OT: Printing Using Dashed Lettering

Sorry for the off topic subject. I'm just glad to say that THIS OT post is NOT political!

I want to print up my young son's name using dashed lettering so he can practice writing it. I've tried Word, Page Maker, and AutoCAD with no luck. Can anyone recommend a way to generate a document that would have the lettering come out as dased rather than solid lines??

Thanks.

Reply to
Rileyesi

Maybe one of these will work?

RellikJM

Don't know about AutoCAD but in Generic CAD text is drawn in the currently selected line type. Try selecting dashed line in AC and then generate some text to see if it works for you.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

You can easily do this in Adobe Illustrator. Just take the text in the desired font, select it to be stroked (not filled) and, from the Stroke palette, select dashed line and enter in the desired dash pattern in points, mm, inches or whatever. You can get slightly different effects by altering the line cap style. You can also select the dash to be in, say, 30% black, so it comes out lighter.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Word has something called WordArt, in which you can set a dashed style for the outline of the font. I just tried it out in Word 2003 and it was pretty straightforward. Unfortunately this usually gives you a pair of dashed lines for the strokes, but it might do for your application, since it would actually give your boy a narrow lane in which to draw the strokes of the letters, rather than just a single line that he would need to trace out.

Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

Use any search engine to find a sourse for dotted or dashed fonts.

Reply to
Peter Merriam

I think you could use page maker. Then copy it as a .jpeg, then use photowhatever to erase bits of the lines and print it. Easier to print it, use some typeout and use a copy machine or scan it and print it.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

There are lots of dashed letter true type fonts out there in TTFs. I've got a cheapie 2000+ font CD that has some (don't ask me where the CD is, though :- ). Just install the font and pick your point size.

Mac

Reply to
Jim McGill

What software do you have?

In MS Word, you can choose to outline any font, if that would work for you instead of dashed. (In version 6.0, Menu: Format/Font, Font tab, Outline checkbox)

Reply to
Bruce Freeman