OT: Still trying to remove a Dewalt mud mixer (DCD130B) chuck

Used my little metal cutting bandsaw to chop off the chuck end (worked marvelously, so much easier than expected). Didn't want to destroy the chuck, but I have zero use for a mud mixer with a proper chuck. I want the rest of it!

Notice you can see at least four threads of the chuck going down into the spindle area. What is that? Is the spindle and/or the chuck threading tapered? Even if it is, why waste so many threads. I'll probably find out after removing it.

Squirted some WD-40 into the spindle area several times, and on the other side.

Secured a large vice grip to the chuck. Put the drill in reverse, laid it on the ground, and stood on it (160 pounds). Pressed the trigger and the thing jumped up a bit before the electric torque limiter apparently kicked in. Repeated that about 10 times. Damn chuck won't come off. So now I will open it up, clean all the grease off of it, and remove the spindle part. See how it's put together. At that point, maybe I'll have a better access to the spindle so that the chuck can be wrenched off.

You think maybe they use some kind of cotter key/pin to prevent the chuck from unscrewing? Seems weird. But maybe there is another press fit at the base of the chuck. I thought the press fit was just on the end. Suppose I could use something better than WD-40 for unfreezing the chuck. Or maybe a torch will work. Will see. It will come off without damaging the rest. Yes it will.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Now I'm stuck on the inside.

Nothing to grab onto. I guess that gear can be pulled off, but then what.

So, I'll see about cutting some more off of the chuck with as little damage to the threads as possible.

Reply to
John Doe

Have yet to find a chuck on a small drill that you couldn't remove the lock screw from inside and unscrew the chuck. One of your pictures shows the lock screw still in place on the end of the shaft.

Steve W.

Got it off. Used metal cutting bandsaw and spun the chuck slowly to slice off about half of the chuck threading. That end spun off easily. Then preparing for war, once again used the large vice grip to take off the rest of it (that came off without a fight).

It's off!

Reply to
John Doe

Thanks for looking.

DeWalt stopped using a screw. Apparently that is a press-fitting.

It's not the DeWalt standard 1/2 inch 20 TPI threaded chuck. It's bigger.

Reply to
John Doe

Oh well. The damn chuck spindle appears to be unique, at 5/8 inches 16 TPI. That makes it difficult to use for my electric bike. IT'S A MONSTER, WOULD HAVE BEEN COOL TO SPIN THE TIRES WITH IT. But practically speaking... It would add 50% more weight to my aluminum BMX bike.

DeWalt has a new "Power Detect" cordless drill that is more than powerful enough for ordinary zipping around. Maybe use a lighter weight lubricant as suggested to reduce gearcase heat.

I can use the monster drill for my modified cheapo drill press. The chuck spindle will stick right in there (using a crosswise key).

It looks very well-made. Nothing cheap looking about it.

Reply to
John Doe

By all means, go for it and let us know how it turns out...

Reply to
John Doe