OT: Need a hand

Would someone with a minute to spare please try this URL and tell me if they can see the article?
http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?story_id 931660&fsrc=nwlgafree&source=most_commented
I need to pass it on, and it appears you can get into it without a subscription to The Economist, but I have one and can't really tell if it recognizes me after I log out, or not.
Thanks. It's a hell of a good article, BTW, if you're able to see it.
-- Ed Huntress

http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?story_id 931660&fsrc=nwlgafree&source=most_commented
On the way Ed. See if it's what you thought it was. I don't have my subscription on this box so there isn't a cookie.
JC

Thanks, John. Yeah, that worked.
I can never figure out which of their articles require a subscription and which ones don't.
-- Ed Huntress
Hey Ed,
I was able to go to that webpage and "read" the article about former President Bush, by just double-clicking the link you gave, if that's what you meant. I don't know what the Economist is, and I don't have a subscription for sure, and I didn't have to "log-on" or anything.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXX On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 12:56:16 -0500, "Ed Huntress"

Great. Thanks, Brian. That's exactly what I needed to know. Now I can bother my friends by sending them e-mail and telling them to read it. <g>
BTW, if you're interested, _The Economist_ is a British magazine (they call themselves a "newspaper") that some people consider to be the best magazine published in English. Slightly conservative in the balance, and quite conservative on economic matters, they have been fairly supportive of Bush over the years (they supported his election in 2000), but without any real ideological bent. So this article is quite a surprise.
-- Ed Huntress

Well Ed, that's the nature of journalistic integrity isn't it?
JC

Sure. And I believe _The Economist_ has more of it than almost anyone else.
-- Ed Huntress
On Jan 24, 2:25pm, "John R. Carroll"

Ed,
Let me confirm that I also got to see the full article by clicking on your link.
I have no subscription to the Economist. I enjoy some of the articles and the one on the Porsche take-over of Volkswagen was a riot once one read the reader's commentary. The actual article sounded a little distasteful but the reader's commentary filled-in-the-blanks as it were.
I use Firefox.
Wolfgang

Thanks, Wolfgang. They publish some good stuff, don't they? They're good with titles, too. "Locusts in Lederhosen" was one of my favorites. <g>
Which Porsche-VW article are you referring to? "Squeezy Money"? People who aren't following this event probably don't know that Porsche pulled off a George Soros on the short-selling ghouls by pulling a fast one with VW stock. The subhead for that article is "How Porsche fleeced hedge funds and roiled the world's financial markets." They played some real hardball, making an estimated $7.5 billion - $15 billion in three days.
_The Economist_ was torn between admiration for Porsche's "handbrake turn" and moral repugnance.
-- Ed Huntress
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 11:39:35 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

<20 minutes later>
Seems like a very balanced and fair review of your ex-president's achievements.
Mark Rand RTFM

Yeah, I think it's a very good piece, and it's very similar to my own judgment of events, but I was surprised at the way they structured it. _The Economist_ doesn't usually use such a dramatic structure, with the buildup and then the balance at the end. More often they use an essay style, in which the caveats and counterarguments are presented at the beginning.
-- Ed Huntress

Set up a copy of firefox from portableapps.com on a thumb drive and use that copy (without credentials) to check links you are interested in sending.
Wes

A good idea. But I only do this once every year or two. So I'll forget, and probably come back here and ask again. And I'd probably forget where I left my thumb drive, and what was on it, anyway. d8-)
-- Ed Huntress

Somewhere in the house is a 4GB and 8GB thumbdrive. I bought the 8 when I lost the 4. I bought the 4 when I lost the 1. I found the one after I bought the 4, I found the 4 after I bought the 8. I guess it is time to buy a 16 so I can find the 8 and the 4.
I hope that is isn't a progression series ;)
I gotta look into using truecrypt for anything I want to keep private since these things are way to easy too lose or misplace.
Wes
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 05:26:22 -0500, the infamous Wes

Invest in a keychain model. I bet you won't lose -that- one!
------------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician! ==========================================

Well, you know what I'm talking about, then. These neat little electronic devices have a way of getting lost.
-- Ed Huntress
John R. Carroll wrote:

It opened for me but I wouldn't begin to try and read it WAY over my head I'm sure. :-) ...lew...

Jeez. It's a simple political analysis, not an econometric matrix. 8-) (can't find my hat...)
-- Ed Huntress

BS "over my head I'm sure" NOT
JC
Ed Huntress wrote: