OT - How to estimate weight of a crate?

There is a vast wealth of information in the brains that reside on the NG and I need to tap that please.

I've got to get a quote on shipping one of my large copper sculptures across country. I will need to make a crate for it. But before I can do that I need to give the potential customer a shipping costs estimate. I need to be able to estimate the weight of a crate. I've never made one before and have no idea of what it might weigh. Wondering too how much such a crate would cost to build. Any help would be appreciated.

The item to be crated is 8.5' tall, 5.5' wide and 2' deep. It doesn't have to be upright to be shipped. You can be view it here, it is the second set of pictures at the bottom;

Appreciate it, Lane

Reply to
lane

From the looks, it's not that heavy so I'd probably use 1/2 ply and 2by2s for the box, using '1 5/8 deck screws' to fasten it together. Too bad the dimensions are over the 4by8 standards, so you will have a fair amount of 'scrap' left over. You might be able to design / layout the panels to get say 2 boxes out of x sheets of material to minimize waste. Extra

2by2s can be used,as 'clamps' to hold the piece from moving,use bubblewrap or old carpet to keep from damaging the piece. If you prenotch the ends you can add 2by2 'handles' for lifting it. Be sure to chamfer the corners though, I hate slivers! There won't be more than $100 in materials.weight less than 100#. I've built many 'odd ball' shipping containers that have gone all around the world and none have failed. Considering the price of the product, better to over build than cheap out on the box!

hth Jay in Greensville,Ont.

Reply to
j.b. miller

Make a sketch, then do a tally of all of your lumber and plywood pieces. Convert all of this to cubic inches or cubic feet. Doug fir weighs about 33-35 lbs/CF. Work the math from there and you'll have an approximate weight. Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady

I just ran the numbers out. That is one stinker to box up!! Assuming 2x2 lumber for edges and various stiffeners plus plywood, I came up with 180' of 2x2 and 5 sheets of plywood! 3/8" CDX runs about 30 pounds per sheet so you are looking at 250 pounds or so for the whole crate.

I can sometimes get "cover sheet" plywood that is used to protect the top and bottom sheets of a stack of hardwood plywood for $1 a sheet. Advantage is that it is lightweight as well as cheap. It always has band marks fork marks but who cares.

Any chance you can redesign it so it disassembles??

lane wrote:

Reply to
Roy J

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:27:29 -0800, "lane" brought forth from the murky depths:

Most of your answers had plywood as a material. It's way too heavy in that size. Since the thing will be exposed in the garden, it doesn't have to be protected from the weather. Build an OPEN minimal frame of 1x4, 1x6, and 2x2 pine. It's light, strong, inexpensive, and available. Use spruce if you can find it. It's half the weight.

Now you'll have to figure out what kind of padding will protect both the patina and the object. Trucks vibrate a lot so you will have to protect against abrasive movement. Pad the possible vibration/rubbing points such as the verticals and the top of the arch. Brace between the legs so a drop won't collapse it.

Best suggestion: Call some trucking and moving companies. Ask them for crating quotes. Quote those to the customer whether you do it yourself or not. Best include a bit of patina with the shipment in case they get a rub-through, too.

P.S: My favorite suggestion was the old carpet to pad a $750+ work of art. It's heavy, ugly, dirty, and crass. Heh heh heh!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks to all who contributed to question. I appreciate it. Your comments were just what I needed.

Lane

Reply to
lane