Identifying metalworking parts

Hello all,

I'm new to this newsgroup so please bear with me.

I have a collection of metalworking tools, cutting wheels, bits, etc. that I inherited from my wife's grandfather. I have no idea what most of this stuff is called. I would like to sell most of it as I have no use for any of it.

Can someone tell me where to go to have this stuff identified so I can put it up for sale? Also, what is the best way to sell this stuff? EBay? Local auction?

Any suggestions, help, thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

TF

Reply to
ThFerret

It might help if you give people some rough idea of what part of the country you are in. Local prices can vary widely based on supply and demand.

You might get a better answer if you go into slightly more detail on what you have: mostly just small stuff like drill bits and measuring tools, or are there large powered machines as well? Are you talking a small toolbox or two, or whole truckfuls? For a few small items, ebay might be the way to go--if you take the time to research what you have a little to get an accurate description, and take good photographs (better than a cell phone camera, not all fuzzy or washed out, clearly show markings, etc.). For lots of stuff or larger machines, a local auction house may be a better option. You could also try listing what you have on your local craigslist with a few clear photos... --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

Take pics, host them somewhere, post a link here. You'll get your answers.

None of it's worth anything at all. If you'll pay shipping, I'll take it off your hands. Trust me.

Reply to
_

I can tell you that identifying, photographing and ebaying small lots of machine tooling is is a lot of work for the gain you realize. I helped with an estate last summer. After about a dozen auctions finished, I offered the owner a flat price for the remainder so I wouldn't have to ebay anymore of it.

Reply to
RB

Since shipping to Australia is probably cheaper, send them to me instead.

Reply to
Grumpy

Thanks every1. I'm getting our WEB page going now so I can get those pics up shortly. I'll then post the link.

It's mostly small stuff...bits, wheels, handtools. Couple of toolboxes full.

Thx again,

TF

Reply to
ThFerret

Wheels, huh! I bought a box of "wheels" at an auction several years ago. I thought they were for grinding. Then when I got home I discovered they were hard rubber, but had abrasive in the rubber. I looked at them under a microscope and then discovered the abrasive was diamond. I gave a couple to my brother for sharpening his wood working tools, but I have never found a use for them. I have Goggled the manufacture name and part numbers with no success.

So look at wheels carefully, they may be more than "wheels".

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

Cratex-type rubber wheels are very good for shaping and sharpening curved-blade tools, like big gouges and some wood-turning tools.

But I'm jolted that they would contain diamond abrasive. That sounds like it would be a horrendously expensive wheel, because they wear pretty quickly.

Unless they were made for some obscure purpose. Are you sure they're diamond?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress