OT: New Brain Study

I can understand why; it's worked before, and more than once.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

What'd he say? Sorry, I was only half listening.....

Reply to
Dave Lyon

It's Microsoft's fault. Surprise surprise. Remember, Microsoft follows standards, like salmon follow caribou.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

According to Dave Lyon :

[ ... ]

As it shows here. My article had as the "Subject: " header:

and your Outlook Express took the first "OT: " to be "Re: " in some language or other, and removed it, and the following "Re: ", and replaced them both with a single "Re: ". It only left the "OT: " which followed the real "Re: ".

And -- I now see what it did.

It must be the fault of your newsreader, OE. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Is this the same Dr. Drew Westen that wrote " Oh to be a Goy at Christmas "

Dan

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Reply to
dcaster

Nice try. All the sources I found using Google said that the results were the same for Democrats and Republicans.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Ever see one of those posts that you can't for the life of you figure out what or who the heck it's answering?

This is one of those posts.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
dcaster

================= I was surprised they could find any activity at all....

Uncle George

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

'

As an outsider to the process, I can see damn little brain activity on either side. I suspect that if most of the political posters were in hospital, the life support system would be shut off>

Tom

Reply to
Tom Miller

Well, there's your problem, Google. You, like many others today, have become Google dependent for everything. Sometimes one has to rely on the good old methods of personal research and observation. For example, you couldn't find what the actual researcher said on Google. You should have tried CNN. That's where the story was and where I saw it. By the way, one of the researchers was being interviewed in person and he was showing the brain scans to the interviewer. As he did this he was demonstrating the differences in brain activity in different brains that was evidenced by areas of the brain that were showing different colors. One other thing, it was the researcher who specifically mentioned that the republican's brains were the ones that showed higher levels of emotional reaction, and he mentioned that the Democrat's brains showed that facts and issues affected them more. So, there you have it. If you still need more proof I'd suggest trying to find the story in CNN's archives, in which case you can see it for yourself.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

"Hawke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Or you could read the article in Neurology Today which questions the science and motivations behind this "study." You'll probably have to use Google Scholar to find it though.

Meanwhile there is the NY Times article:

CNN's web site is pathetic, I can't find anything archived there.

Reply to
D Murphy

Is this it?

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

So I did look up the transcript in CNN's archive. And it did not say what you claim it said. It did say that Drew Westin said that the Republicans were more aware of how emotions affect reasoning and implied that their political advertisements were therefore more effective.

But it did not say anything about Republicans brains showing higher levels of emotional reaction than the Democrats. Nor did it say that the Democrats brains show that facts and issues affected them more.

So as you say, there you have it. Proof that your emotions affect how you perceive what CNN actually broadcast. Your Democratic brain rejected some of the facts which disagreed with your beliefs.

Similar to how Glens brain rejected the idea that Drew Westen has a terrific sense of humor.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I read the CNN transcript, and other sources that described the research, and none of them support your original statements about the findings of the research. OTOH, the fact that you drew the conclusions you did is consistent with the findings of the research: in effect, you became part of the experiment. What's surprising to me is that you were affected in spite being aware of the nature of the article. Apparently, you couldn't ignore your own bias, or, more likely, you consider yourself unbiased.

This whole thread, while amusing, makes me glad I'm neither Dem nor Rep!

David

Reply to
David R. Birch