OT pet anoyance

For Christmas, I'm trying to find something that will really annoy the 2 mini-schnauzers. In the past, something like the electronic cat/bunny type moving toy didn't even get a look yet chirping Christmas tree ornament drove them nuts...for a while. My life achieves meaning from freaking-out the dogs. It's a two-way street, I get a flying dog in my lap when fast asleep in the "Bark-O-Lounger" or "We have to go out NOW, even though we were just out ten minutes ago and we know you're on your way to bed" or "There's a leaf blowing around the back yard and we must bark in dis-jointed harmony even though you're taking a nap" The little bastards need a BIG payback...any ideas? Any recipes?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

a live cougar?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Tom, Add a cat to the mix :>)

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Add a birdfeeder to the backyard where visible from the back door. Be sure to use a premium wild bird seed with sunflower seed, nuts and dried fruit in it (no millet or milo). At the worst, there will be birds to bark at, but in all likelyhood there will soon be squrrels all over it in sufficent quantity to annoy anyone within earshot. If you're really lucky, you'll attract a black bear to get excited about like a few neighborhoods not far from here discovered this past spring.

Either that, or dress up as a deliveryman and ring the doorbell. Delivery people are so rewarding to bark at--they always leave! "I bark, he leaves, it must be working. Do it again!" Or if they're like our dogs, you don't even need the deliveryperson, just the doorbell. A remote doorbell, maybe?

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

A varmint-predator call sends my mutts over the edge. Visualize of the vocalizations of a tortured, dying rabbit. Pretty well irritates anyone else in the area too..available in a mouthblown versions or via various recordings. Also try the mouse squeeker too.. SWMBO has banned such devices in her presence.

DE

Reply to
DE

You need DogTV, and plenty of Windex.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

I bought a little blue box about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It was cheap, and I mean less than five bucks.

It has a button that you press to get the dog's attention. It is silent to humans. My Rott/Lab mix is one tough dog, but she heads for the back yard whenever I punch the button. My Corgi turns into a snapping snarling chainsaw it hurts him so much if I hit it more than a couple of times. It usually only takes once and a loud NO to make him quit the offending behavior.

So, what I do is when they are bad, I hide it in my pocket. I walk over to them and loudly say NO or BAD DOG while hitting the button through my shirt. I'm pointing to them with my right hand and punching the button through my pocket with my left hand. Key is NOT to let them see the thing, or they just take off.

It isn't perfect, but it sure as damn helps. Also, if I go to someone's house that has a knucklehead dog, I hit them with a beep about the time they jump up. I also tenderly knee them, but just a little. I say NO. The people don't have a clue about the box.

I go to many people's house, and they say, "I wonder why Lassie jumps up on everyone but you."

I just say I have a way with dogs.

Look at Big Lots, 99 cent store, or those cheap catalog magazines you get in your junk mail.

Damn fine little invention, and you can use it with out everyone getting on your case about it. Just keep it in your pocket.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Got a hawk call for use while quail hunting. It is supposed to freeze the birds so you can kick them up one at a time. I tried it on my Welsh Corgi. I thought he was going to take the front of my pants leg off.

SO here has also subsequently announced rules of engagement re: animal calls indoors.

sheesh

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Do this AFTER equipping the mutts with Electric-Shock "No Bark" collars - set to MAXIMUM!

FWIW, SWMBO's mini-Schnauzer barks ONLY when we're around. (This was tested by using a VOX-activated recorder.)

Reply to
RAM^3

Remote controlled car/truck with a bunny costume

Reply to
williamhenry

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:48:35 -0800, "SteveB" wrote:. I tried it on my Welsh Corgi.

I have several dogs and each has a different trigger that will set them off. One of mine will go ballistic if I get out a tanned coyote pelt. And if he gets ahold of it he will shred it. The other dogs could care less about fur, but go off on a stupid squeeker ball.

DE

Reply to
DE

Well, this won't really annoy th' mutts much, but can be fun for humans to watch. Most dogs love peanut butter. Put a glob of it on their snouts, just above their nose and watch 'em. For bonus points, and if you can pull it off, stick a glob of it on their asshole and pull up a front row chair. Don't do this *inside* of your house.

It shuts 'em up, for awhile anyway. Well, except that POS Pitbull a buddy had that'd go around in circles (tail chasing style) and growl at me every time it hit th' 180 degree mark.

I'd advise one doesn't partake of refreshing beverages whilst watching this... likely to exit yer snot locker at a high velocity.

Snarl

Reply to
snarl

The little squirrel bastards have been seen with their front paws on the sliding door glass peering in the house saying "Where are the doggies, can they come out and play?" They know the exact extent of their runs and stay just out of reach or they sit on the wire with the tails going a million mph. The word "Squirrel" is a MAGIC word that starts a chain of events that includes vocals and searches. Or, just knock on the wall right in front of them. Or, they are "resting" on the furniture and maybe they might move one eyebrow.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

AND I THOUGHT I WAS A SICK FUCK....I BOW TO THE MASTER!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Bichon @4AM barks to get out but I have to chase her around the dinning room table a few times first before I can put her collar on. Solution: I open the fridge as though to get her a carrot, she jumps onto her chair at the counter, I swoop in with her collar and the next thing she knows, she is out looking for a puddle (next to her left foot, she lifts the right one) in the currently leaf free (winter - snow cleared) area of the back yard. I get the devil for teasing her. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

You'd like to think you are smarter but...

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tried that, they ignore it.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Reply to
JR North

I have one of those little blue boxes - if anyone wants it for teh cost of postage - contact me off the list - you can find my email on my web, wbnoble.com, or unmangle the address below by removing spaces and making appropriate symbology substitutions

willia m_b _no ble at msn daught com

Reply to
William B Noble (don't reply t