OT Good news (from "who will be the first")

Mary's heart surgery went very well. I was there for 12 hours until she shooed me outta there to go grab some grub and call some people.

It wasn't as invasive as split-sternum surgery because it's done entirely via catheters threaded thru major veins from groin and elsewhere, guided by ultrasound, xray, computers and a bunch of technology. It's fairly new and not widely practiced, but already has a better success rate than a more traditional procedure which does require chest entry, splitting and spreading of sternum, and consequent long recovery with significant discomfort and disability along the way.

It's a complex procedure that can take from 6 to 9 hours, a lot of high-tech kit and I don't know how many people in the operating theater. Hers took six, which I immediately regarded as a good omen.

Prognosis is sometimes not clear for two to three months but she's already ticking like a Timex, a very good sign.

The doc seemed quite pleased with her progress, his performance or both. I intend absolutely no disrespect there, quite the contrary. There isn't a speck of arrogance about this doctor though he is obviously highly respected at this hospital which is among the 100 best cardiac centers in the nation. Luck of the draw, we happen to live close. We both like how he presents.

All signs were good as of 1730 today. She'll spend the night in ICU and probably come home tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for good wishes and prayers. Mary had a bunch of "prayer warriors" (her term) on her six.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Great news, Don. Keep us informed.

Don't worry about doctors who seem to be caught up in their "performance." Like top actors, scientists, generals, and many others, they need extraordinary confidence and ego to do their job. Without it, they're useless. After it's over is the time for them to worry about the patient. Until then, it's their show, their pride of performance, and their extreme self-confidence that carries them through.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Was that one of the new mitral valve clamps by Abbott?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

MIDCAB? Glad she's doing well and you folks are in good hands.

Reply to
Denis G.

Remediation of atrial fibrillation, valves not involved.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Not MIDCAB, remediation by ablation of atrial fibrillation which isn't usually life-threatening but can be (and has been) a significant quality-of-life issue.

Until very recently, the response to afib has been: "get used to it" or "suck it up", usually expressed somewhat more diplomatically. It's not life-threatening like v-fib but it can strongly affect quality of life.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Real big yea!, Don. Give her all our best wishes.

Reply to
cavelamb

Don, congratulations.

Ignoramus18864

When she feels stronger and more alert, I'm guessing that you might have some increased competition at the shooting range.

Reply to
Denis G.

Now spoil the heck out of her when she gets home.

Reply to
Buerste

A friend of mine had ablation procedure a few months ago, and is feeling fine now.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 01:12:49 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman scrawled the following:

Great to hear, Don!

Scary shit, Maynard. Laser or RF? What did they actually vaporize? Was there a growth next to the atrial valve or muscle?

Long ago, in a spine very close to me, doctors wanted to go in with an RF probe and nuke the nerves going to my right arm to relieve pain. I said "MICROWAVE MY SPINE?" and "Um, don't the nerves tell me when to stop twisting so I don't sever my spine? What happens when I don't get those signals and keep twisting? Wouldn't it paralyze me?" When the doctor answered "Yes" to all three questions and added that it was a new technique that he, himself, hadn't yet used, I said "Um, pass."

15 years later, Crom, nature, and time saw to it that I was 85% improved. Now, 25 years later, I'm putting up decks (with care) and such.

Pass on a "Heal quickly, Mary!" message for me, will ya?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah! It's been a while since her last range visit!

Reply to
Don Foreman

That's great news, Don!

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That's great Don.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

My best to you and your wife. I understand exactly where the two of you are right now because I had the same procedure done 6 yrs ago in May. It was (and remains) successful. Its good to hear they shortened the process a bit mine took almost 15 hrs, not that I could tell but it was hell on the wife. The doc I had sounds similar to yours, kind, modest and caring. He took an enormous amount of time to explain the procedure, the risks and educate me so I could ask questions. I can't say enough good things about him or his staff. It was about 2 weeks of "intense" recovery (mostly the ill-effects of being in a drug induced coma for 15 hrs) a year of anti-coagulant therapy and follow up visits but worth not having to take 3-4 cardiac meds and other meds to lesson the side effects of the first 3-4 meds for the next 40+ years.

If my experience can be of any use to you just ask

6 yrs no fib

Andrew

Reply to
EIsmith

Don, My father had the same type of problem and the same procedure to deal with it. One thing he didn't pay attention to was the recovery phase the Doc's wanted him to follow. As a result he had to go in again and they did some more work.

Make sure she allows the healing to take place. It may annoy her to not do certain things, and she might complain, but it is essential to let the heart recover.

Reply to
Steve W.

Roger that! She'll heed the doc's instructions. I'm more worried that she'll discover she likes having me do some tasks that have traditionally been hers.

One thing she definitely won't do is complain.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I will definitely tell her tomorrow about your good experience. Thanks for sharing it!

They decided to keep her for an additional day but we're quite sure she'll be released tomorrow.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Good to know. I'll tell Mary. Thanks!

Reply to