OT: I'm Busted for shoplifting

So, I'm in a big box store looking for a non-disk MP3 player that would use

110vac. It seems that most are recharged from a computer USB cable. The little kid in the department didn't know the products at all, I understood them better in a quick walk around. He said there's no such thing, until I handed him a wall-wart with a USB plug on it. I said, with a bit of sarcasm: "Thanks anyway, I'll get what I need on eBay, you might want to at least try to learn a little about what you're selling!"

About then my phone starts vibrating and I start searching jacket pockets for it on the way out. I get stopped at the door and told to go to the office. OK. In the office I am confronted by the manager and he tells me, a bit rudely, that an employee saw me pocketing merchandise from the MP3 department. I said: "I have not stolen anything, What do we do now?" He started to respond while looking down his nose but I cut him off saying: "First, call the police." He said they were already on the way. "Second, you can strip search me if you like but it has to be on the sales floor and if you find anything that doesn't belong to me, I will give you a certified check for $20,000 however, if you don't find anything, you give my naked ass on your sales floor a gift card for $1,000...in front of everybody. (The place was packed and I was looking forward to it.)

Just then, the local cop, Lieutenant Larry walked in, looked at me and said: "Hi Tom, how the hell are ya'?" I told him: "About to be very cold" and proceed to tell him the WHOLE story. Larry looks at the manager and says: "Do you want me to rough him up a bit before I strip him down on your sales floor?" The manager starts to stutter and Larry asks me to wait outside. I then hear a person get called to the office shortly followed by this kid walking to the office with a triumphant smirk aimed at me. A minute later the door opens and the manager asks me if I would accept a $50 gift certificate and an apology. In the background I could see this poor little boy, beet red as Larry was explaining the repercussions of false accusations. I looked at the manager with sunken shoulders and said: "Ya' mean the strip-search is off, DAMN?"

I guess I just look the type...NOT!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Heck, Tom,

How com you get to have ALL the fun?

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher

And you thus contrived to skip with the loot with the blessing of yer bud Loot Larry. NICELY DONE!

Reply to
Don Foreman

I know that there are 4 pins on a usb cable. If you cover the data pins, you can plug your mp3 player into your computer w/o it thinking that you want to download something to it.

I use a car cigarette lighter to usb adaptor to charge my palm, my cell phone, and my mp3 player.

As far as the loss prevention thing. I'd not be that friendly. I'd stand my ground on the store floor and wait for them to say or do something actionable.

I keep a digital voice recorder in my pocket all the time. Doubles as an mp3 player. Having an impartial record can be priceless.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

You gotta be guilty as hell, Tom. Artful bluff raising of the ante to shrvivel the noogies of a functionary, along with a bit of stealth. Neatly done!

We had to buy a new stove last week because the oven control in old stove went inop and I found that parts are no longer available.

Damn, new gas stoves are pricey!

We selected a model. When it arrived we noted a sheetmetal crease in a place where it won't show nor impair function, but a notable defect nonetheless.

The delivery guys called it in. Good guys, they did not minimize the defect at all but called it as they saw it perhaps even generaously. I'm inclined to doubt that they noticed the holster for Nana Mary's .38 S&W lemonsqueezer on the kitchen table beside the morning paper and the peppermill on the little quilt, but they might well might have noticed that the floor where newstove was destined to go was squeaky clean with oldstove pulled, taped shut and ready to haul.

Both were black guys but neither spoke Ebonic which was very he'pful to me because my hearing gives me enough trouble even with Omaha English. Tallguy was sharp as a tack with a Somali accent which I can understand with no problem at all. The other shorter guy was dumb as a bowl of mice but could probably dead-lift a railroad safe without breaking a sweat. They functioned well as a small team. Return call for remedy: would we accept a $50 gift card? I put Milady on the line because she is more tactful than I, hears better than I, is a former beancounter and perhap more ruthless than I --love that about Her Gentleness. There was the matter of discount to sell damaged goods on floor and the cost of hauling twice, Her Gentleness knows how such things work.

Bottom line, we got a rather good deal on that stove. I'm batchin' it just now as she is abroad (as in visiting elsewhere) but I get by in the kitchen passibly some days. Gotta tellya I'm liking that gas range just fine.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Isn't she always?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Did you take the opportunity to sell them some MP3 cleaning brushes?

Reply to
DT

You should have asked for a $1000 gift card..from their competitors...

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

You don't KNOW how bad I wanted to get naked! In retrospect, I'm ashamed that my mind went there. IT WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN PRETTY!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I would have demanded a public apology from the little snot, wherever the most people would see it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

p.s. - my cell phone is a usb charging thing - either the computer or the

120v power pack that has a micro USB on the end.

Hum - USB micro size - get a cell phone charger - 120v. Maybe they have them already and just tell the USB thing to hype the computer nerds!

Oh - I use micro to pull the pictures and data off my cell and charge as I sit at the computer. I also have the power pack handy when the computer is off.

Rats about the big bucks...

Martin

Mart> So, I'm in a big box store looking for a non-disk MP3 player that would use

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

That should have been at least $500 to cover your wasted time and embarrasment Alan, in Gosnells, Western Oz. VK6 YAB VKS 737 - W 6174

Reply to
alan200

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but "Tom Gardner" wrote on Sun, 11 Mar 2007 05:18:11 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Exhibitionists! The best way to punish them is tell them they're going to have to keep their clothes on... :-)

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I didn't know they existed. If you don't mind: ;-)

What do you have now?

What would you buy now if yours broke or was stolen?

Thanks.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I bought an Olympus, and bought it because it had a longer warranty period. They are very useful, both in overt and covert mode.

Know whut uh mean, Vern?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Olympus WS-300M

Likely the same thing, maybe one with more memory since I use it as a flash drive also.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Most cell phones have that function. I don't know how long they would record, I've never used mine.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

I think my cell is in minutes. This cheapy digital recorder does 6-12 hrs depending on if you want stereo.

I wish I had bought a palm pda back when they hade voice recorders built in. One less thing to carry.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

I've been eying the POGO (Model PRYM4LX, other units with more memory available direct from POGO) units for sometime now (years). They still cost too much for my pocket book, but I really could use the programmable recording feature. They also work as a voice recorder and MP3 player. Around $180 See:

I'm still on dial-up, hence it would be easier to record the radio shows I would like to listen to at another time rather than download...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Hi Wes,

From what I understand this can be done with some of the new satellite (Sirius, XM) offerings. No way can I justify the monthly charges right now. If I was a cross country trucker I might give it some consideration...