OT: Then and Now (aviation related)

Two hours watching the show, only picture I took that I liked. Shot with a Sony V-3 compact camera.

Lots of metal in it.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

They should have done that with a P-47.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Nice shot!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

IIRC that is the Jug? Somewhere in my film archives I have a picture or two of that one. I remember an older guy, estatic to see a P-47 many years ago. 4 bladed prop?

That was at EAA Oskosh some time between 87 and 96.

Wes

Wes

wow, the mustang is in the *foreground*! (and i think a mitsubishi zero is even smaller than a mustang! wow.)

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

of that one.

I repaired radars on F4-J and S model Phantoms. That jet had a history of doing air to mud during it's years of service.

Wes

Wes

of that one.

Yep. I would love to have flown a P-47 in WWII, or an A10 in Iraq. Many fighter pilots even in combat never get a shot off, but there's always something on the ground that needs blowing up....

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Yep, officially the Thunderbolt. The A-10's official moniker is Thunderbolt II. Warthog is its nickname.

Dad flew P-39's, P-40's, P-47's, and P-51's in WWII, both theaters. He's got a bunch of photos from Duxford showing pilots acting out their displeasure at the switch to P-51's. P-47's had a rep for getting their pilots home, sometimes missing a jug or three off the P&W R-2800. P-51's were liquid cooled, so a hit in the cooling system meant you weren't flying home. They also had a wicked tendency to crow-hop on landing.

Of course, the 51 had the range, and other than landing were a great handling plane.

We had Dad at Columbus, Ohio for the last 78th Fighter Group reunion he attended. There were two 47's flying there, not to mention about

50 P-51's. He enjoyed it.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Always liked the Phantom, that's what the Blue Angels were flying first time I saw them at Moffett NAS. Crowd was on the east side of the big dirigible hanger. One came down the runway, turned east away from the hanger, and lit the afterburner. Man, the sound reverberated off the hanger and concrete apron, and did it ever shake the ground!

It's the low and slow aspect of air to ground that I like and come to think of it, the Skyraider would have been another that would have interested me. But, low and slow is not a place the Phantom wants to be....

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 18:06:48 -0400, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

Excellent. Two beauties!

I love that Warthog for its tankbusting capabilities. Here are a few pics of two mating. ;)

-- After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. -- Aldous Huxley

Reply to
Larry Jaques