OT: the nice lady at Lowe's

Went to Lowe's today to get Mary some knee pads and a garden bench. The sales associate that was helping us was a short, grandmotherly-looking woman, sparse and very fine strawberry blond hair, had to be most of 65 and possibly more. Mary was trying them out, mentioned arthritis. MaryAnn (the sales associate) mentioned that one of the other sales associates had some sort of eye problem that they thought might be glaucoma until her doc asked her if she'd ever had a sharp blow near that eye. Well yeah, she'd stopped a kick during karate practice. Turns out this gal is a 3d degree black belt, a few years younger than MaryAnn. 3d degree requires sparring where contact hits are allowed. Mary said, "ungh, I don't think I'll be doing much karate today!" I sorta conspiratorily muttered to MaryAnn, "but she's quite a good shot!"

MaryAnn grinned. "I don't mind when people talk about guns. I have a concealed carry permit myself!"

Reply to
Don Foreman

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 01:04:03 -0500, Don Foreman wrote the following:

Be sure that you pick up the kind which are open so you can add extra padding to them. I added an extra half inch of thickness to my HF pads, and everyone who has felt (or worn) them loves the difference.

Cool! Let me guess: .357 magnum in nickel? ;)

-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Beretta 92.

Reply to
Don Foreman

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:14:19 -0500, Don Foreman wrote the following:

Good. At least she'll make a 9mm or better hole.

-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I love it when you one or two decades or so older than me types refuse to start laying down and dying while still alive. Old Dead. ( Can't do the not equals sign on this system )

Wes

Wes

Purse?

Reply to
Wes

And deep too!

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Vehicle, at hand next to the bag of cash. She and her hub owned a hardware store where most sales were cash rather than plastic. It was her job to take the cash to the bank.

Reply to
Don Foreman

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:04:01 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote the following:

One helluva lot deeper than a .380. I saw that it also came in 9x21mm format. WTF? Luger/Parabellum is 9x19.

-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Its the Isrealie version of the 38 Super.

Not a bad cartridge either.

It used to be shot a lot in ISP competition but has declined in the US. Its still shot outside the US a lot.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

In some countries, like Italy, for instance, you can't own modern arms that shoot military rounds. So 9x19 becomes 9x21 and 7.62NATO becomes .243 or 7x51.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

I blew that one. I saw Mary, missed the Anne and thought of your Mary.

I like practical people.

Wes

Wes

Here is one for all -

My wife was using a double sided padded garden (green color) kneeling thing - the metal 'legs' go up and are handy to lift ones body...

We added a cement/etc worker - they have a pad with local handles. It is like the big green ones - it is blue and white and handles 4-5" off the base. It fits within the other and extends the life and seems to be higher quality.

Mart> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 01:04:03 -0500, Don Foreman

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

What's your every day carry, Larry?

Reply to
Don Foreman

This woman was the personification of "Minnesota Nice".

Purse carry is not a good idea because a purse can be snatched.

There are viable alternatives for women who choose to be armed, including trim, chic, fashionably-dressed professionals.

A thief did attempt to snatch my Mary's purse once. He didn't succeed, not one of his better days. I was several thousand miles distant and she wasn't carrying a gun.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Great minds! So did we!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Gettin' old is not for sissies. While on my walk today I stopped to visit with Ted 'n Nancy down the road a ways. Daughter Rachel was there too. Rachel is a sandbox vet (U.S. Army, enlisted soldier no velvet billet) and a screaming liberal so sparring with her is great fun. I like her and it seems clear that she likes me. So do her dogs, and they reportedly don't like anybody. Might this influence Rachel's opinion? Hmmm...dogs and small children do tend to have good instincts and don't fake their responses. Rachel is an intelligent young woman, doesn't miss much. Linguist and interrogator in the sandbox. Also fluent in Korean language and cuisine. Still a very much down home Minnesota young woman.

Nancy is Mary's best friend from way back when in the bad old days, Ted 'n I are the newguys.

Rachel and Ted did about 5 miles today. Ted's my age, no cardiac issues but we all have issues of one sort or another.

Ted sez fishin' on our lake has been terrible but goin' fishin' is never a bad time. Roger that! We just today returned to the lake so I did walk but didn't go fishin' today. I surely will tomorrow.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Don, I think I drove right past your place yesterday and didn't think of it till I seen the lake. Julie and I went to a field day at Morris. When we were done, she wanted to get something from the store. So, I looked at the map and seen MN28 goes right to St. Cloud. We stopped to eat at a supper club just west of Glenwood, on your lake, I think.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 23:10:36 -0500, Don Foreman wrote the following:

When I carry, it's a KelTec P11, a loud little 9mm beeyotch. If the slug doesn't stop 'em, the noise will. ;) I take it hiking, and on photographic & road trips, at night, etc.

At 9 mil, I don't meet Gunner's standards, either. :(

-- To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I hope she nailed his nuts to his stomach and broke a few fingers, at the very least. Got any photos of the guy on the ground?