OT Implant done

According to my father, it was certainly noticeable and got your attention, but probably wasn't actually more hazardous than reaching down to tune the radio. Of course, you get to choose when to adjust your radio, and hopefully you avoid doing so when you're changine lanes or something, and you don't get that luxury with the implant firing.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Leo. Please reread the portion: "She said both were not good days."

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"SteveB" Leo. Please reread the portion: "She said both were not good days." ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I did read that. My concern has to do with safety. Many people subject to seizures are not allowed to drive at all. Where does this fall on the scale between *perfectly safe* and *too dangerous to be permitted*?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Actually, the defib malfunctioned. She was not having fibrillations at the time.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I have no clue, Leo. Do you do everything you are told to do by doctors, instructions, or people who are "supposed to know"? When I got out of the hospital for heart bypass surgery, I was instructed to NEVER EVER TOUCH a power tool again. I said, "Sure." The truth be known, if a secret survey were done here, I imagine there would be some who were driving without a license, driving with conditions that their DMV would like to hear about, and doing things that their doctors wouldn't approve of. Many people who have seizures are allowed to drive. Many people who have serious conditions (including even seeing clearly at 50', as do many octogenarians) get renewals, and are usually only yanked AFTER a major booboo.

I have an ascending aortic aneurysm. If it pops, I'm dead in a pool of blood in eight minutes. The state has not pulled my license, although I did have to furnish a doctor letter in order to get a driver's license and handicap plates in this state.

If we all read the book, followed directions, and took doctor's advice, what a beautiful thing it would be.

It just ain't gonna happen on our watch. No matter how many laws they produce.

Is there anything in your personal closet you'd like to share with the group? Do you do everything you're supposed to? Or are you a perfect individual just commenting on the weaknesses and flaws of others?

It starts out, Hi, my name is Leo and ..................

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

For persons with ICD's, welding while flyfishing is not recommended.

Reply to
Don Foreman

And stay away from graphite flyrods during lightning storms. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ah, I hadn't heard of a case like that. In my father's case, he went into fibrillation twice over a period of roughly ten years.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I've welded and electric arc cut underwater, and "getting bit" isn't all that big a deal. It sure does eat the chrome and plating off yer hardhat, though. I am curious as to what the additional elements would do. But I sure would want to hear from someone else who has tried it. I got some old scuba gear. Any volunteers?

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

Yeah, they can kick in when there are no symptoms present. My sis never did figure out what triggered hers. She said it was like getting kicked by a horse, and since she spent a lot of time on a farm and in the woods with mules, figgered she had BTDT.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:24:55 -0800, the infamous "Leo Lichtman" scrawled the following:

A defib event isn't exactly a seizure, Leo, and since the leads are on the heart, it wouldn't be as much of a body whomp as paddles are. I'd like to hear what happens to folks who have experienced it, though.

Steve, what did she say about the physical aspects of the events?

------------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician! ===========================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:24:55 -0800, the infamous "Leo Lichtman" scrawled the following:

From

"ICD therapy: You may or may not be aware of when your ICD detects and corrects your heart rhythm. Often it depends on the type of therapy you receive:

  • Pacing ? you may or may not feel the impulses ? usually they are not detectable * Cardioversion ? shock feels like a thump on the chest; discomfort does not linger * Defibrillation ? you may be unconscious (passed out) and not feel the shock. If you are awake, the shock feels like a kick in the chest; felt for only a moment."

So, if Steve's sister had 2 really bad days, she may have passed out before the defib kicked in both times.

------------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician! ===========================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:23:21 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman scrawled the following:

You owe me 1 new keyboard and 1 new monitor, ya sumbish. Milky tea all OVER the place...

------------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician! ===========================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"SteveB" wrote: It starts out, Hi, my name is Leo and ................. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Hi, my name is Leo, and I'm a little pissed off. Nothing in any of my comments implied that I am perfect, and I am not talking about the imperfections of others, unless I include you. Your initial response was abrasive, and this one is worse.

I think I was raising a legitimate question: "Can a defibrillator cause an auto accident?" Joe Pfeiffer's response was appropriate: "According to my father, it was certainly noticeable and got your attention, but probably wasn't actually more hazardous than reaching down to tune the radio. Of course, you get to choose when to adjust your radio, and hopefully you avoid doing so when you're changing lanes or something, and you don't get that luxury with the implant firing."

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Triple A CAN be repaired you know. Oh and it will take MUCH less than 8 minutes if it goes. The good thing is you won't make much of a mess, the blood usually fills the abdominal cavity and any spaces in the tissues before it leaves the body.

And it would not make an appreciable difference in life expectancy or unexpected death due to stroke or heart related problems. You can be in perfect health and be very fit and still drop dead of MI or stroke.

Here is an interesting item that is making the rounds of EMS. Care to guess who is having a problem with spontaneous pneumothorax? Tall skinny males. Why? Nobody knows.

Reply to
Steve W.

Wow, Leo! Sorry if I hit a nerve there, bud. Apparently you are not ready to talk about it yet.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I don't think the batteries in those defibrillators have enough power to weld anything.

;-)

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Probably so. That said, probably less so than if a driver who needs a kick doesn't get it, e.g. obese, never-exercising, artery-clogged old smokers that are heart attacks waiting to happen with no on-board remediation means. With no supporting data, I'd guess that there are considerably more of those extant than there are posessors of ICD's.

The safest road isn't necessarily the one with no one else on it. That's certainly true when you're the one with a problem you were't prepared for.

In the UK they have magnetized signs for cars and motorcycles with big red L's on them to identify Learners. That's a great idea. Perhaps we should have big red signs saying ICD, inferring that other drivers should be particularly attentive and stay well clear. Man, I'd love that! That'd be like driving an APV in rushhour traffic.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I liked George Carlin's idea of STUPID stickers. People who saw others driving badly would put the sticker on their car. When a cop saw a car with several STUPID stickers on it, they would watch them or pull them over.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Maybe once or twice, Paul. I'd bet that much of the volume of my unit is lithium battery. It can deliver at least one and probably several

41 joule shots. When I repaired photoflash units as a kid I learned that 50 joules would vaporize the end of a respectable screwdriver, waking parents with a report like a .22 rifle which was NOT a good idea.
Reply to
Don Foreman