paint car hood

The money spent painting the hood might be more wisely used to do a search of salvage yards that have the correct color of hood in stock.

Dennis

Reply to
TwoGuns

Sounds like an exceptional run of bad luck. Hope you get a break soon!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Sounds like that old hillbilly song: "If it wasn't for the bad luck, I'd have no luck at all"

I think it originally came from an old Irish or Gaelic saying.

Reply to
clare

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 21:14:14 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca scrawled the following:

--snippage of the houndawg blues--

Nah, it was an excellent song from the blues/rock band Cream.

By booker t. jones and william bell Lyrics:

Born under a bad sign. I've been down since I began to crawl. If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all.

Bad luck and troubles my only friend. I've been down ever since I was ten.

Chorus

You know, wine and women is all I crave. A big bad woman's gonna carry me to my grave.

Chorus

First verse

Born under a bad sign. I've been down since I began to crawl. If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck. If it wasn't for real bad luck, I wouldnt have no luck at all.

Born under a bad sign. Born under a bad sign.

-- Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do. -- Confucius

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And best done by Pat Travers.

Ut ho, spoke against a god. Kinda like saying something critical about the Packers up here.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Hmmm, seen him 3 times in concert and never heard that version. I'm pretty sure what I'm talking about is on Crash n Burn 1980, studio version. My stuff is still packed, the 3'X4'X5' crate of LP's is right there and I have no room for a turn table even if I could find the box of electronics.

I wish I had just a hood to fix for the witch. You should see building a house, she can be down right unreasonable. Oh, and I hear about why is the shop bigger than the house every week. LOL

Reply to
Sunworshipper

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 08:53:43 -0600, the infamous Sunworshipper scrawled the following:

I brought 3 medium moving boxes of my LPs with me and have listened to only half a dozen of them in 6 years. It's time to part with them. Unfortunately, most of them were stolen by a friend's brother and half hit the mud when he took them out of his van that rainy day. I'll be lucky to get $20 out of them, even with the Hendrix album. My largest loss was the original Captain Beyond album with one of the very first laser-etched overlays on the front cover. Cha Ching!

'Cuz it'll be your doghouse, too? Awwwwwwwww, you'd hate that, wouldn't you?

I'm happy to have a shop with attached house, but I can hardly get into the shop any more. I need to build another outbuilding for all the non-shop "stuff" I have. Or maybe I should just build one as a metal shop so I can keep my woodshop closer and drier. I do more woodwork than metalwork.

The Siskiyou Woodworker's Guild has a show going on in Ashland this weekend and I just returned from it (via HFT.) Very nice stuff, indeed. One guy said he wished he'd had a dozen of the little intarsiaed chests he built. The only one he built sold at the asking price ($2,800) within the first 15 minutes of the show. Every surface was concave. Pics on request.

-- In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted. -- Bertrand Russell

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That sucks, but like I've said before, it is nice to collect metalworking machines cause no one can walk off with them. My Lp's aren't in good shape , but I have tons of stuff ya don't hear or find that often. I kind of like hearing scratches on usb flash drives.

That's right... Gonna cast me into the briar patch, eh? That is how I get into the most trouble, by spending too much time there.

Got to have a detached, too much noise and late at night. The uncle that is helping me do all this wants to bring all his wood working stuff over and still kinda apprehensive about that from what I've read here, but hell lots of space form the moment it is put up. At least they don't have sand storms up here, what's a little fine saw dust compared.

I plan on building cedar furniture. I know a guy with lots of huge trees. Mater of fact I'm running out of time to go visit again to see if we can cut some down, it's still fall isn't it? The ground is starting to freeze so it might be a great time now to get into a cedar swamp with a tractor. I've only built water beds out of 2- 3" X 7" per side, but I bet I could make some cool stuff if I put my mind to it.

I'd love to see pictures. sounds like something I wouldn't spend the time on, but hey, might give me some ideas.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:09:33 -0600, the infamous Sunworshipper scrawled the following:

You're one sick puppy. ;)

I'm single, so I could possibly work whenever, but I don't want to make too much noise and upset the non-dog owner neighbors.

I can carve, plane, or mortise wood at all hours, though, with quiet hand tools. The polyurethane mallet for carving is quiet and very nice to use. I guess that sharpening is quiet, too.

I have a cubic meter of Jarrah wood from Australia. the only things I've built with it so far are 1) a Weather Rock tripod stand for DOD and 2) a top for my carving bench.

Skillsets and patience (hard) can be learned, but finding the time to do it all is what nixes it for most people. I don't watch TV or have a family, so I have all the time in the world. What am I doing on this infernal box, then?

Get me a valid email address and I'll send some over. Fix my domain name above with a "v" and use the picture of the one you find online. I truly hate spam, and I've received 9 of the @#$%^ Pedi Paws spams today alone.

-- In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted. -- Bertrand Russell

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm fairly sure Albert King did "Born Under a Bad Sign" first.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

Many of the classic rock hits were created by some very poor musicians that were deceased before the rockers ever grew up.

One very interesting documentary that covered a lot of the old blues roots was aired on PBS a number of years ago (maybe 10 years ago), which was titled The History Of Rock And Roll, IIRC. The entire series was maybe 6 hours long, very detailed with some of the original recordings including Crossroads and quite a few more.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 08:53:30 -0500, the infamous "Wild_Bill" scrawled the following:

I saw that, way back when I had a TV feed. It was great. I also heard some of the originals play them on the Sirius Jazz station on the same satellite feed. I was amazed at the sheer number of them that I recognized.

Long Live the Blues!

-- In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted. -- Bertrand Russell

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was amazed that some of the original recordings survived long enough to be duplicated.

Someone needed to take the initiative to make the trips to some backwoods Mississippi Delta areas, with recording gear (and batteries, I suppose, or arrange a session at a location with "fire on a wire") to get those old musicians' works recorded on tape, to bring back to the "big city".. St Louis, Chicago, Memphis etc.

It seems that there may have been only a very limited amount of rock 'n roll without those early efforts. The direction and the music would've likely been very different.

If the true roots of rock 'n roll would have been Pat Boone or Rosemary Clooney, what a fuctup youth I woulda had, Oh wait, I did.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Direct to wax recordings were done without electricity for years - just like a gramophone .

Reply to
clare
ëx?eTaoÓ0ý?_qiÒÚeC?c¬£R7í#ríkrÌñÛI¿?s?²E­*ç??÷|®¶Êãûàz?~Ìn¬t?#N²3:ß+â)|w°hܼÎá?[8Î???M?ßÁ(?ÉóØûÕp
Reply to
axolotl

The wax recordings were the early Edison machines, a revolving tube coated with wax, maybe?

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Thanks, Kevin, now that you mentioned it, I seem to have a vague recollection of that type of music collecting program.

I think what I'm remembering was that it may have been mentioned in a PBS documentary about the large influx of Scotch-Irish immigrants into the remote areas of Applachia (Peter Coyote narrating, one of many documentary narrations), to collect the Celtic folk/folklore music they brought with them, that later sorta morphed into the early American bluegrass music that we recognize today.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

And there are still some folks doing field recordings.

Ned Simmons

servicemaximusATgmail.com

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Nope, flat disks - just like direct to vinyl (which before digital was considered the truest "master"

Reply to
clare