OT - technically inept commercials

Hi all,

This isn't on topic, but I felt the need to vent and I figured this NG might understand.

Last night I saw a commercial for a tire store or manufacturer that featured a woman parking a Jeep on a steep hill, pulling the parking brake and getting out. The Jeep then slid down the hill with the front wheels locked supposedly illustrating the point that the woman's car needed tires. This bugged me because the parking brake doesn't work on the front wheels...

Recently there was commercial that had a guy on a chopper sitting at a light revving his engine. The sound of a largely unmuffled Harley motor permeates the air. The chopper however, has an old Honda SOHC

750 motor.

My favorite was a guy in a fragrance commercial standing at the back of a bathtub Porsche with the rear cowl up and... wait for it... steam coming out. I suppose I shoould be impressed that he had the cowl on the right end of the car open.

There are many more I've noticed over the years. One would think that ad agencies would employ technically aware to prevent stupid stuff like this. I guess the reality is that most folks don't notice.

Rant off,

Peter

Reply to
pgrey

Didja ever think that maybe they do that deliberately just to catch your attention, Peter?

Naw, they couldn't be that smart....Or could they?

Your post is very reminicent of my going to the movies with a bunch of my MIT classmates back in the 50s and hearing loud guffaws and derisive comments every time there was a techno impossibility on screen, particularly if it was a sci-fi movie.

The years take their toll on my memory, and the only one I can recall laughing at now was a scene from a horror movie, inside some ancient castle with the wall torches casting shadows of their own flames on the walls behind them because of the Kleig lights used to illuminate the scene.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Dunno about Jeep, but some cars _do_ have the e-brakes on the front wheels.

Marketing people don't talk to techie people, almost always. Nothing new here. Be assured that not just you, but their own techies, are shaking their heads.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well, here is a technically inept one, that you might actually enjoy.

Abrasha

Could have been oil smoke from that seeping valve cover.

Reply to
Rex B

Of course the valve cover gaskets leak - how else are you supposed to know it's getting enough oil?!??!!?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

CSI, with all of their technostuff, has also made some goofs. I recall Grissom attracting dust, from a footprint I think, to a sheet of plastic film -- using a car battery as a source of electrostatic potential. When he connected an alligator clip the dust jumped to the film. Musta been one seriously overcharged battery!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Have you seen commercials for pickup trucks lately? They'd have you believe the vehicles only run through deep mud and water, and operate in skid. There's almost never a shot of a clean one going straight.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

That's because a clean pickup, going straight on a dry day on the freeway with one passenger is just a gas guzzler. A pickup sliding sideways in the dust is an Expression of Manliness. This is why ads for pickups and SUV's feature the mud and rocks instead of clips of gas tanks with whirlpools or the underside of the upside-down vehicle with the wheels still spinning and sirens in the distance.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Probably not on that model but I had a Subaru on which the parking brake operated on the front disc brakes.

Did she also leave it in gear and in 4WD? Wouldn't that lock the front wheels too?

Reply to
fredfighter

Some? A typical episode is chock full of rediculous stuff.

In the first episode I watched a construction worker fell "with a terminal velocity of 32 feet per second squared" and it turned out he had been electrocuted but there were no burns on his body because he had been taking iron suppliments.

Reply to
fredfighter

====================== So did the SAAB 99 and most of the earlier SAAB cars.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

For values of "earlier" which include only "later", yes. the

92/93/95/96/97 all have the handbrake actuate on the rear wheels. The 99s and 900s are on the front, not sure about the 9-3 and 9-5.
Reply to
Dave Hinz

LOL! On the other hand, I've never seen a Miata with a class III hitch....

Reply to
Don Foreman

Reply to
Robert Swinney

She probably didn't know it had 4WD :-).

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Well, if she's stick welding, any acetylene would be "too much", wouldn't it now.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Nope. It was steam. I've owned lots of British cars. I'm familiar with both.

Peter

Reply to
pgrey

I know that some cars had parking brakes that worked on the rear wheels. They are uncommon and the Jeep isn't one of them. I thought about the 4WD thing, but the car was on pavement and even if it were in

4WD, the wheels wouldn't not roll.

Obviously, the commercial wasn't meant to be taken literally - it just got me thinking.

Peter

Reply to
pgrey

A better description might have been to say she was making a load of sparks with a stick welding set :-).

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy