OT: cutting Frozen Meat

this is surely off topic but i suspect folks here have some experience.

tonight, i bot my very first fresh frozen Salmon, and am wondering if anyone knows a good method for cutting it frozen or with the least amount of thawing. the thing weights 5lbs and would normally last me a year.

i don't own a clever, or any really heavy cutting tool like that. just the normal rcm stuff, hack saw, portable band saw, skill saw, whatever. anyhoo, am wondering if anyone had used these tools for cutting frozen meat. was the clean up a bitch? thanks! --Loren

Reply to
lcoe

Good, healthy stuff that!!

Use more of it. It is full of those good Omega3 fatty acids that have been found so beneficial to good health.

I have one of the ubiquitous "$200" bandsaws. When my neighbour faced the same problem, we took a cheap bow saw frame, punched two suitable sized holes in a length of worn bandsaw 14tpi bi-metal bandsaw blade and installed it in the frame. My neighbour reports it works a treat.

YES!!! (Don't ask! :-( ) Use the above hand saw suggestion instead - a piece of cake to clean.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I regularly use my WT band saw for cutting meat. I blow out the chips real well, put on a 4T blade, crank up the SFM to full bore and go to town. Cut up a hog for a friend this spring, and some frozen shark last month. Be sure to spray out the saw with carb cleaner afterwards, or it will stink and draw flys when the meat chips thaw/rot. Ive cut frozen and fresh. You can swab out the bottom of the machine with hot soapy water if you are of a mind to.

Also, with smaller items like mackarel, sometimes a good electric carving knife will work.

No biggy.

Gunner

"What do you call someone in possesion of all the facts? Paranoid.-William Burroughs

Reply to
Gunner

My band saw cuts more frozen tuna than wood. Clean up immediately afterwards.

I take the blade off and lightly scrub across the teeth with a floor-type scrub brush and some laundry detergent. Then I quickly spray it with WD-40, wipe it off with a rag (against the teeth, of course), and put it aside while I scrub the tires with 409 or other strong detergent. Then vacuum the guides and so on, brushing them while you go, using an old paintbrush to loosen the crud.

If you're a fisherman, you won't mind the slight smell that remains. It's hardly noticeable, really. If you're tempted to cut frozen steaks, or to steak a frozen ham, clean up the same way.

-- Ed Huntress (remove "3" from email address for email reply)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

You guys might enjoy this same-topic post from the Wreck a few years back.

(fulltext link below)

---------------------------------------------- Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps

Comprehensive Website Design ===========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Plasma!

Cheers, Stan

Reply to
Stan Stocker

Let them rip! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I lived on Kwajalein for a few years - there the fishing type trolled for Wahoo on the ocean side. These were special to us - being from the high desert of El Paso - they didn't have scales and only white meat...

Anyway - we cleaned and froze head to tail length. Once frozen, hacksaws were used to slab out steaks to Bar-B-Que.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn

If your going to cut frozen food, why not buy a professional food blade. They have a kind of a wavy tooth from instead of sharp teeth. Far easier to clean and not much "saw dust". Don Warner

Reply to
Don Warner

That is a great fish. Called the Ono (meaning "good!") in Hawaii if I remember right. It is the Pacific counterpart to the Barracuda and it is very much more edible than the Atlantic one.

It was considered one of the best fish for Sashimi when I lived on Oahu. It was always kind of a struggle when we caught one, half the guys were trying to round up the soy, ginger, and wasabe mustard so they could eat it raw and the rest of use were trying to get it on the grill.

Reply to
Jack Erbes

Buy a cheap bow saw for cutting tree limbs. 99 cents store. Toss it when done. Why mess up a perfectly good band saw with animal guts? And why mess up your food with metal shavings and who- knows- what- else you cut on that bandsaw? I guess you could peel potatoes with a Bridgeport mill.

Reply to
dann mann

No relation, although they have a somewhat similar profile. Having caught both, I'd say the wahoo is 3X as strong as a barracuda, pound for pound. Barracuda don't make multiple runs. A wahoo will strip your reel, and then turn around and do it again, and again. And those muthas are fast.

Wahoo has the most unusual, firm, meat-like texture, as well as the extremely good flavor you mentioned. They're great on the grill.

Funny wahoo story: My uncle, then about 75 years old, was returning from an ocean fishing trip to some Mexican islands, on a 110-foot boat out of San Diego, and he had a bunch of frozen wahoo and tuna to bring home to NJ. The captain of the boat bought a bunch of styrofoam coolers and duct tape, packed the fish with dry ice in the coolers and taped them up good. They'd never tried shipping them that way before but it looked good. Then they shipped the coolers as luggage.

My uncle fell asleep waiting for his plane out of San Diego. My wife, then a fashion buyer for Macy's and dressed to kill, had the job of going to Newark Airport after work to corner the fish, because the next plane out of San Diego would make my uncle a half-day late and I was in NYC.

She got there and the coolers were on the carousel, busted to hell, with

10-15-lb chunks of frozen wahoo and tuna laying all over the carousel. She tried to get a porter to help her gather them up but they wouldn't do it. So she took off her high heels and jumped up on the carousel, walked all around it and tossed the frozen fish over the side as she went.

Finally a porter got her a box, which she dragged around and filled with the fish, which were now on the floor. Then she grabbed a towel, jumped up on the carousel again, and retrieved the dry ice, which she stuffed in the box.

When I got there to help she had them all boxed up again, and the porters were standing around, asking how they could help her...a little late.

-- Ed Huntress (remove "3" from email address for email reply)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

A lot of the serious, old-time fishermen around here use bandsaws for this job. Most don't cut metal with them. I use a cabinet scraper to scrape the cut faces of the fish steaks clean after cutting them, if there's enough sawdust on them to bother my wife's delicate sensibilities.

Here's the quick-and-dirty way most people clean up their saws. After cutting fish, cut some soft wood. That will take care of the blade. Then take the wheel covers off, grab a handful of sawdust, and wipe the tires off as you turn the wheels around by hand. Saw some more softwood. Vacuum up the sawdust. The job is done.

I do it that way myself when it's late and I'm tired, or if I'm just lazy. My bandsaw does not smell.

Hmmm...there's a thought.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

[....]>

Ed, incredible story, hang on to that wife(!). deep sea fishermen(persons) do seem to take home the catch, no matter the bother/cost. my brother is taking care of a neighbor's place in Montana while they are out on a fishing charter somewhere in the Pacific. he fully expects to be rewarded with Salmon.

--Loren

Reply to
lcoe

There are purpose-made vertical bandsaws with meat grinder attached for serious hunters, serial killers etc.

For when you just have to get that moose transformed into a freezer full of sausages.

(Canuckian version from Busy Bee Tools)

77-1/2" Meat Cutting Blade for $19.95.

You can also mill a frozen corpse or two, as discussed here.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Ever used one or is this just dontopeditis?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

can't grok that word, but yes, i have used one, it's my Grizzly 4015. --Loren

Reply to
lcoe

'Been together 26 years. We're corroded together, an impact wrench and penetrating oil couldn't get us apart. Wait, strike that...

We need to justify pouring money into those holes in the water we call our "boats." Striped bass in the store costs around $8/pound. From my neighbor's boat, we figure it's $25/pound.

Still another reason to bring home the fish. You have to pay off the people who you need to take care of your life while you're out fishing.

'Hope it's good salmon.

-- Ed Huntress (remove "3" from email address for email reply)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

If you buy something like that, you're telling the world that you just work to support your fishing habit. That may be true, but it's something I try to keep quiet.

-- Ed Huntress (remove "3" from email address for email reply)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

i keep trying to find out just how many folks who fish salt water give it up because of sea sickness. one brother-in-law took a 19' stern drive (V-bottom) out on Puget sound frequently (he lived near Whidbey Is., Wa) and decided that a deep sea fishing trip would be a nice change.

he made just the one trip, they all got dreadfully ill, in just normal coastal swells. the larger boats, further from the coast s/b much better, i have been on Ferries which can be great fun.

but on the actual ocean (Pacific), three long voyages in the USMC left me with the same opinion: if you never get rid of the "queazy" stomach, why would anyone do this for a living? there was several level of sickness, depending, a typhoon off Acapulco sent the OD below and only the Bosins were left to run the ship, an APA w/5000 Marines aboard.

but even on calm seas, the 2nd or 3rd day out, it starts. you still can eat but you (most Marines) really never feel right until debarking. my brother will not give me a straight answer to this, he was in the Navy, four years as a Damage Controlman, 24-36 mos of it at sea. he does not seem to relate at all to my experience or want to discuss just how long it might take for the average dogface to aquire "sea-legs". my longest voyage was about 14 days.

would love to hear from anyone who has had to "aquire" sea legs. --Loren

Reply to
lcoe