OT: Suddenly no sounds at all in WMP 10

Sorry folks, it's me again with some Windows XP problems. And I am almost certain that this is a WMP specific problem.

I can suddenly hear no sound any more in Windows Media Player version

  1. Any sound! Either just audio from music CD's, or mp3's. Or audio in MPEG, WMV, or AVI files. I get no sound at all.

All my other audio and/or video applications produce sound. I have no trouble with iTunes, Quicktime, RealPlayer, DivX Player, PowerDVD, Nero ShowtTime (which I never use, but just tested for this problem), and whatever else I may have on my system. They all produce sound just fine. So it's not my drivers, codecs and/or sound card.

The same is true for audio/video files on my system as well as streaming audio/video.

The Windows troubleshooter as well as Microsoft's support site have proved to be useless, and produced no answers, other than Microsoft telling me that I need to connect my speakers or uncheck the mute check box. Online queries have also not produced any positive results.

Does anybody here have any ideas?

Abrasha

Abrasha

Did you try doing a system rollback?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I did some googling and found a few links with people having the same problem. One included the following message which may help:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Answer solved. F8 mute toggles Media Player sound on and off.

Is there an emoticon for embarassed? Despite having "unmuted" Volume Control and my PC itself and everything else I cound find, I discovered Windows Media Player option takes F8 as mute and I didn't see it. The mute on Media Player does not communicate with the Mute on Volume Control, although Volume Control does synchornize with the volume and mute buttons on my laptop PC. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a link to my search if the above doesn't help:

Most are not XP related but a few are and they all still may be helpful.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

The last time I had this happen, the "mute" button in WMP10 was on.

Reply to
reply

Yeah....Get a Mac. Far less drama.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

No, but I tried practically everything else. XP would not restore to a previous point, even when I tried.

I downloaded new codecs, reinstalled WMP 10, reinstalled my sound card drivers. And a bunch of things I can't even remember.

Nothing worked!

Abrasha

Abrasha

My father has a computer running Windows XP which has exactly the same problem. I have never been able to find the solution. Sometimes you reboot and the sound is there, other times it isn't.

I got tired of crap like this a couple of years ago and now run Solaris. For what I do I find it much better, but some people find they need to stick with Windows.

And don't forget the Golden Rule of Computing: Whatever kind of computer you have, it will find a way to screw you over sometimes.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

The man's got a point. Their motto should be "It just works".

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That's not always true. I once spent more than an hour trying to upload (via dialup) a file from a Mac to my PC. The system kept responding with a busy signal "after" the line connected. Finally solved the problem by turning on the Mac's printer.

Reply to
reply

Man, I'd have loved to dig into that one. What generation Mac?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Dave, You're hopeless man :>) LOL Somebody is going to fix your wagon one of these days and send you an ancient piece of hardware and we won't hear from you for a decade while you play with the thing.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Hey, I acknowledge that, no problem. Give me an interesting problem anyday.

You say that like you think I don't have a basement full of that sort of thing... and if you did want to send me something interesting, I wouldn't turn it down...

Dave "but, you knew I'd say that..." Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

LOL Good for you :>) and I sort of figured that might be the case.

I just got a fresh copy of Visual Studio 2005 Dave. I won't be installing it for a bit but I think I'll have a new Linux toy for you to fart around with in the near future. I thought long and hard about the little project we started discussing here a while back and that thinking lead me down an interesting path or two. I've come to the conclusion that the next "leap" won't be in the underlying algorithms.

My C language skills are going to come up to speed, rapidly I hope.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Mac Classic.

Reply to
reply

Ah, I didn't get into them until _this_ century.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I remember trying one of the first ones to show up in store near me, wasn't impressed after it crashed during the first 5 minutes. Combine that with lack of expandabiity explains why I chose a PC.

Reply to
reply

(shrug) whatever. I ignored them completely until they switched to a Unix operating system.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

My good friend Tom from New Orleans was totally depressed yesterday. Why? Mac problems, major Mac problems.

He has been a Mac user from day one.

He just bought a new Powermac G4, and started to transfer data from his old Titanium Powerbook G4 to the new one via Firewire.

He doesn't know how it happened, but the end of the story is that the hard drive of his old Powerbook got fried, and is now at a data recovery business. And a bunch of I/O ports on the new Powerbook got fried also. I think he said the USB ports got fried. So he can't hook up a printer.

He is bummed big time.

Macs are easier, yeah right.

Computing, by and large, is still a rather new frontier. On any platform.

Abrasha

Abrasha

Many years ago, I used to have a Mac SE. I had inherited it. I hated the damn thing.

The built in monitor of that thing was so tiny, you had to scroll sideways constantly in word processing and other programs to see what you were working on. Not my idea of a good time.

And the only printer that worked with it was proprietary Apple serial printer.

I sold it as soon as I could.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a new iMac G5 or a new Powerbook. Unfortunately I am married to my Windows data, if not my Windows hardware. This keeps me stuck in Windoze.

Anything multimedia works better on the Mac. Anything!

Abrasha

Abrasha

Correction: He just bought a new PowerBOOK G4! Big difference.

And, on top of all the weirdness that has been going on in New Orleans, the last thing he needed was this kind of shit happening with his computer he depends on so much.

How are things with him in NOLA? In his words, "These are very challenging and interesting times"

Abrasha

Abrasha