OT false email on posting how to?

I notice a lot of users have a "false" email address displayed on their postings. How is this achieved?

I believe most of the messages containing a virus are sent as a result of email addresses harvested from google boards!

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Cramond

Google and usenet have little to do with each other, only that google is one of the many providers of access. I don't think you can post with a false email address on google. Simply create a mailbox you won't use on yahoo, and use that. I suggest something like snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Please make sure any email address you use is either one you own, or one that can never be valid, such as snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.invalid . Otherwise you may cause mail to pile up on innocent machines mail drives.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ian Stirling scribed in :

cool, anyone got B.Gates' real address? (-: or Dubyas for that matter

swarf, steam and wind

-- David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\

\ / ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail > - - - - - - -> X If you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know," / \ PLEASE pretend you don't know me.

Reply to
DejaVU

If I remember right, you have to be able to read the message that google will send to that address as you sign up, in order to be able to post.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Check out mailinator.com, you can create an instant, disposable email address to use for signing up for things. Stuff in there only lasts for a few hours before its gets cleaned out autmatically. Their FAQ is a good read. Spammers can send all the junk they want, no one will ever see it.

Reply to
Walt Hartung