[OT] Coffeepot temperature

And who supports their products after that 50 years elapses? Where's the incentive for them to make any kind of product last beyond their legally mandated demise? Why would anybody buy one of their products in the last years of their corporate life knowing that there will be no support on it in a few years? What happens to their tooling, manufacturing facilities, and corporate expertise? What happens to single items of tooling that represent more than 10% of the assets?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well, there's the problem. We have motorcycle helmet laws because guy who splatters his brains all over the highway "harms" the insurance company, the EMTs, the street cleaners, etc.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Actually Nader went after VW too. That was pretty much the end of him--the Beetle was a cultural icon at the time and everybody figured out that he was nuts.

Reply to
J. Clarke

When was the last time you had coffee at a McDonalds? Their coffee is difficult to "enjoy" but the temperature has little to do with it. The main problem is that the Bunn-O-Matic gets cleaned when it's so gross that the boss can't stand to look at it anymore. And they haven't modified the Bunn-O-Matic to add ice to the coffee after making to bring the temperature down--it's still served at the same temperature as the coffee made with every other Bunn-O-Matic in the known universe, which temperature is mostly controlled by the QC weenies at Bunn.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Larry Jaques describes his adventures:

buddies and drove it 90mph on the freeway at times.<

WOW

debt or you simply bought a lemon.<

Maybe both? This '63 was my second Corvair, the first a '61. Lot of fun to drive. :)

Reply to
rigger

Larry Jaques explaines:

be covered by personal integrity/responsibility or rung up as accidents by the less intelligent or irresponsible parties.<

But most corporations don't show "personal integrity/responsibility" so have no motivation, other than the pressure of law. And I can agree there are such things as "accidents" or even "Acts of God". Now can YOU agree there are such things as "criminal negligence" or is everything always just an "unfortunate mistake"?

not EVEN in the same league as newbie humor. (Hate vs. grins)<

Actually the comment was "color of my skin" not about "Racism", although I've seen people apply their brand of "humor" to the color of peoples skin as well. :( However my post concerned, not racism, but a predisposeure to making judgments based on superficial features rather than facts).

for the retrofit (I think we made $8-10 on the installation.) that it would have been a winning move. But that didn't happen due to the legal climate. Owning up to something brings on the ambulance chasers in mega-droves.<

The legal climate? So you're saying if the legal climate had been different they would not have fried all those poor people? THAT is the EXACT reason we need laws to protect people. On the other hand you feel protective measures were not taken because, what (?), it might cost them some money? And so, because it might cost them some money, admitting THEIR screw-up, this somehow justifies these poor innocent people getting killed? Call them "ambulance chasers" if you wish, but without attorneys who work on contingencies there would be NO justice in a court of law for many. If it wasn't for these companies pulling shit like this you'd see a lot less lawyers looking for this kind of work. Same deal as the unions. Without work conditions being as bad as they were it's doubtful unions could have gotten where they were in such a short period of time.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

J. Clarke expounds:

guy who splatters his brains all over the highway "harms" the insurance company, the EMTs, the street cleaners, etc.<

No John, I don't believe that's exactly right; I'll tell you why. Certainly everyone is much more "inconvenienced" by the incredible number of auto and truck accidents and associated fatalities, hospital costs, etc. Did you ever hear of legislation to force car and truck drivers to wear helmets, or even double shoulder belts? If the idea was to save lives why aren't some of our glorious politicians doing something about it? I'll tell you why: Political expediency (votes) and money (insurance company contributions). Try to make the "average" person wear a helmet and they will not vote for you, period. And as far as the money, it's simple: Even the insurance companies don't have enough money to cause a political party to commit hara-kiri (sp?).

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

snipped to teh point

I follow your sentiments, rigger, but came to a different conclusion.

Politics being as confusing as they are...

Actually, piss him off bad enough and the "average" person will vote

- finally -

but for the other guy...

Of course, I could be wrong.

Politics can be very confusing...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Lamb

On 18 Jan 2006 10:03:48 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "rigger" quickly quoth:

The California Highway Patrolman who sold the Corvair to me had put a

100 lb sandbag in the trunk for high-speed freeway stability. I later told him that it was quieter and smoother on the freeway at 90 than my mother's Lincoln Continental was. He chuckled and replied that he had fine-tuned the convertible top for noise. 'Course, Mom's car was the only thing to take to the drive-in movie. It slept 4.

Right you are.

I could have sworn you said you were 20. And I won't answer that last question.

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Comprehensive Website Development ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You seem to be agreeing with me without understanding that you are agreeing.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If you meant why nuke water for tea, that's so the cup is also heated. Then the tea is added, not before. If the water was heated in a kettle, then one should preheat the cup (or teapot) with some hot water, dump that, then pour in boiling water for brewing. It only takes 2 minutes to nuke a mug of water for tea.

Coffee is better if the water isn't quite at boiling temp, more like 190 to 200F.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Larry Jaques mentioned:

Reply to
rigger

Reply to
rigger

Didn't work out that way here is Texas. I guess we have bigger bikers...

If you are over 21 and have medical insurance (!?) you can chose to wear a helmet or not.

Now me, I wear one. I don't know if that's because I've had enough trama to the head to learn better, or haven't had enough yet to not care.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Lamb

It's never quite that simple--if you think it is you are very naive.

It's not "votes" per se--most people couldn't care less about motorcycle helmets and don't have a clue who voted for or against such legislation. It's the marketing that can be bought with the money donated that gets the votes.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Richard Lamb tells us:

I guess we have bigger bikers... <

Maybe, but also some common sense in a lot of things such as:

you can chose to wear a helmet or not.<

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

J. Clarke instructs:

Reply to
rigger

On 18 Jan 2006 10:45:45 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "rigger" quickly quoth:

Yes, criminal negligence exists. As far as the Pinto issue goes, I do not see it there because Ford didn't warranty safety in rear end crashes. Nobody does. (Except maybe Volvo?)

Then why on Earth didn't you say so rather than bring up race? Ten demerits for you, boy. (Or should I say "gramps" here?)

I'll say this just once. Ford did not fry anyone. Period. It's idiots blindly REAR-ENDING the vehicles who killed them. Accidents happen, people die. That's a fact of life, Dennis. Get used to it. Why not sue the idiot survivors (who were negligent in their driving and ran into these poor dead folks) instead of suing Ford? There is no justice or common sense.

Suing Ford justifies the accidents? BTW, you never did get those stats for me. What percentage of cars burn which are NOT Pintos? Chevy picups were another breed which were shown to leak gas, but in side collisions. Then there are the VWs whose ancient, untended fuel lines burst and cause many, many fires. I don't see you going after GM and VW, do I? Where's your sense of indignation for them?

I should have known you were pro union, too.

That's it for me on this discussion. As you said, we won't be changing each other's mind.

Ciao!

----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques, as he exits:

Reply to
rigger

On 19 Jan 2006 13:36:34 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "rigger" quickly quoth:

Tons of hurtling steel slamming into the back of the Pinto caused the explosion, not Ford.

So contractors are liable for meteorite strikes just because they can happen? Get real. What about people parking on the railroad tracks? Mfgrs liable for those explosions, too?

LJ out.