OT I need advice on computers

Friends,

I use Outlook Express, and am running Windows XP. Please----no sermons. I am not very bright where computers are concerned, and am pleased to be able to do as much as I can. I don't have the time nor the inclination to change.

OK-----the problem. My ISP upgraded equipment lately, which cost me connection speed. I used to connect routinely @ 49,333, but the normal connection is now just 26.4 kbps. While they offer a high speed connection, it isn't available to us because of our location. To add insult to injury, since the upgrade they made, when "friends" send large files, they often download time and again. They download, then I get an error message as if they haven't, and the process starts over again. It's done that for several repetitions on occasion, but it doesn't always do it. In order to stop the madness, I have to access my page on the ISP site and delete them to stop the downloads. The latest trick is when that happens, I go there and there is nothing to delete, yet when I go back to OE, it downloads what isn't there.

Yeah, I know------that makes no sense, but it's happening and driving me nuts, to say nothing of the amount of time it's taking up when I can least afford the loss.

What I'd like to do is set limits on file sizes that are accepted. I'm not sure I can do that, but if I can, I have not been successful in finding how it's accomplished. I'd like to set a limit of 1 mb on file size, with anything larger bounced back to the sender. Perhaps that will discourage those that send huge files. Asking politely hasn't yielded much in the way of cooperation------likely because the senders have high speed connections and don't remember how aggravating it is to receive a 4 mb file that you don't want.

Anything you can offer in the way of guidance would be appreciated.

Sorry Nick, I realize things like this drive you nuts.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

In IE 6 .. Click on "tools" then "message rules" then 'mail" , under "conditions" scroll to "where message size is more than size" check mark it, then select an "action" then specify what size to set as a limit. hope this helps, Clay

Reply to
Clay

That should say OE 6 Clay

Reply to
Clay

Harold,

Does your ISP offer a web browser based option for reading you e-mail? If so, you can use that to preview what is there and delete big files w/o downloading. Just leaving them in your inbox will eventally use up your allocation so just not downloading them isn't an option.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I have been where you are. The people you have to deal with have other things to do than to actually take time to solve a problem, so they give you the quick answer that makes most people "go away". They are not bad people, they just don't understand that, without customers, they don't have a job.

It is hard to believe that an equipment "upgrade" actually cost you speed. You paid them for what you used ot get and, unless they cut your cost in half, you should get at least what you paid for. I suggest that you contact the ISP and complain politely, but firmly. If that doesn't work at first, ask to talk to the supervisor of the person on the phone. Keep going up the line until you get some help. I think we had a similar problem some years ago. The trouble was that when they did the upgrade, they set their modems at some low default value that simply needs to be adjusted. Another possilbiliy is that your end is set at that speed, but the previous hardware/software on their end was ingoring it and going as fast as it could (training up). Another possibility is that there is something wrong with your phone lines, that the previous system worked around somehow.

If your ISP is not the same as your phone service provider, contact the phone service provider, tell them of your problem and ask them to check your lines. They can do this easily and electronically. We have always maintained 2 phone lines out here in the country, as we have even had to switch phone numbers ON THE LINES to get things to work, until the phone company finally put in the effort to solve the real problem.

I would be that last person to give you a sermon about your software, but I will suggest that you keep on top of the ISP and phone company until this is solved. This COULD mean calling the same number EVERY day until you get satisfaction. YOU are the customer. "Solved" means that you are back to something close to 56K baud on a regular basis. The problem with people sending you big files is only going to get worse as time goes on. Besides, you will neeed updates from time to time.

I held off going to a hi-speed connection for several years even though my wife and (grown) kids kept buggging me. But, finally, about 1 1/2 years ago, I gave in to a 500K baud DSL connection and I am not sorry, but have a little less money to spend on tools for the shop.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------------

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Someone mentioned getting your line speed back up to the 50k range. If the line speed suddenly drops, that is usually a line noise problem. Have the phone company check it out. Or it could even be a line problem inside your house if you have multiple phones, try disconnecting all the phones in the house and see if you get better line speed.

The multiple downloads problem sounds like OE is not properly clearing the files on the server after downloading them. That is either a problem with your OE settings or the server is not accepting commands correctly.

I use Mozilla (Thunderbird) which has settings that let you download small e-mails, lets the others expire. OE should have the same settings.

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
JR North

Harold,

Search on google for pop3 scan mailbox This is the 1st one that came up.

You can see the file size and who it is from. Delete the mail you don't want. Then download using OE.

This might be helpful even if you get your speeds back.

Note: If I read email with pop3 scan mailbox, then my mail client shows it as read when I download it. I assume OE would do the same.

Wayne D.

Reply to
Wayne

If his service is DSL, this can backfire. I had lightning damage to the lines, and water getting into buried cables, and the phone co. was out every few months to try to find a decent pair of wires to use. I started out with 14,780 ft of cable to the CO, and DSL worked quite well, as long as the line wasn't totally grounded out. By the time the Phone Co. was done, I was at 19800 ft, and DSL no longer worked. Since my DSL provider was NOT the phone Co, I was SOL. So, now I have to pay extra for a business cable modem.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Take a look at mailwasher at

a separate program that lists the e-mails to be downloaded *without* downloading them. You can see the size of each attachment without downloading, and can delete any email you don't want. You then use OE or whatever to download those you haven't deleted.

I started using it several years ago when I was bombarded by 100's of

50k e-mails every day. I was on 50k dial-up and it was no joke having to wait up to an hour to read emails that had to be deleted. Mailwasher reduced that time to just minutes per day.

There are 2 versions: the free version and the "Pro" version. The latter has a learning facility with which you can teach it which e-mails you like and those you don't. After a week or so it gets amazingly accurate.

Reply to
lemel_man

mail washer is a good program to do that. I ve been running it for years and it allows me to filter, delete and bounch emails if I wish.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Gary, My sincere appreciation for the link. I am now the proud user of the free program, and thus far it is doing a great job. We are finally avoiding those killer big downloads without problems.

Thanks to all that responded. It sure is nice knowing I can turn to others when I am at a loss.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos