Please limit topics to metalworking

Second worse I ever got hurt on a "bike" was on an old Indian minibike we stuck a McColluh 90 chain saw motor on. We figure I was doing about

75-80 on that gravel road when the front forks collapsed.

Michigan puts cloride and salt on their roads in the winter time, which tends to encapsulate the gravel in a nice layer of stuff that really really really really hurts when the gravel sands parts of your body away.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner

snip---------

Michigan? Since when? (For you, that is. You lived in Michigan?)

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Haydn, Vivaldi, Mozart, Handel,

Lets see if I have this right, Timmy. I mention jazz musicians, some of which are still alive and performing on a regular basis, and have done so for in some instances over 50 years, and I'm the one that needs to get with the times? Like you, in all your, what, 16 years? has lived a life so extensive that you are all knowing and I, in my 64 years, have lived in a cocoon? I need to get with the times because I've sampled Pablum (metal, punk and rap) and reject it as adult food, more fitting for growing children, and have progressed to solid food?

Here's something for you to ponder, grasshopper. I don't like mustard on my ice cream. Don't know why, but it doesn't taste right to me. That's what it's like listening to head banging hard rock and the idioms I've mentioned above.

Don't get off lecturing me about my narrow mind, either. I grew up with rock, pal. I was there to hear Elvis sing his first broadcast notes, I was there when Bill Hailey hit it big with his Rock Around the Clock when it was in the movie Blackboard Jungle. I was there to hear Fats Domino finally hit it big with white listeners in '55 with his Blueberry Hill, and I recall DJ's playing Bo Diddley on the air, right along listening to the Crows, The Four Aces, The Four Lads, The Freshmen, Clyde McPhatter, The Big Bopper, The Platters, Little Richard, The Penguins, The Chords (you can stop me, or I can go on). I count in my extensive collection of music a stack of LP's that's fully as tall as you are, in classical alone. My collection of jazz is nearly that tall, and my combined collection of other music forms, including ethnic, is likely larger than your collection of all kinds of music. I am not limited to LP's, we also have an extensive CD collection, but certainly not as large as our vinyls, which we've accumulated over a 45 year span.

It's not because I don't know about metal, punk and rap that I feel the way I do, it's because I do. It's like slamming your finger in a car door, and bores me to tears.

You, from your own admission, have no idea about the subject at hand. May I suggest to you that you "Get with the times. ;-)" and explore something more fitting of what appears to be a bright young man that has absolutely no clue about good music?

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Don't leave out Magic Carpet Ride, Richard! Talk about cool!! :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

"That's not music. That's just noise."

If find myself turning into my father on a regular basis.

We now return you from the nursing home brigade.

Jim

jim rozen

You were lucky, a local man was killed a few years ago when the welded up earl's forks collapsed on a sidecar rig. They had modified the front end by welding, and then ground most of the weld off to make it look nice. Not enough penetration it seems.

Jim

jim rozen

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 04:28:39 GMT, Gunner brought forth from the murky depths:

Hmmm, that explains _much_. ;) I know people with embedded grit the doctors never got out.

When I laid a Kaw 90 down in the street, I was very glad to have a heavy jacket on. It spun the sleeve off which polished about 5 layers of skin off my right forearm. The asphalt would have taken it to the bone. The lady in the Cadidliac who pulled out in front of me stopped, so I rode the bike into her rear tire with my rear tire. My helmet (thank Buddha I had one on) hit her door and bent it enough to break her window (which was up, it was raining), and I was only going 35mph when I dumped it.

I want another bike. That was the only bad thing that happened to me in 2 years of riding it. Perhaps something larger now...

------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------

Full-Service Web Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

He has had the benefit of being educated by watching the Simpsons. You (and I) have been deprived of that "pleasure".

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Bravo!!!!!!!!

Gunner (now listening to Grace Slick, with Darryl Whorley up next on WinAmp to be followed by Adigo then St. James Infirmary ) The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

Have you seen her lately? I wonder what she did to herself. It looks like her face is on inside-out.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Chuckle..didnt you know I was a Native Yooper? Left the state in 71, returned in 73 for a year or two, left again and never went back exept to visit a time or 4.

Raised in Hancock, Calumet, Copper Harbor. Dad was a road construction bum for a while (civil engineer) so we moved a lot south of the Bridge, then we settled down and I, graduated from highschool in Grayling. Dad owns a jewlry store there for 34 some odd years, Mom was the country Building Inspector (and o n the board of the state inspectors organization). Sis recently retired from Detroit Edison as some sort of hazardous materials department chief. She is 48.

Mom crossed over about 4 yrs ago, but Dad is still a snow bird with a big assed 5th wheel, a couple cats and a Freighttliner tractor to pull things around the US with. Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

Nope, I was just curious, I thought it was interesting. I'm sure I can find it if I look for it.

I put all my coax cabling in place as the house was built so I don't really need one. But if I ever wanted to add another outlet at one of the existing ones I might look into something like you used.

I'm not real crazy about the rats next of devices, AC adapters, and cords that might accumulate at the endpoints but it might be easier than pulling another piece of coax into place.

There is a corner in the basement where the breaker panel is, it also has a collection of cross connects, splitters, RF amplifiers, a 16 port hub, a DirecTV receiver, my DirecWay satellite modem/router, and some other odds and ends that entertain me. It is called "Dad's corner" but the wife never seems to understand how much she uses it too. She cannot even plug a phone into a wall outlet without help.

Thanks for the details.

Reply to
Jack Erbes

Yep! And to think of what we've missed! ;-)

I don't think there's anything like growing up to help you grow up. I still enjoy (in very small helpings) the music of my youth, but find I tire of it quickly. It's all a function of expanding one's horizons and discovering that what was amusing as a young person suddenly has very little appeal. Lobster, somehow, seems to taste better than a hot dog.

I can't tell you the degree of pleasure I have derived from listening to MJQ (The Modern Jazz Quartet) now that I've grown older. I used to be slightly put off by their cool, seemingly unemotional music when I was a kid, waiting for them to sound like a rock band. I now listen in total amazement as I hear the cool sound with hurricane force emotion in their subtle work. Sadly, only one of them remains. Three of the quartet members died in the past few years. A tragic loss to the original truly American music form.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

St. James Infirmary

Wow!!! Killer good! Have you heard Red Garland's rendition?

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

on the old "laugh-In" show. Lost my "cool >>>biker" >>>> image instantaneously.

....>>>

....> was only going 35mph when I dumped it.

every rider has stories of low-speed accidents/incidents, from funny to fatal. the most frequent ones i remember happen at shift change in or around large company parking/gate facilities. a friend had his ear torn off when forced over to the shoulder just before the start of a railing that took off his helmet and ear, he was very lucky.

another was more serious, similar situation at plant near Littleton Co. the guy on a cycle was waived thru just as the car on the inside lane turned to enter the visitor area. he compeletly shattered both bones in the lower leg (both protruding), and spent months in an orthopedic ward. which place, btw, will really clue you in on the dangers of motorcycles, a tour s/b a requirement for getting the mc indorsement.

Reply to
Loren Coe

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:09:29 GMT, Larry Jaques vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Ah! Leathers. Not my tale (I spent my days in an old army greatcoat), but my mate's uncle and father used to race bikes back when..Vincent HRD (?)...Indian etc. But They held the state bike speed record for something like 20-25 years, up until maybe 20 years ago. Something around 140mph.

...sorry. I knew them both well, and they were great blokes and a bit of a legend in my young two-wheel days. They rebuilt their own bikes and used to send argumentative letters to the Vincent factory about exhaust design etc.

Anyway, these guys would ride races with t-shirt and sandshoes. Then one day the uncle bought a full set of leathers. He fell off the _first time_ he wore them, at around 100mph. He lost some skin off his bum. He was really pissed off about the new leathers though!

**************************************************** sorry remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick

Bike crashes...memories...flashbacks...I got the right side of my chin ground to the bone in '75, and scraped the right side of my nose. It melted my face shield into a long stringy mess, hanging down to my chest. The doctor left a divot in my nose trying to get the asphalt stain out, but the chin grew back pretty well. Most people don't really notice it, or they are too polite to say.

RJ still riding

Reply to
Backlash

How do you like DirecWay? I hear it's expensive.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Lately? She is still firmly stuck in my mind as she looked when she was in her prime. And I hope I still look the same as I did then in her mind.

Now Michael Jackson. Grace Slick does not look like him, right? Don't tell me if she does. I could not handle it.

The best description I have heard for Michael Jackson is that he looks like the illegitimate love child resulting of Prince and Frankenstein.

Reply to
Jack Erbes