OT - In Defense of Religious Marriage

Here is a proposed Constitutional Amendment codifying marriage entirely on biblical principles:
A. Marriage in the United States shall consist of a
union between one man and one or more women. (Gen 29:17-28; II Sam 3:2-5)
B. Marriage shall not impede a man's right to take concubines in addition to his wife or wives. (II Sam 5:13; I Kings 11:3; II Chron 11:21)
C. A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed. (Deut 22:13-21)
D. Marriage of a believer and a non-believer shall be forbidden. (Gen 24:3; Num 25:1-9; Ezra 9:12; Neh 10:30)
E. Since marriage is for life, neither this Constitution nor the constitution of any State, nor any state or federal law, shall be construed to permit divorce. (Deut 22:19; Mark 10:9)
F. If a married man dies without children, his brother shall marry the widow. If he refuses to marry his brother's widow or deliberately does not give her children, he shall pay a fine of one shoe and be otherwise punished in a manner to be determined by law. (Gen. 38:6-10; Deut 25:5-10)
Think about it! Does this sound like the America that you want to live in? Do you think that codifying marriage entirely on biblical principles is a good idea?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Far be it for me to enter in a political-jabbing thread but:

Them Hebrews knew how to have fun. ;)

Somewhere else in the Bible it says that Moses had to create a law for divorce anyways, "because humans are too stubborn" (or something like that). Plus all the other stuff that you skipped over in the New Testament, which corrects a lot of things in the Old. And, of course, since you're trying to make a point by using a well-accepted text, I wouldn't be suprised if the above (some snipped) are all you could find, no matter how out of context.

in?
Obviously your post is one of extremism that can never happen, for instance one of the founding principles for instance is against descrimination by race or religion.
Tim
-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics, - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games: http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

in?
a
Nope and nope to both ?'s.
BTW what is marriage and why do we need it?
"Get a taste of religion, lick a witch"
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bernd wrote:

A piece of paper which gives privileges and preferences to a special interest group defined by people who have the piece of paper. It also used to be a way of claiming that certain types of sexual conduct are illegal. In fact it was illegal to HAVE sex without the piece of paper. It was even illegal to rent a house or stay in a hotel room with a person of the opposite sex, without the piece of paper.

We don't need it for anything.
Harvey (the one & only "TRUE" GOD)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Gary wrote:

Divorcees need it to collect alimony.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What? Should David Webb get a divorce to collect more antimony for his lead alloying?
:^)...
Tim
-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics, - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games: http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Only if he's dyslexic.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I don't know what Bible you're looking at but the King James version has virtually no connection to the passages you cite, or, your citings are so completely out of context that they are meaningless. For example, your point C seems to state that virgins shall be executed. If you actually took the time to look this up you would see that the woman was getting stoned for *LYING* about being a virgin. The next verse talks about stoning the man if he cheats on his wife. Etc...
I'm not advocating either side of this issue other than to point out that your particular post is nothing but a bunch of contrived crap, which I'm sure is designed to specifically to take a cheap shot at religious principles in general.
Robert

in?
a
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Siggy wrote:

You are kidding, right? All of those "religious principles" are being enforced on hundreds of millions of people all over the world, right now.
Harvey (the one & only "TRUE" GOD)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hang on hoss...
No one is debating the fact that religious principles are being enforced on hundreds of millions of people worldwide. If you read the post you would see that I am debating and criticizing the original poster's attempted use of Bible verses to back up his point, when in fact the cited Bible verses have absolutely no relevance to his argument, other than attempting to make it appear like his argument has some merit.
Robert

so
took
for
man if

that
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Siggy wrote:

Wrong. In fact the cited Bible verses have absolutely no relevance to his argument under YOUR interpretation of them. Are you one of them middle eastern souperstitious fundies who claims to have the only "TRUE" interpretation of the ignorant middle eastern superstitions?

Wrong.
Harvey (the one & only "TRUE" GOD)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Got Foorp?
Mike
"That religion, or the duty which we owe to our Creator, and the manner of discharging it, can be directed only by reason and conviction, not by force or violence; and therefore all men are equally entitled to the free exercise of religion, according to the dictates of conscience; and that it is the mutual duty of all to practice Christian forbearance, love, and charity towards each other." Virginia Constitution 1776
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Harvey... angry at God too!! Thanks haven't gone your way? Life hard? Bitterness working on you? You and Gary have a little spat?
Mike
The Articles of Confederation of the United Colonies of New England; May 19, 1643
"Whereas we all came into these parts of America with one and the same end and aim, namely, to advance the Kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ and to enjoy the liberties of the Gospel in purity with peace; and whereas in our settling (by a wise providence of God) we are further dispersed upon the sea coasts and rivers than was at first intended,............""
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That there shall be no establishment of any one religious sect in this Province, in preference to another; and that no Protestant inhabitant of this Colony shall be denied the enjoyment of any civil right, merely on account of his religious principles; but that all persons, professing a belief in the faith of any Protestant sect, who shall demean themselves peaceably under the government, as hereby established, shall be capable of being elected into any office of profit or trust, or being a member of either branch of the Legislature, and shall fully and freely enjoy every privilege and immunity, enjoyed by others their fellow subjects. 1776 State Constitution N.J.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:43:10 GMT, Santa Cruz Mike
......and in reply I say!:
And where do atheists, agnostics etc stand in all of this? It sort of allows for Muslims
"no establishment of any one religious sect in this Province, in preference to another"
As written it's hardly religious freedom by Law.

**************************************************** sorry
.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email
Spike....Spike? Hello?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
----- Original Message ----- From: "Siggy" (clip) If you actually took the time to look this up you would see that the woman was getting stoned for *LYING* about being a virgin. The next verse talks about stoning the man if he cheats on his wife. Etc...(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^ So, Siggy, is it your position that stoning, when seen in context, would be an appropriate form of capital punishment? Is it your position that the death penalty is an appropriate penalty for lying or adultery?
Or, can you agree with me, that the Bible is not the place to look for modern law?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Robert.. Robert... Don't mind Cliff. He is avoiding answering old questions by trying to create new ones!
Mike
Cliff's bowl has a 10 unit/inch outside diameter and a 30 unit/inch outer circumference and a 5 unit/inch depth. The diameters have a .005 inch tolerance. And no Virginia PI does not equal 3.00000. So how does Cliff make this bowl?
Prove that God does not exist. Which version of SmartCAm did you use to know so much about it's abilities? What Smartcam template files have you created or edited to understand the code generation possibilities of Smart Cam? What CAD/CAM system do you use on a daily, or weekly, ok monthly basis to program with? What is AIDS? Why is considered an AIDS death? What causes AIDS?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I am not opposed to same sex marriage.
John Scheldroup

in?
a
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
John Scheldroup wrote:

I am not opposed to same person marriage.
Why should I be denied marriage to myself? I love me. I'm capable of having sex with me. I could easily raise a family. Most importantly, unlike half the multi-person marriages I WILL STAY WITH MYSELF UNTIL DEATH DO ME PART! I would never have a second marriage, not even if my spouse dies. There will never be any 'cheating' in my marriage because any extramarital sex will HAVE to have the approval of all parties in the marriage.
Hmmm, the only downside is that married people will no longer be getting special treatment and preferences if everyone were able to be married.
Harvey (the one & only "TRUE" GOD)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
John Scheldroup wrote:

What about samish sex marriage? http://www.newyorker.com/shouts/content /
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.