Pigeons on shop roof

Anyone have a proven method of encouraging pigeons to find a new home. Looks like the flying rats are trying to build a nest. Did a google search and only got useless results from people trying to sell stuff that does not work. If i put some aluminum swarf in thier nest will they move on?

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

A .22 rifle with a decent scope will end that problem permanently . And make a nice pot pie .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The spike strips are the only thing I've ever seen which work. Avoid the self-adhesive plastic types for obvious reasons. Also avoid those which look like branched twigs. Dropped straws build up on them and nests result.

Stick with the Bird-Be-Gone 5" plain spike style. Expensive, but proven. (Disclaimer: I've only seen these used/talked with many owners. I haven't bought and used them myself due to no need. The woodpecker wouldn't have been bothered by them anyway since he was sitting on top of the tin lids. Luckily, he finally found a mate and left my tin alone.)

No, they'll add to it and stay.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Remember the Dan Carlin skit? He said he'd fix two social problems in one brilliant stroke by giving the homeless people loaves of bread, sending them to the park, and letting them nab pigeons, pluck 'em, and toss 'em between two slices of bread. Problems solved!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

How about reverse lightning rods? Zap the nasty little suckers out of the sky. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Neighbors are to close for shooting.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

I do have a roll of chicken wire and a high frequency starter for my welder. Might do some experiments combining the two.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

Gonna check out the spikes on my next trip to lowes.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

Maybe try to find woodworking plans for a hawk-suitable birdhouse. Or encourage a neighbor to take up falconry.

Reply to
whit3rd

Fishing line a few inches above the ridge?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

That works really well. Totally stopped birds coming under my peaked patio.

Reply to
DTJ

This might cause you to rethink that.

And then there are these...

Larry Jaques

Two things that I know work.

Shoot the damn things. Or install some

Steve W.

The pigeons might sue?? Or the guy who climbs up on the roof to ... what?

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

============= high power air gun probably less hassle.

Given the current environment, probably best to give the local police a "heads up" if you decide to harvest a few with the air gun, to avoid the SWAT team and local tv responding to a terrorist on the roof with a gun.

These looks like a good buy. Never dealt with this company, but their catalog just hit my mail box.

Gunner and our other shooters -- any experience with either of these?

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I like the spikes, might be a diy project. I have some stainless mig wire that i could affix to pvc pipe and paint to match the roof tiles.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

Yep the 1-800 lawyers will give you greif. The problem is even if you prevail in a lawsuit the cost of winning is very high and you cannot recoup your costs.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

Checked with metro, open carry is legal in nevada. But this is a high density residential neighborhood, so metro mentioned that if someone calls in a report of a man with a rifle shooting from a roof will get me swated. Then there is the potential of a video of me shooting pigeons appearing on youtube and i get sued by PETA.

Reasearch indicates that the bird spikes are the best solution to the problem. Access denial to landing, perching and nesting is effective according to the reports i have read.

Best Regards Tom.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

Milwaukee established a population of peregrine falcons downtown, they roost on top of the buildings and feast on the pigeons. I don't think they go for the seagulls, though.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Yep don't want pigeon flambe landing in a neighbors palm tree or roof. Gonna test some diy bird spikes. If that fails gonna try baited rat traps, my neighbor told me thats what they use at the mini storage where he works. Just gotta get the realy biggins at the .99 store.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal