OT: New Microphone Technology

Hi all,

If these things actually perform as the article suggests, undoubtedly they'll soon be everywhere...

Be sure to view the link within, including it's little video. Note the author seems to have an issue with reporting of numbers...

Erik

Reply to
Erik

I can believe it IF the delay technology is there to vary the delays in appropriate small intervals. If it's done in Analog I have a hard time believing it, but if they are converted to digital it could be OK but still a bit tricky. I've done some work in those directions and am impressed. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

No more difficult than CT scanning or Phased array radar jk

Reply to
jk

So, how is this different from a parabolic, or a shotgun mic, other than the 1,000X price tag? ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

VERY(!) different in terms of capabilities. A physical collector to a single microphone will have serious limitations imposed by the physics... With the proper signal conditioning you can very much exceed those limitations. Also, the array can process as many directions at once as you have processors, or if all the microphones are recorded, you could go back and find anything you wanted to, later. Not so at all with the parabolic.

Reply to
Cross-Slide