PING Gunner - 1911 sights

I hate the Novak low profile sights on my SA 1911! The front is serrated, the rear is non-adjustable and both are flat black. It's hard to see them unless the lighting is perfect. What's in the bottom of your drawer? Or, I'll mill a notch in the front and fill it with red plastic and paint a white frame on the rear. But, it shoots low and left. Good groups now with a Hogue grip.

Reply to
Buerste

Yep, that's the goo that a smith used on my S&W 19, I can thread a needle with it. At 25' I'm 3" low and 2" left. It will do a 2'5" group. The pistol will probably do a lot better, I suck...I need practice! I haven't shot it much because the stock grips hurt like hell on my tender, virgin flesh. The wrap-around Hogue feels GREAT, it's now a pleasure to shoot, but it's heavy and I tire quickly.

I could cut down the front sight a bit but how can I easily adjust the windage? The sights appear to be pinned, SA had some problems with loose sights so they Loctight and pin.

The Novaks are well made and could be good sights with some of the work you suggested. Although, an adjustable rear would be nice but I'm willing to try some mods first.

Reply to
Buerste

"Buerste" wrote in news:4CRom.200949$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.iad:

I don't know how experienced a shooter you are, but shots going low & left is a classic sign of jerking the trigger (for a right handed shooter). Get (or make) some dummy ammo, and mix them in randomly in the magazine (load with you eyes closed so you don't know which rounds are live, or get someone else to load for you). Watch your sights & see if they move when you "fire" a dummy round. If so, you need to work on your trigger squeeze. Lots of dry firing will help.

Doug White NRA Certified Pistol Coach

Reply to
Doug White

2'5" as in 31 inches? You must thread big honkin' needles!
Reply to
Don Foreman

This is a 1911, right? That rear sight can normally be drifted right and left with a hammer and a bit of brass rod. Drift it a smidge to the right and try it again. Lay the pistol on something heavy, put a couple rags under it and mark the sight position then tap it a couple thousands to the right., reshoot, and move as necessary.

Springfield Arms .45? I just checked their website and every model that has non adjustable rear sights, has rear sights that are mounted in dovetails You say yours was pinned? Vertcally? The hammer method should shear that pin (assuming it doesnt go all the way through the top of the slide and could be pushed out) Id be surprised if they used a hardened pin.

Is another option. The price is right. Might..might need a taller front sight. Or maybe not. Best to install and shoot a couple rounds

Now..the question is...does this pistol shoot out of alignment for everyone or just for you? Shoot it a few rounds off of sandbags. Arms fully extended across the table, with your wrists on a sandbag. Fill old jeans pants legs with silica sand and sew em up. Make up 3 as thats the normal number you need.

Make sure your trigger finger is at the first joint..not the tip. If you are right handed..using the tip will shoot to the left, too much finger will cause you to shoot to the right..

Ill also ask you have you tried various brands of ammo? A faster round will shoot lower, a slower round will shoot higher, due to the time the round spends in the barrel. Fact. Shrug.

Now the next question..are you using center hold, or 6 oclock hold? You may wish to change to center hold. if you are shooting low. Shrug.

If all else fails..mill off .005 from the top of your front sight and retry. You can also CAREFULY mill a bit off of one side of the front sight to bring the point of aim into line..but pushing the rear sight right and left is the proper way to do this

But seriously...sand bag the pistol, and try various brands/types of ammo . You may find one that shoots to point of aim. Then stick with it.

Or replace all the sights with Novaks...MMCs etc etc. You will need to buy or make a new tool to install the front sight however.

Call me if you have any questions.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Excellent point! One Id not considered, thinking he was a more experienced shooter. Good post!

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I'll try the sand bagging, have somebody else shoot it, and try different ammo. Here's a link to a picture of the pistol. It's a Springfield 1911 Stainless Steel Loaded. I bought it a few years ago from a guy outside a gun show. He said he ran one magazine through it and that was obviously true. You may remember when I was looking for a .45 and we wrote back and forth.

I don't think I'm flinching. I think the recoil is very mild. I've only run two boxes through it since I bought it. After the first box, I hated the grips, the checkering was too sharp and uncomfortable and I shot all over the target. I only recently bought a Hogue wrap-around grip, it's PERFECT! The second box, a couple of years later, tightened the group to

2.5" the was low and left, using center hold. I doubt it's me, I blame the sights.

I shoot my 19 for fun, I don't have to police brass and I look like an expert with it.

The Novak flat black Lo-Mount sights are factory. Springfield mills the slide. There are a number of Novak sights that use the same dovetail but they are expensive.

This one looks good too, I just resent another $60! WHEN DOES IT END??? (don't answer, I know)

Buerste

Don't get smart with me!

Reply to
Buerste

The trigger is like a thin glass rod breaking, I'm very happy with it, it's a surprise when it trips. The recoil is very mild and I don't even notice it, I doubt there is a subconscious anticipation. My trigger technique is OK, I've shot for 35+ years. But you're right about drills and practice.

Reply to
Buerste

Ok...then its time to try various loadings, or change the sights. Ive seen several Springfields that were "off". Ive got a P9C that I had to replace the rear sight with a higher one. Import version of the CZ75 Compact.

(Similar)

It shot about 6" low at 25 yrds, with just about any load I stuck in it.

Works a treat now.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Ooooh...very very nice!!! I vagely remember talking to you about it. That stroke wiped away a lot of stuff, thats slowly coming back. Shrug

Ok. Check a few difffernt types of ammo, from sand bags. If they all shoot low..mill off .005 from the top of the front sight, and then shoot from bags again. You might have to take off 10-15thousands. You never did mention if you are using a center hold, or a 6 o'clock hold. I tend to set my weapons up for Center hold..shrug...so if someone is firing at

6'oclock..they shoot low.

To my way of thinking..that front sight/rear sight sits on the spot the bullet goes..so I dont do a hell of a lot of 6 o'clock shooting

Since the front sight is dovetailed..you can move it to the Left to get your target centered.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I was looking at that for my SA GI. I'd like to see what it looks like mounted. Also wonder if it's the right height for the stock front sight.

Reply to
RBnDFW

This shows them on sale for $43