OT: W7 security warning

ARGH!

Windows is protecing me from myself. I'm trying to unzip a file and get the message "Windows security warning, this file is potentialy harmful. Windows has blocked access to this file"

I disabled my AVG, no help. Ideas?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Try going to the property options of the file (right click, properties, etc) and look for an 'unblock' or something along those lines..

Reply to
tnik

If the zip file has an absolute path in it ( c:\whateever or \whatever) Windows will refuse to open it. Best use on of the free tools like 7zip or whatever to open it instead.

---john.

Reply to
John Haskey

BINGO!

Thanks Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Are you using MS Security Essentials? If so, there may be a virus inside the zipfile. It looks as if there is a Windows Defender in the Win7 defaults, but I have that turned off. It's something for you to look into, though.

What filename?

Check your settings and make sure you can open other, known friendly zips. If not, check Start/Control Panel/Action Center for switches. Some people set their security extremely high--too high for normal use. How long have you had the computer/OS? Win7 takes some getting used to.

-- Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Reply to
Larry Jaques