OT: Is it Ebay or is it Norton that is broken?

I tried to cruise Ebay this morning and all of a sudden, Norton tells me that is blocked a "Risk" and so I can't sort a search anymore. Any click I make on Ebay gets me a similar message from Norton. Is it Ebay that mada a change or is it Symantec (Norton)?

Pete Stanaitis

David Courtney

AVAST isn't having any problems with Ebay.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It's a Craigslist worm :) JR Dweller in the cellar

spaco wrote:

Reply to
JR North

I've experienced similar blocks from hack/spitMS crapVista's protection software that is more than just an annoyance. So I change the settings if I can find them.

The AVG ver8 doesn't announce any real threats, so I disregard the other warnings.

I suspect that the "triggers" for these events aren't necessarily eBay's crap, but different types of (unknown to me) provoking tools used by the advertisers in the numerous flash/other animated BS ads, or "enhancement tools" used by the eBay sellers to make their auction listings unique/special (all useless crap to me).

When I encounter these useless "features" I generally just look for another source that wants to sell products, not impress potential buyers with stuff intended to amaze or delight 14 year olds.

Any time that I've used Norton or McAfee products, I was dissatisfied. They appear to be unnecessarily complicated and/or overly annoying.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

since Netscape is no longer supported, I started using Firefox (Mozilla).

one of the add-ons from Mozilla is a flash blocker (Flashblock 1.5.7) that has completely won my admiration.

NONE of that stuff runs now unless I want it to.

Dave, Bon, Wild Bill, Get rid of that MS POS... C'mon, guys, join the 21st century.

Richard

Norton IS a virus.

Reply to
Gunner

I'll second that motion. Firefox is super!

Alex

Reply to
Alex B. Graham

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 00:59:47 -0500, the infamous "Wild_Bill" scrawled the following:

Ditto here. And the first time I installed Norton, my computer died. It turns out that there was a virus which keyed on the installation and killed me. I had to use another computer to download the fix, then clean-boot my dead box. What an effin' PITA that was. But Slymeantics will never get another nickel of my money after the attitude the pulled one year. Peter Norton, absolute God of the DOS era, had sold his soul when it came to Windows programming and Slymeantics. RIP, PN.

When AVG raised their prices twice in one year, I bailed to Avast and have been happy.

-- At current market valuations (GM is worth less than Mattel) the Chinese government can afford to buy GM with petty cash. --Bertel Shmitt on kencan7 blogspot

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Virii are better written than Norton.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
[ ... ]

[ ... ]

And Opera (for Solaris and other systems) has an option to turn off all plugins -- which you can turn on and off on a site-by-site basis. I have it off by default, and on only when I feel that *I* benefit from running it.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Amen! I recently bought a new computer with Norton pre-installed. I cleared it out before I did ANYthing else.

Then I installed Avast free hom edition, then Firefox/Tbird. Also get rid of Adobe Acrobat Reader and use Fox-It.

Reply to
RB