OT- China in Space

It's a LOT easier and cheaper coming along later- they didn't have to invent advanced materials, computers, CMOS chips, and so on, just select them. Their launch vehicles for satellites are now comparable in quality and performance to Ariane and similar US vehicles (Atlas?) according to what I've read.

It's a really big deal here in China (where I happen to be until later this afternoon, in a sprawling border city called Shenzhen). Photos (John Glenn-like) of Yang with his space suit on etc. etc. This was only the 5th launch of this spacecraft design, compared to many, many failures that occured in the US and Russian space program early on (mostly involving just the unmanned vehicle blowing up). Not sure I like Yang much, he's got a really booming voice and seems a bit too full of fervor for the glory of it all, but he had the balls to get up there and do it.

What will be the official language of the first Martian colony?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

You knew they didn't know we didn't know they thew.

Difference is evidence, and the possibility isn't real that the earth is flat.

No, I've been surfing too much:

True. Too bad our intelligence didn't tell us.

Agreed.

Reply to
Jeepers

I watched my dad come home day after day heading for the drink cabinet. One of his 'tasks' was to maintain the radar and radio linkage as the early soviet pioneers flew overhead. We - WE the USA - data logged everything we could gather - not much could be kept away - not exotic covert times in space...

Those tapes were used by scientists to better understand what radiation did to an unprotected body and many other things. Some didn't last long and didn't go quiet into the night.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn

Remember the entire launch program party and Sky City blew up! That set them back some time! That was a missile loaded with Cosmonaughts.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn

"Spehro Pefhany" >

In all the movies I've seen they speak with American accents and pretend to be friendly, but they're really planning something evil to do with you !

Dean. ( Oh, and they wear really bad rubber suits )

Reply to
Dean

I'm finding various numbers for total Soyuz launches (apparently, there's some disagreement over which platforms are considered "Soyuz"), but the highest figure I've found is < 1800.

I can see where the total number of launches could be used to get an idea of the platform's reliability, but in that case you should count the total number of failures, not just the ones that result in cosmonaut fatalities. In other words, either use human casualties per manned launch or total number of failures per total number of launches, but NOT human casualties per total (manned + unmanned) launches. Using the third comparison would mean that a platform that is never manned would have a 100% success rate, even if every single launch exploded.

I'll see if I can dig up some numbers tonight.

BTW, if we start counting observer / ground crew casualties, I don't think the Soviet record looks so good.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Thus the point of my original question. Of course, there have been many inquiries into the ex-USSR space program since the fall of the evil empire, and we haven't turned up much of anything.

Reply to
Duck Dog

No it wasn't. That was the N-1 pad explosion (their version of the Saturn). It did kill several of their technicians and a few of their top designers who were examining an anomaly during fueling of the rocket. But it didn't even have a crew capsule. This was the second test N-1 to fail on the pad, the first didn't kill anyone. The failure of the N-1 effectively ended their manned Moon landing program. They didn't build a rocket that big again until the Energia vehicle used to launch Buran (their version of the Shuttle). Energia was a complete success, but proved too costly, and no more have been built.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

AFAIK that's government funding. The profits they make on commercial launches isn't included in the $1.5 billion a year figure.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

The Russians made attempts to resuscitate in such situations, The US did not

Reply to
14West

Starbucks. Or Mickey Dees.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Well, it was harding finding specific numbers than I expected. Different sites categorize launch vehicles by different criteria and many didn't indicate how current their data are.

I think the following numbers are in the ballpark.

From

:

Vehicle Successes Tries Realzd Rate Soyuz Variants

11A510 2 2 1.00 11A511 Soyuz * 28 30 .93 11A511L 3 3 1.00 11A511M 8 8 1.00 11A511U 555 572 .97 11A511U Soyuz ** 54 55 .98 11A511U Progress 59 59 1.00 11A511U Ikar 6 6 1.00 11A511U Fregat 4 4 1.00 11A511U2 24 26 .92 11A511U2 Soyuz *** 25 25 1.00 11A511U2 Progress 37 37 1.00 11A511FG Progress 3 3 1.00 11A511FG Soyuz + 1 1 1.00

ALL SOYUZ 809 831 .97

These numbers are very close to the ones I found at:

I believe the numbers that I found indicating 1600+ launches include all R7 family launch vehicles.

Also found a couple of sites with launch / launch vehicle databases:

This one has a search form with several selectable criteria:

This one has 30,000+ launches and can be downloaded:
R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 02:18:19 GMT, Carl Byrns pixelated:

No, those are their currencies. McBonics will be the language.

i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online

Larry Jaques

Both of those things are *everywhere*...

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I remember the good old days when it was Radio Shack and 7/11 that were trying to take over the world.

Reply to
V8TR4