[OT] English as she is spoken

I have another universal phrase which is well on it's way to describing every possible object

A 'roof jack' can be: A device for lifting a roof A bracket used to support a leveled wood plank on a sloped roof A bracket used to support a stop to prevent construction materials from falling off a sloped roof. A flange or collar around a roof - penetrating vent or conduit

Next, I expect a the phrase to be used to describe a kind of dessert.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I never heard that one but a cricket is a little diversionary mini roof in front of a chimney penetration that is down the slope of a roof.

Wes

Wes

That's a new one on me. I would have thought of this guy:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yessiree, when spoken by a furriner [or 2/3 of native (not Native) Americans], "Jiminy" and "chimney" sound a lot alike.

Won't Jiminy get sooty with that sort of flange replacement?

-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

I like my metaphors mixed, not shaken. :)

--Winstony Cricket

Reply to
Winston

I once heard a little Flux-core welder called a "cricket."

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise