deterrent effect. Just came to me that if you had a post at common places with the same kind of height numbers that stores use might help mess with their heads..

Then again, perhaps just dummy cameras and signs will go the longest. There's something out there I read that the biggest contributor to reducing your odds of having your home getting broken in is just that little sign about monitoring. I like the ones that say "To hell with the alarm system, this home is protected by Smith & Wesson."

Reply to
carl mciver

Jeepers!

You're insured? The insurance company isn't interested in solving the problem? They MUST be tired of paying claims.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner

If I turned over any theft claims to the insurance:

A. They would raise their premiums to recoup their loss. B. They would insist on upgrades in the building that would cost a fortune. or C. They would drop me...I had a bitch of a time with insurance aftre 9/11.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Use flattened beer cans stuck on with dried blood. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

*** The security guards are there in an average of 10 minutes...2 hours for the cops. The thieves run away, the guards can't shoot them in the back apearently. ***
*** Yep, get pictures of homeless black guys committing a crime in the Ghetto...and then what? ***
*** I told the police commander that I was going to sit down here with a 10 ga. and I think that's when he thought of assigning the "Strike Force". ***
Reply to
Tom Gardner

Build a device as follows: Lay a wooden house door on the ground. In the center of the door, along the minor axis, attach a coil spring from a "roll up" type garage door. Affix to the spring to a U-shaped piece of steel that is slightly less than the dimension of half of the door.

As the U-shaped piece of steel is forced against the tension of the spring, bring it all the way over to the other end of the door; here affix by means of a hinge a long bar that is 3/4 the length of the door. As this long bar rests against the U-shaped bar, it prevents it from returning (under spring tension), so wedge the end of the long bar against a tray, upon which you place something of value (like a stereo component, or since they like food, perhaps some cheese).

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

ARM THE FIDIOTS WITH -BOLAS-, FER CHRISSAKES! Or aren't they allowed to TRIP them, either? I sure as hell would be looking at getting all the money I spent with ADT back from them after all these breakins.

How about borrowing a Vulcan from the USAF and setting it up to work after hours with the PIRs?

No? Then how about asking the alarm company to borrow rubber bullet, net, or beanbag guns from the riot squad so they can finally -catch- one or more of these damned perps?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends --

Comprehensive Website Development --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Get a dog or two and leave them inside. I guarentee no one will break in...

Reply to
Sierevello

two words

German Shepard

buy a quality dog and watch the criminals pick on your neighbor

Reply to
williamhenry

[...]

Set off a few bug bombs every night. (:

Reply to
B.B.

Get some mercaptan, open the bottle during the night. It smells like a major gas leak, the crooks will think a small spark will blow them sky high. Smells terrible. Close the bottle during the day and flush the smell out.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Ever consider not posting your entire security system and its weaknesses on the internet. ?

Reply to
EdFielder

While it will be cold comfort to you, this is yet another anecdotal illustration of how well social conditions are predicted by economic metrics such as the GINI coefficient [see

]

The GINI coefficient indicates how equally [or unequally] an advantage such as cash income or health care is distributed across a population. Note this does not measure the level of income [or other advantage] but rather how equally it is distributed. Statistical analysis indicates a high correlation between the GINI coefficient of cash income distribution and quality-of-life metrics such as the number of murders, robberies, burglaries, rapes, etc per 100k of the population. This relationship holds true even within countries. In the United States where state and MSA [metropolitan statistical area] GINI and quality-of-life data is available the same high positive correlation is found.

This should be of interest/concern because the United States has the highest GINI index of cash income distribution of all the OECD [Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development], which includes such traditionally egalitarian countries such as Great Britton and France. The American cash income GINI coefficient continues to increase at an accelerating rate.

As the American national, state and MSA cash income GINIs approach those of Mexico, Argentina and Columbia no one should be surprised when the quality-of-life metrics, such as the burglary rate and street crime, also approach those of Mexico, Argentina, and Columbia.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

If the yard is fenced, just buy a big, used doghouse and let the thieves wonder where the dog is :)

- - Rex Burkheimer

williamhenry wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

LOL!!!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Cats rule here! The are low maintenance and work for a living.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Did you see the PBS series: "Germs, guns and steel"?

Reply to
Tom Gardner