OT-Liberal media - joke

Insecurity? Or was he simply getting pissed at the Lefties trying to get him to spew a Kerry soundbite? Something Kerry could use in his campaign ads. Notice also...absolutly NO questions about the economy? Why was that? The biggest concern among the US public according to most polls is the economy..so why did the reporters fail to ask anything even peripheral to that subject?

Cause there was no political hay to be made discussing something that is rapidly improving, despite all the doom and gloom the Left has been spewing for the past couple years.

Gunner

"A vote for Kerry is a de facto vote for bin Laden." Strider

Reply to
Gunner

Ah, yes. Like "Roger Denney"/"Silverback"/"GDY weasel" of talk.politics.guns.

A search on the above names in tpg just does not match:

Offbreed

Who plans on giving up sex because it's been around for a few billion years?

Reply to
Offbreed

Gunner wrote:

I actually thought many of the questions could have come from a wise conservative standpoint and postured him for a good end result to a tough question. I didn't say the pres. was insecure although he did start to boil up. I was pointing more at the statements I made about the average conservative who lashes out at being zinged. The pres. of course is above average.

Notice also...absolutly NO questions about the economy?

Why was that? Did you even pay attention? The white house made it specifically clear that this was a press conference about Iraq. Bush even brushed off questions that didn't stay "on point" and kept the conversation specifically on Iraq. He, and the white house, were crystal clear that this was not a "what's going on" press conference. It was done to ease the public following the worst week seen in Iraq and no sign of a clear solution.

Did you hear him say "I have many _must calls_"? In case you haven't figured it out yet, these things are all orchestrated to a point. The president knows who he is going to ask (except for the few wild cards at the end if he chooses), the administration knows for the most part what positions these reporters hold and therefore what type of questions and how aggressive they are LONG before they are selected for the list. If they don't feel the pres. can effectively field the question the reporter doesn't get on the "must call" list and will surely not be one of the wild cards. The reporters are then told the pres. will not respond to questions about the election, economy, whatever as this is a press conference on Iraq. All the work is done for you, and yet you still find a way to reach for the crowbar.

I don't recall the left being the only one(s) concerned about the economy. Many, even those on the right (my accountant and F.A.), have been clearly watching and very concerned about the path we are on. In fact, most solid sources are saying that this _may_ or _may not_ be an upturn in the economy and is more over fueled simply by low interest rates caused by the fact that the US dollar has been plummeting for years. I personally don't see how it can be sustained when we have steel prices going through the roof causing many large projects to go on hold or be abandoned as there is no definitive time span for when the increases will settle out. Fuel and energy prices are on the rise and continued to do so for the foreseeable future. This is all in the process right now of trickling into _everything_ we consume. Steel and fuel go up, everything goes up. Anything shipped or manufactured (everything) will be increasing in the coming months as the steel industry, nor the manufacturing industry, can absorb such increases. Food, tools, lumber, nuts, bolts, saw blades, hydraulics, on and on. Friends of mine who own distributorships for products heavily reliant on the steel industry are receiving new price lists daily for products that wouldn't be increased for months. These new price lists are only good for a couple months as they will have to increase again every couple months if this continues. Our steel supplier is only honoring quotes for

1 week at a time. They have indicated that at the very earliest this will continue into 05'. My last quote on steel was up substantially already and is rumored to possibly double in coming months.

I feel it will continue to swell (like a brake caliper on a disk) until the beast slows but there is merely a toe on the brake pedal right now. We will see, but I don't think this is a solid recovery by any means. I definitely hope it is. This isn't to sound like a dooms day thing by any means as it is not, it is merely part of the cyclical process.

Mark

Reply to
Mark & Shauna

Anyway....back to the point...

Reply to
Duck Dog

Honestly sir if you are equating gunner's stupid jokes with sex then you need to get out more. That's pretty sad.

Jim

jim rozen

Well, you've got to admit that gunner's joke was pretty f*cked up....

[sounds of crickets chirping]

I'll stop now ;-)

Reply to
Duck Dog

My point being "old" does not mean "ready to be replaced".

Reply to
Offbreed

2+2=4 is a corny, very old saying. But it is still true. Im sure that replacing it with 4/2=2 is equally valid, but does not convey the same idea.

Gunner

Some may decry the impeachment of William Jefferson Clinton as a national trauma, but not humorist P.J. O'Rourke, who thinks the proceedings are a win-win situation

-- and grand entertainment to boot. Mr. O'Rourke, writing in the latest issue of the Weekly Standard, acknowledges that "some earnest souls have gone so far as to aver that impeachment has distracted President Clinton from ... raising taxes, destroying health care, appointing 1960s bakeheads to high political office, soliciting felonious campaign contributions, hanging friends out to dry for Arkansas real estate frauds, giving missile secrets to the Chinese, taking credit for the benefits of a free market about which he knows little and cares less, using U.S. military forces as fig leaves for domestic scandals and au pairs for the U.N., leading foreign policy back into the flea circus of Jimmy Carterism, having phone sex, groping patronage seekers, and snapping the elastic on the underpants of psychologically disturbed school-age White House interns entrusted with the task of delivering high-level government pizza." Ouch. Tell us what you really think, P.J. "No matter what, Bill," Mr.O'Rourke concludes, "your girlfriend's ugly, your wife hates you, and your dog can't hunt."

Gunner

A valid point. Under most circumstances.

However that stupid joke is "old" and it also is most certainly 'ready to be replaced.' Everyone has their favorite jokes. The "pull my finger" type, if you will.

"My wife's such a pig. Every time I go to piss in the kitchen sink, it's full of dirty dishes."

or

"What did one hat say to the other? You stay here, I'll go up on ahead."

or

"We will sell no wine before it's time. What time is it,

10:45? Sell the wine!"

or

"My wife bought me tie for my birthday. It's got a bull's-eye on it!"

etc.

Point being that they're so hackneyed and predictable that while we still use them in our household to comment on events, we have gotten to the point of using a number to denote each joke, to save time.

So from now on, Gunner's moronic Nile joke is christened "Number 137." All he has to do is append "no. 137" and this will save him the time of typing it out in all its verbosity. And we all will get the full and certain benefit of his irreplaceable wit, without having to slog though it line by line. Er,, letter by letter.

182

Jim

jim rozen

Uh, actually, that's the first I've heard of any of those.

Reply to
Offbreed

You really *do* need to get out more!

Three machinsts meet at cabin fever, and they get to talking. One is a methodist, one is a catholic, and one is a mormon.

The first guy says proudly "I've got four kids, one more and I could have a basketball team."

The catholic says "heck, that's nothing. I have *8* kids, one more and it's a baseball team!"

So the mormon naturally has to chime in "this all sounds great fellas, but you guys are small time. I have 17 wives. If I got one more, I could have a golf course."

Jim

jim rozen