OT: Need a hand

Would someone with a minute to spare please try this URL and tell me if they can see the article?

I need to pass it on, and it appears you can get into it without a subscription to The Economist, but I have one and can't really tell if it recognizes me after I log out, or not.

Thanks. It's a hell of a good article, BTW, if you're able to see it.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On the way Ed. See if it's what you thought it was. I don't have my subscription on this box so there isn't a cookie.

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Thanks, John. Yeah, that worked.

I can never figure out which of their articles require a subscription and which ones don't.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yep. Firefox V3.0.5

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Thanks, Jon. I should have qualified that request by saying "if you don't have a paid subscription to _The Economist_. If you do happen to have one, let me know, Ok?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Hey Ed,

I was able to go to that webpage and "read" the article about former President Bush, by just double-clicking the link you gave, if that's what you meant. I don't know what the Economist is, and I don't have a subscription for sure, and I didn't have to "log-on" or anything.

Take care.

Brian Laws>

Brian Lawson

Great. Thanks, Brian. That's exactly what I needed to know. Now I can bother my friends by sending them e-mail and telling them to read it.

BTW, if you're interested, _The Economist_ is a British magazine (they call themselves a "newspaper") that some people consider to be the best magazine published in English. Slightly conservative in the balance, and quite conservative on economic matters, they have been fairly supportive of Bush over the years (they supported his election in 2000), but without any real ideological bent. So this article is quite a surprise.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Well Ed, that's the nature of journalistic integrity isn't it?

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Sure. And I believe _The Economist_ has more of it than almost anyone else.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ed,

Let me confirm that I also got to see the full article by clicking on your link.

I have no subscription to the Economist. I enjoy some of the articles and the one on the Porsche take-over of Volkswagen was a riot once one read the reader's commentary. The actual article sounded a little distasteful but the reader's commentary filled-in-the-blanks as it were.

I use Firefox.

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher

Here's the headline from what I got. . .

George Bush's legacy The frat boy ships out

Jan 15th 2009 From The Economist print edition Few people will mourn the departure of the 43rd president

No subscription, but the artical appears to be available.

Fire fox 3.0.5

Bob rgentry at oz dot net

Reply to
Bob Gentry

Thanks, Wolfgang. They publish some good stuff, don't they? They're good with titles, too. "Locusts in Lederhosen" was one of my favorites.

Which Porsche-VW article are you referring to? "Squeezy Money"? People who aren't following this event probably don't know that Porsche pulled off a George Soros on the short-selling ghouls by pulling a fast one with VW stock. The subhead for that article is "How Porsche fleeced hedge funds and roiled the world's financial markets." They played some real hardball, making an estimated $7.5 billion - $15 billion in three days.

_The Economist_ was torn between admiration for Porsche's "handbrake turn" and moral repugnance.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Thank you, Bob.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Came through fine, no subscription.

Reply to
cavelamb

Ooo-k. Thanks, Richard.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Set up a copy of firefox from portableapps.com on a thumb drive and use that copy (without credentials) to check links you are interested in sending.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Sorry, forgot to mention that. No, no subscription.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

A good idea. But I only do this once every year or two. So I'll forget, and probably come back here and ask again. And I'd probably forget where I left my thumb drive, and what was on it, anyway. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Seems like a very balanced and fair review of your ex-president's achievements.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

It opened for me but I wouldn't begin to try and read it WAY over my head I'm sure. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick