Please limit topics to metalworking

jim rozen

No. Just that as previously referenced, the ng can be though of as a family. If one is always confrontational, if one always has to win the argument rather than participate in the discussion, this means something's amiss.

Granted there are times when posters here are simply abusive and wrong. Ol' RSJ, altavox, that ryker-dude come to mind. Then everyone seems to know what's up and it becomes us or them.

Right or wrong? OK, I'll answer the question if you clarify. Usenet or real life?

Winners, losers? Tougher question. A person can do everything right and still get hit by the proverbial meteor. Looks like a winner, but really is a loser. Or are they still winners, because they behaved like winners as they got crushed? That part of your question is a lot more intricate than the first part.

Jim

jim rozen

I agree there is way to much OT BS in this group. We don't need discussions pertaining to WMD in Iraq. We don't need to know about politation John somebody or criminal so and so going to trial. We don't need people bashing Pete A any more than we need discussions about altrovoz.

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Then don't read them!

Reply to
lane

And don't post replies to of topic threads! (pot/kettle sort of thing?) Regards. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

So you guys are are saying that reguardless of what people want and what is right, you are going to continue doing what you want to do.

You see, this is exactly why some very good people stopped participating in this group. It is exactly why John Stevenson left a long time ago. It drives the good people away...

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen... ;)

OT, bitching, whining, flaming and of course interesting discussion are all part of a newsgroup. At any given point in time there will be threads about scraping the ways on your Monarch, cutting the longest SS chip, whining about the president, and appreciating/despising cats. I wonder if anyone has ever done a scientific study of newsgroup dynamics.....

Tim

-- "That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson Website @

Tim Williams

And you are telling everybody that disagrees with you to just go away. So its your way or the highway.

Like I said, It drives the good people away.

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Why study it, we are in the trenches and see what is going on? And I assure you, we are far from having anywhere near the "noise" level of other NG's. In fact of those I've looked at or read at one time or another, RCW is one of the tamest. Those that don't like it can either ignore it or leave. It certainly isn't going to change, no matter how loud anyone whines.

Lane

Reply to
lane

You don't get it do you. It is not "his" way, it is just the way it is. It won't change. What you are asking is like asking people not to eat meat. Sure there are those that can make a very good claim that it is bad for you etc etc etc. But do you really think you can change everyone. No way! So, the end result is. If you can't live with this NG the way it is, leave! It's like people who complain about TV programs, if you don't like it. Turn it off! Geeesh! Go start your own moderated NG and run it the way you want, with a heavy hand.

Lane

Reply to
lane

What people?

I think the consensus so far has been that some percentage of OT posts here is inevitable and not undesireable.

1) this ng has a very low percentage of OT stuff compared with usenet overall.

2) as a non-moderated group, it is not possible to enforce zero-OT requirements. Simply cannot be done.

There have been folks who left the ng, that's true. Some of them left for this reason, others for other reasons. Some folks just flat out died. I don't think the general population here could prevent any of those occurences.

Jim

jim rozen

I have to disagree with you there. Wolves are very couragous, loyal creatures who will defend their pack to the death. Have you ever met a politician to whom you could apply that statement? If so, you are more fortunate than I.

Well, I'll watch curling occasionally and isn't Junkyard Wars sort of close to a sport? :-)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Obviously I do not get it. I do not see why cars are not discussed in rec.auto and why workworking is not discussed in rec.woodworking and why politics is not discussed in rec.politics.

I have seen many questions answered by: try rec.autos.? so apparently the people that want to talk about cars discuss them in a car newsgroup.

I think ther is so much OT stuff in this group because some of you want it this way and insist on doing what you want to do. I also think there are a lot of people that would prefer it otherways; Some of those have choosen the alternative you give them and have left.

From your perspective, we should have only one newsgroup and discuss everything from autos to zoology.

I don't mind hearing about gunners cats or the possimum in the shop or even how to control humidity in the shop. But lets move some of the way off topic stuff out of here so we don't drive away the rest of the poeple that really want to discuss metalworking. chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Because these are non-moderated groups. If you have a pickle barrel in your general store, folks are going to sit around it yakking. Unless you throw them out of the store, that's what they're going to do.

There are other moderated pickle barrels out there where the S/N is indeed higher than what you find in the general ng population. If you want this, I suggest you seek out the mailing list or moderated group, and you will get what you desire.

Jim

jim rozen

I beg your pardon. Can't imagine what I was thinkging, slurring wolves the way I did!

I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage. Never watched Junkyard Wars, which I can only assume must be a TV program? It'd have to be damned good to rival curling, a most fascinating display of skill. :-)

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

The deaths could have been prevented if they didn't eat red meat, had cats and owned guns...while they were scraping their ways.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Ah but not indefinitely.

Jim

jim rozen

Harold, there's Junkyard Wars American Chopper American Hotrodder Monster Garage Southern Chopper All on TV, Discovery channel mostly, and a lot like this NG. Metalworking content, mixed with a lot of drama

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

I wish they would leave the drama out. American Chopper has had the channel changed more than once when the old man gets into a yelling fit. I refuse to listen/watch crap like that. I guess I have enough drama in my own life.

Lane

Reply to
lane

Absolutely. Consider, say you want to know how to pull a clutch. Besides RTFM or Google, you might just ask a place where you know there are a lot of people, with wide interests, centered around mechanical things. RCM just flows naturally in this hypothetical case. If nothing else, someone may post here out of laziness of downloading and watching another newsgroup.

OT as humor or politics is kind of a bonding issue I'd say...(but IANAPsyc.) I mean, at least in our American culture (and RCM is primarily American), most people don't pass these things around with strangers. These are things you discuss with friends.