OT - How to Scare Off Coyotes?

It's a good practice, but to do it successfully requires a bit more subtlety in the execution.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

True enough. Coyotes cannot be domesticated. The best you can do is come to an agreement with them. I understand that dingos are similar. Now a cross breed between a dog and a coyote..coydog, may..may be domesticatable..but frankly..its not worth the effort.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

Its far simpler to simply mix in some antifreeze with the raw hamburger.

But its an ugly ugly way to kill any animal. And you may kill some that you dont want to kill.

Best to simply head shoot em.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

And the 'red mist" the Swift makes as its trademark tends to not leave a wounded animal to crawl off and suffer.

Gunner, who has used the 22-250 with equal success on yodel dogs, or the .243 in heavy barrel out past 400 meters when the .22 centerfires run out of steam.

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

A long term solution for the OP is electric fencing, expensive but works 100% and is totally non lethal.

ED

Reply to
ED

The 22-250 is certainly one of my most used guns as is my .223. I just love the 22-250 for varmit catagory, into why coyotes fall.

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked! "The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still only worth $1..... ~~~~ } ~~~~~~ } ~~~~~~~ }

Reply to
TCC Taking Care of Carol

I was really rooting for one of the local coyotes to make a meal of the yappy minpin behind us.

Reply to
Rex B

Larry, if you figure out a solution to that problem, let me know. I have the exact same problem behind me.

Rex

Reply to
Rex B

how about antifreeze? Cut the side open on a gallon jug and put it out where they frequent Keep your other pets away. Idea two... Paint balls filled with pepper spray or some other foul material. Idea three... archery practice silent but deadly

Reply to
daniel peterman

I recall a couple cases over the years where curious small children managed to trigger an M44, even though the setter followed all the directives for signage etc etc. Including IRRC..an illegal alien who was coming over the border.

No survivors.

Reply to
Gunner

snip--

. The idiot owners allow it to bark for hours at a time all hours of

I went through that with a neighbor years ago. His dog would light up late at night and bark endlessly. I started calling him on the phone---letting it ring until he answered, then hang up. It often took a large number of rings to arouse him. I did that several times until he finally got the message. He wasn't a neighbor I could talk to-----had a tendency to ignore not only us, but the balance of the neighbors----so that wasn't an option. Want to remain anonymous? Be certain to dial the code that prevents caller ID from identifying you.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Real bad idea. It attracts all kinds of critters, most of which are desirable.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

That's a new one to me, but anythings possible. M44's are a restricted device, and with good reason. But much better than compound 1080, which is an extemely lethal substance and very dangerous IMO The big sheep outfits hire arial gunners and trappers paid for with public funds. There's a wolf working east of here that is wrecking havoc on the sheepmen. They make coyotes look good.

ED

Reply to
ED

Hartmann whistle and a TV satellite dish. A Hartmann whistle can produce extremely intense ultrasound -- 150 dB or so. 120 dB is threshold of pain for humans. 150 dB is 1000 times the sound power of 120 dB. A Hartmann whistle runs on compressed air, can be easily made with a lathe and perhaps a couple of silverbrazed joints. Instant canine headache at ranges probably as far as a barking dog would be bothersome.

The wavelength of 22 KHz ultrasound is slightly shorter than Ka band microwave, so beamwidth (and gain) will be even better with ultrasound than it is with microwave from Ka band satellites. Beamwidth would be about 1 degree half power included angle, , which is an "illuminated region" of about 42" dia at 200 ft.

The trick would be to discover where the device points, and then put a sight on it for aiming at an actual target. A piezo tweeter makes a pretty good ultrasound microphone for testing.

I have started to build one of these twice. The offending dog moved away both times before I completed it. I still have the dish, though.

Reply to
Don Foreman

If rock salt does'nt catch their attention, they can't be salvaged. Same goes for marauding dogs (sheep, chickens, cattle etc).

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Don, I'm not quite grasping what you intend. Do you mount the Hartman whistle at the focal point of the dish, or do you run it through a microphone/amp/tweeter?

For that matter, why not mount the whistle at near the offending fenceline, connected, with a remote-actuated air valve?. Could be a pull-wire, or some sort of R/C item.

That would also probably affect the noisy teenagers at 2:00 AM > >

Reply to
Rex B

Sinse the fox family and I think a pair of Coyotes moved in a few blocks away (undeveloped parkland and stormwater management area)the rabbit population has really dropped of. Still too many of 'em, but not so bad you can't drive down the road without hitting a few any more. Wish something would start feasting on the tree rats!

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Heh. Doggy-B-gone meets home shop machinist/EE.

Telescopic sights. Parabolic dishes. Home-built stepper motor azimuth/elevation drives.

Closed loop tracking system.

Poor coyote doesn't have a chance. He'll have to start importing the poor things to provide a proper target-rich environment for the testing phase.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Around here you just call the Authorities. At $600 a crack, it doesn't take long to get the message across!!!!!!

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I live outside city limits, and glad of it. I'll put up with the barking dog as part of the many freedoms I enjoy without things like city inspectors, firearms restrictions etc.

Reply to
Rex B