OT Isuzu NPR Truck

I've been watching non-CDL flatbed trucks on ebay for some time now to get an idea about what is available and how much they cost. Some day I'll buy one. But for now a guy can dream, can't he?

I was very curious about this one:

I don't know much about Isuzu NPRs but there sure seem to be a lot of them on the roads in my area. I like tilt cabs because of their greater maneuverability. I like automatic transmissions because my area is congested. I like the size of this truck (14' bed, not too big, not too small). I can't tell if the bed is wood or steel (it seems to be covered with snow). If it had a liftgate on the back it would be perfect for my needs.

For some reason, this one seemed to have sold for between 1/3 and 1/2 the price of other trucks of similar age and mileage (at least according to my observations). Is there something special about a stakebed truck that makes them less useful than a normal flatbed truck? When the stakes are removed, isn't the bed just like a regular flatbed but with some rectangular holes near the edges, or a rub rail around the outside? Or is the 14' bed an uncommon size that is not useful for most people?

Reply to
Albert

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 23:49:26 -0800 (PST), with neither quill nor qualm, Albert quickly quoth:

I looked into getting one of these before I settled on a Toyota Tundra last year. They're wonderful little HEAVY DUTY trucks. After driving one, and noting that you'd need a kidney belt to drive one around town daily if it weren't loaded, I saw why they're not really considered daily drivers. Yes, the shortbeds are less attractive to people using them to make money on hauling things around. I like them because they're much more nimble and easier to navigate around tighter spaces.

There's a guy in town here with and old Isuzu(?) LCF-style truck with a 7' bed. He makes and hauls around kids' playhouses with it. It's cute as hell and does a great job for him.

Another reason they sell for cheap is that brand new, they're only $35k, about the same as a half ton pickup from American automakers. Go test drive one from a used lot and see if you like it.

Isuzu has been the leader in these small trucks for 32 years now. they may have some Chebby parts, but they're certainly not your typical GM falling-down-wreck.

If I were to buy one, I'd look into getting some lighter springs installed so it would be easier and more comfy to drive.

Go for it. They seem to run forever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They are a GREAT truck

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

We use these trucks in the UK with tilt & Slide recovery beds. They're cheap to buy which is the only good thing I can say about them. The Mitsubishi equivalent (Canter in UK) is far, far more superior in build quality & engineering.

For our needs they are cost effective as we have to renew our trucks after 3yrs (contractual obligation) but even after this short life we can expect little re-sale value.

They fall apart, they rattle, the electrics were wired by a 3yr old apprentice & the cabs are uncomfortable for anyone over 4' tall. I'm shocked that the handbrake system ever passed UK type approval, we have to chock the rear wheels to pull anything onto the bed with the winch.

The engines are good & reliable, I can't remember one of ours ever needing work other than routine but the chassis/cabs & electrics need almost constant attention from our recovery mechanics.

If you need a rugged/reliable workhorse stay well clear, if you need something only for occasional use then they can be had cheap, we part X our trucks as you can't give them away in the used commercial market.

Reply to
Bogwoppitt