OT - technically inept commercials

I don't know much about guns, but it seems to me common that they'll picture someone shooting a shotgun, but the sound is from a rifle.

Peter

I don't know much about guns, but it seems to me common that they'll picture someone shooting a shotgun, but the sound is from a rifle.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Lew, I have a GT-850, and the ebrakes are on the back. Which year did you have, '63 or '64? Does it still exist?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

And how about one of the "spaghetti" Westerns where the scene was Am. Civil War; they were using primacord to blow trees as best as I can remember. The book "The Big Bang" sez primacord came along about 1930. That was news to me. I always thought primacord was a WW2 innovation.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Jim sez:"> History Channel is notorious for using clips

Second that, Jim! Don't you get tired of seeing the same old WW1 "geyser of dirt" used over and over again?

The best misuse of a locomotive I ever saw was one of the "return to the future" movies. In it, MJ Fox was standing on the footboard of an 1880's locomotive reputed to be grossly overpressured in some attempt to attain warp speed. The steam pressure was causing the smoke-box nuts to unscrew.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Yeah, and look closely in the background sky to see if you can find contrials.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Yeah.. especially the long, singing ricochets inside buildings and caves..... Bill

Reply to
BillP

I've always wanted to know if in the days before the car, the dirt roads were "worn in" as they are now - with two separate tracks and no wear in the center of the road. I would expect that the roads would be more universally worn what with horses walking in the middle of the road in between the wheel tracks. Watching some cowboy riding down a road worn into two separate paths has always made me a little suspicious.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

wagons cut the tracks. lots of them left in what's left of the prairies.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I think the answer is yes. You can still see parts of the Oregon Trail:

Jim Stewart

Who runs selenium rectifiers anymore? I will tell you that they have a distinct odor all their own upon blowing, but TV's were one of the first to switch over to diodes. I don't think you'll find a nerd that's old enough to know what a blown selenium rectifier smells like, which is actually the part I find amusing.

Reply to
carl mciver

(me: sheepishly raises hand...) - but, I've always been a scrounger/surplus seeking kind of guy.

Worse, though, are tantalum capacitors. That taste stays with you for _days_.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Along with the holes in your acoustic ceiling tiles, if you happen to hook one up in reverse!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I actually had one fail and it was brand new, and _apparently_ installed with the proper polarity. I suspect it was mis-marked. Exciting, _and_ foul. Something about a timing circuit, probably back in the days when

555s and 74LS something were new and exciting.
Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yup... the thin steel wheels compacted the ruts MUCH more than the feet of horses and oxen.

Bill

Reply to
BillP

You reliaze that was over 40 years ago. I've been through quite a few cars since that. I do remember it was red, had a wood and metal steering wheel and the oil system was an injector system into the individual cylinders so it didn't have to mix with the gas. Oh and the freewheeling (overunning clutch) transmission. This was in central PA so seriously doubt it still exists except as a pile of rust somewhere. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Every time I need a part not on the parts cars, yes. Lots of good lathe and mill time lately, though.

Aren't those a blast? _nothing_ better in the winter. My current model Saab (a 9-5) can't hold a candle to it in terms of winter handling.

Ah well. I need, well, who knows. If you had any parts or odds and ends, I'd buy 'em.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:05:48 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, BillP quickly quoth:

Or those outside, after you see them hit DIRT banks and stop behind the near recipient.

---- A mostly meat-powered woodworker, and proud of it.

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Selenium gas is poisonous. Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

carl mciver wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Likely reverse voltage spikes from the supply. They can't take reverse voltage at all.

The design is full of faults - the glow plug problem and the firebomb issue. Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Dave H> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I had a Type 3 VW once, just got done reheading the motor and got it all hooked up, had to take the wife to the hospital and didn't have anything else to drive. I'd been pretty liberal with the oil while assembling the thing and had only run it enough to confirm it sounded good.. went down the road with it, had a remarkable trail of smoke behind, on one curve where I could see back a ways the smoke trailed for a good half-mile before dissipating to where there was cars to be seen. It cleared up just as I got to the hospital, drove past about three CHP cars in the hospital parking lot, thought sure I'd get arrested for being such an asshole but they didn't even notice.

John

Reply to
JohnM