OT: President Reagan knew value of gun ownership

> [...]

> >By Alan Gottlieb and Joe Waldron > >History will remember Ronald Wilson Reagan as one of America's greatest >presidents, but long before he was recognized as the man who won the Cold >War, or was the hero of countless "B" movies, he was a genuine hero to a >woman named Melba King. > >According to recently-surfaced reports, when Reagan was a radio >sportscaster in Des Moines, Iowa back in the fall of 1933, he came to the >rescue - gun in hand - of King, who was then a 22-year-old nursing student. >King recently recalled the incident to a Des Moines television station, >noting that a mugger had come up from behind to rob her, outside the >rooming house where Reagan was living. The robbery was thwarted when Reagan >appeared in a second-floor window, gripping a .45-caliber pistol, and >telling the mugger to "leave her alone or I'll shoot you right between the >shoulders." > >Small wonder, then, that the man who would later become president >understood the value of gun ownership. During his time in office, President >Reagan signed the Firearm Owners Protection Act, which was written to >protect law-abiding gun owners from harassment for merely exercising their >constitutional right to own firearms. > >President Reagan most assuredly understood that honest gun owners are not a >threat to anyone, and neither are they a threat to national security or >their own neighborhoods. After all, the man took a bullet less than three >months into his first term, yet he never used that as an excuse to make his >office a bully pulpit for gun bans or repeal of the Second Amendment. He >clearly separated the act of madman John Hinckley from the everyday actions >of millions of legally-armed citizens. > >When he was in office, his detractors repeatedly alluded to him sneeringly >as a "cowboy." Not coincidentally, the so-called sophisticates and >intellectuals of another era said that same thing about another great >president, Theodore Roosevelt. President Roosevelt, of course, was the >genuine article, having worked a ranch in Montana and once bringing in some >outlaws at gunpoint. Roosevelt was a hunter, shooter and a pretty >courageous soldier, so being called a cowboy did not seem to bother him, >and neither did it bother Ronald Reagan. > >Cowboys, you see, are widely known in both legend and fact for their >ability to face a problem and just deal with it. Confronted by a stampede, >cowboys don't call for a public opinion poll or gather around the campfire >to confer with one another, they jump in the saddle and stop the stampede. > >Ronald Reagan came from America's heartland, where they still understand >the difference between talking and doing. Not too many years before >Reagan's birth, the good citizens of Coffeyville, Kansas did it "the cowboy >way" when the infamous Dalton Gang showed up to attempt the nation's first >dual bank robbery, on Oct. 5, 1892. It turned into a disaster because the >armed townsfolk literally shot the Daltons to pieces. > >Sixteen years prior to that, the residents of Northfield, Minnesota reacted >swiftly when the James-Younger gang robbed their bank and killed a teller. >Northfield residents didn't call a town council meeting to "find a >solution." History documents what happened to the James-Younger gang that >day. > >Perhaps that "cowboy" philosophy is what separates great men from those of >lesser accomplishment. Who else but Ronald Reagan could have challenged >Mikhail Gorbachev to "tear down this wall," and see it happen? > >Mr. Reagan was later to acknowledge that the .45 in his hand that night in >Des Moines wasn't loaded. But Reagan understood the deterrent value of >firearms in the hands of common citizens, and obviously so did the robber. >And so do millions of legally-armed Americans today who live rather >peaceful lives due in no small part to the fear criminals have that their >next intended victim might just terminate their career. > >President Reagan was a man of common values with the uncommon good sense >not to compromise them. He learned from personal experience that good >people could, and should, be trusted with firearms, and that their civil >rights - including the right of self-defense - are not negotiable. That's >as true today as it was that night in 1933. > >Alan Gottlieb is founder of the Second Amendment Foundation: >
Joe Waldron is executive director of the >Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms: >

"A vote for Kerry is a de facto vote for bin Laden." Strider

Reply to
Gunner

Sigh. We need leaders like that up here in Kanada... Kalifornia could use some, too...

Intrepid

Reply to
Intrepid

I have a question. Was this editorial meant to convince non-believers or just to pat like-minded individuals on the back?

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

How about it was simply to inform? Sometimes son, ..a cigar is simply a cigar.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Not to the mentally unstable, the deranged, the paranoid, or the vast left wing liberal conspiracy ...... or Clinton.. or Kerry... or Hillary.. or Snibbles..

Reply to
Santa Cruz Shop Dog

LOL. Why restrict your appropriate comment to only

*this* editorial?

:^)

Ko,

jim rozen

Unless it happens to be an ax-to-grind from Gunner.

Jim

jim rozen

That's an interesting answer. Do you perceive this place to be an appropriate avenue to "inform" people of anything not to do with CNC?

I have interests besides machining and metalworking. I can only assume others here do as well. Fortunately for those who enjoy discussing CNC topics, the rest of us seem able to exercise a fair amount of self control and not post information regarding topics that have nothing to do with this group.

Tell us why you cannot restrain yourself to the degree that virtually everybody else does. You're more than happy to clutter this place with your own interests (and are apparently completely def to those who don't appreciate your persistent pollution of this group) so why not explain why you feel your OT posts are valid here.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

At this point, since he posed the question..I think we can safely place Robin in one of those catagories. After all, he IS Canadian.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Jeeze Louise....

Why cant we all just stay on the topic of CNC ???

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Why don't you take all this up with Santa Cruz Shop Dog? He's not showing any degree of restraint tonight. Sue - now expecting to hear from Cliff.

Reply to
Sue

Well, hell, I don't know a damned thing about CNC. If ya did that you'd take all the fun out of it for me and I just *know* ya wouldn't want to do that. Sue

Reply to
Sue

.... or Jim

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

So the rule is, if somebody advances a political argument you disagree with, you call them crazy..... and if somebody says they disagree with *your* political position, you call them a paranoid nutter.

That doesn't sound like your typical pickel barrel discussion. More like the recipe for a fistfight. Is that really what you like??

Jim

jim rozen

Bjórrúnar skaltu jim rozen rista --

It is what Mark likes, until he gets beat up...

Reply to
Carl Nisarel
[ ... ]

Perhaps because we are not *all* reading this in alt.machines.cnc? In case you haven't noticed, this is cross posted to rec.crafts.metalworking, so we are seeing it as well. And while CNC may be discussed in rec.crafts.metalworking, it is far from the only on-topic thing.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

"Have you noticed? Anyone driving faster than you is an idiot, and anyone driving slower than you is a moron."

-- George Carlin

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Who can we thank for this cross posting? Let's see.... Why it's Gunner!! Who woulda thunk....

Reply to
Jim

Shit, *I* just cross posted. Guess I'll blame that on Gunner also. (Big Grin)

Reply to
Jim

RFC 666

A foundational rule of Usenet shall be: Within five seconds of removing the cursor from the "Send" button, any complainant shall realize he has just committed the very offense for which he `has just chastised another.

Reply to
John Husvar