OT? Heavy Metal Stereo Speaker Project Pics

Reply to
JR North

Old Nick wrote: took his built amp and basically rebuilt

The term is "Muntzing"

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Real cool! I read part of it and will return later when I have more time.

Thanks!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Great taste in music! Susan and I enjoy jazz ( West coast stuff, especially out of the 50's) and classical, but mostly the baroque.

Have you explored Jacques Loussier? Great French pianist playing classical in a jazz idiom. He has several albums titled Play Bach, volumes I, II, etc., plus more, including a Vivaldi album. He's likely one of the finest pianists going today. He is accompanied by bass and drums. Wonderful sound, lots of soul.

Like you, no black plastic stuff for us, either. Lots of horse power, though.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 23:52:39 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos" shouted from the rooftop:

A lot of money back then- the price of a decent car.

This web site

says JBL actually sold blueprints for the Paragon. Wonder if any exist?

It also notes that the workers- craftsmen- didn't strictly adhere to a set of plans, but knew how to build a great speaker by eye. Neat.

Folded bass horn, trumpet midrange and treble. They are a bit bright.

Nah- they were 'transmission line' enclosures- the woofer was fully enclosed except for a tube/baffle arrangement that exited at a front-facig port. The baffle was tuned at the factory to work in phase with the speaker cone. Or something like that- it's been years. The Time Window was almost a bookshelf speaker but it sounded like something much larger. The magic was in the cabinet design.

-Carl "If you don't have enemies, you don't have character"-Paul Newman

Reply to
Carl Byrns

And then read about his car manufacturing company. Interesting guy.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:24:44 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

I guess the thread topic means you do not fit in with the OP? Great taste in music! Susan and I enjoy jazz ( West coast stuff, especially

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted child would do this?"....the internet seems full of them. It's very sad

Reply to
Old Nick

snip----

Yep. Hard to believe when you look at prices today. As badly as I wanted the Paragon those days, there was no way I could justify buying one, although the price was less instrumental than the size. The speaker is

8'-7 5/8" long, so demands a large room. Back then I had no wall that would accommodate it, nor justify the speakers, anyway. As you say, speakers like that really do demand a large room.

Hard to say. I still have some original JBL literature, which also mentions the cost of prints. In the JBL publication PL66, the price of the Paragon is $2,250, and prints for the enclosure could be had for $36.

I'd question the variations, if for no other reason, manufacturing and assembly fixtures. The catalog suggests an OAL of 8'-7 5/8" long, and ours is. Didn't check other dimensions, though.

As are the JBL's. Driven hard, they can cut like a knife. That's why I suggested that not everyone likes the sound of horn type speakers. The speakers built by McIntosh, Bose and Bozak all use banks of cone type speakers in place of horns to develop their bold sound. Much softer, but power hogs of the first degree. I have a hunch you could use some of those systems as heaters!

Interesting. JBL apparently had problems with their low end on their small (relatively speaking, they are far from small) cabinets, so came up with a variation on tuned ports by adding the passive radiator to some of their speaker systems. To my knowledge, they built infinite baffle enclosures otherwise. The Olympus enclosure, for example, could be fitted with the S7, S8, or S8R speakers. The R is, of course, the passive radiator, which is a speaker minus magnet and voice coil. It works diametrically opposed to the woofer, by compression or vacuum, such that the woofer is permitted greater throw. Can't say how it works as compared to a ported enclosure, but they seem to develop a pretty decent low end, clean and crisp. It's easy to see them work,. naturally out of phase by 180 degrees. The Paragon, by contrast, doesn't have the passive radiator, but has in its place an exponential horn of sorts, so it develops a reasonable low end as well.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Will do! I saved the link for when I have a little time to burn. Thanks.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos