Please limit topics to metalworking

The same reason dogs do.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner

Well, then, that should put that issue to rest!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Exactly my bitch for a very long time. Paying to have the "privelage" to watch the spewing of commercials. After our exchange of political views the other night, this is getting scary, Harold.

mikey

Reply to
michael

Why do I get the feeling that this sounds like someone we're already familiar with, known as Cassegrain, or Cassopiea, maybe cassandra. At any rate, the subject of a shun. Right, cASS?

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

It's the beards, Mikey. When you wear a beard you start thinking goofy. Or maybe you just come down with mental health, hard to say!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

I had a modular home built after the flood, and as the drywall work was being done, I took the liberty of installing cable runs and boxes for whole-house telephone, networking, and satellite systems. There's a powered multiplexer under the house to provide as many as 8 satellite outlets throughout the house, using one dish. This allows any receivers attached to get all the channels seperately from each other. Just take a TV and receiver, walk into any room, and plug it in. Works very nicely.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

In this case I think you are honesly mistaken. That guy has used a number of aliases but IIRC Mr. Sherwood is not him.

Jim

jim rozen

I'll take that as an aggregate "don't know" from the entire group. Granted not metalworking but still, a question that has no answer....

Jim

jim rozen

But even then the fashion-weight leathers are better than nothing at all. Really hurts when you go down in shorts and sandals.... squidwise.

Jim (aerostich suit mostly)

jim rozen

Gotta find myself agreeing with Ole Nick here :o). I've asked and answered a lot of questions here; some of which were pretty.. well basic :o). (both directions). The OT stuff is usually labelled as such or evolves from something that started more or less related. Some of those discussions are interesting & some are garbage that is just ignored. This is a great NG, there is a lot of vast knowlege here along with much that is "half vast", but there is no censorship and that means a lot. If you don't like it here, it's a big internet & we'll miss ya. Greg Sefton

Reply to
Bray Haven

!! LOL. I like that.

Jim

jim rozen

Junkyard Wars is supposed to be both educational and entertaining. They want the two experts to propose different approaches to each challenge so they can highlight different methods of accomplishing the tasks in their chalkboard segments. As such, they often have to seed the junkyard set with the critical items needed for each approach.

Sometimes they hide the seeded parts too well, and the team doesn't find them, or the wrong team finds them. Sometimes a team doesn't agree with their expert's design and takes another approach. That adds a random and unexpected twist to some of the shows. But the teams usually do find some way to make their ideas work. It is often amazing how close the competitions at the end of the shows are.

The show is aimed toward civilians, particularly children. They attempt to teach some basic physics and mechanics in each episode. But the shows are fun to watch for those who just like to see the Rube Goldberg scavenged construction techniques too. The shows are also fun for experts to watch, because they get to backseat drive the builds, laughing at some of the poor techniques some of the teams use, and very ocasionally picking up a worthwhile tip.

Monster Garage also has its moments. Most of the builds are rather rude and crude, sometimes just stupid, but ocasionally they have some really expert designers and fabricators who make some amazing vehicles. And watching Pruitt paint is worth sitting through even the worst of their shows. One can learn a lot watching the better teams at work. They get to start with an intact vehicle, and have a cash budget (which they almost always exceed, just like a real life hotrod build) to buy parts. I could do without the smarmy announcers for that show, but otherwise I like it a lot.

OTOH, American Chopper is just a waste of time. That show is all about the father yelling and screaming at his sons, with very little of technical or mechanical interest being shown. They don't actually do much fabrication. It isn't even good family drama, since it is so predictable and one dimensional.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:30:51 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos" brought forth from the murky depths:

Wouldn't it coat their tongues and make it easier to clean certain other body parts without tasting 'em?

============================================================ Help Save the Endangered Plumb Bobs From Becoming Extinct!

Hilarious T-shirts online ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I wish they would turn AC around and make it into more of a technical and fabrication show. I wrote to the shows producers once via their web site and complained about all the yelling. Probably won't do any good, unless lots of people do the same.

Lane

Reply to
lane

there are damn few pay for channels w/o advertising now. that's not the worst of it, this past couple of years they have gotten almost completely in sync, timing the commercial breaks to coincide accross literally dozens of channels. evil.

now add in the on-going homogenization of many, many channels, nearly total lack of any real news during most of any 24hr period and finally the _drum_track_ that now accompanies nearly all programming (to add zest, life & excitement), you now start to get an idea of where the industry is going (nowhere). just my 2cents, --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

I seem to remember (correct me if I'm wrong) that when cable TV first started that they advertised it as without commercials? Or am I having a senior moment?

As far as the commercials being in sync, I agree, it's heinous.

Lane

Reply to
lane

I first got cable back in the late 70's. It has always had commercials.

Most of the channels were the local broadcast channels and commercials were unavoidable.

What didn't have commercials were the premium channels like HBO. You paid extra for those and they were funded, indirectly, by those payments.

Back then they didn't have a myriad of special interest channels like they do today. These all have commercials. But you generally don't pay extra for them.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Kudos to the OP. By bitching about off topic subjects he managed to generate a long, very interesting and entertaining 'OT' thread. Bet *his* shorts are in a real tight bunch by now (G). Regards. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

That's sort of what I had in mind, too. I've already installed boxes in the rooms for both TV and phone, a necessary evil because our exterior walls are grouted solid so it can't be added later. I will have the option to add anything desired on interior walls up until we install drywall. The way we're going right now, that's sometime in the next decade, it seems. Sigh!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:22:53 -0500, Brian Lawson vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

No no no! You have it wrong. You do not produce or predict style. You create something and then _make_ it style!

**************************************************** sorry remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick