Please limit topics to metalworking

Ah! Now it makes sense. Like this tight old bastard that lives on SS would spring for cable! :-) All we get is our snowy local (?) reception.

In truth, we're so far out in the sticks that there is no cable, nor is there likely to be, and I'm way too tight to pay for a dish. Thanks for the enlightening information, though, RJ.. Much appreciated! At least I now understand that which I am missing. :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Metalworking

To think I'm missing all that fun! :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

IMO, Junkyard Wars is in a completely different class from the others you list. I I think the ones produced by the BBC are especially good. The series was originally intended to present Physics, Mechanics and fabrication techniques to young people. Some of the designs are pretty ingeneous and the failure mechanisms informative.

Personally, I'm monumentally underwhelmned by the others. Why anyone would turn a perfectly serviceable motorcycle into something that has the handling characteristics of a chopper is beyond me. I suspect it's in the same catagory as using a micrometer for a C clamp. :-)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

On 30 Jan 2004 19:45:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@w-sherwood.ih.lucent.com (Charles A. Sherwood) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Because there are many people here who are far more willing to talk about this stuff, know what they are saying, and do not bag you simply for asking. I cannot remember having an unanswered question in this newsgroup. Many groups are so bloody serious about the subject that they ....well they could almost be termed _snobbish_! If you try to proscribe, where do you draw the line. If you do not proscribe, then you get OT stuff coming.

For myself, if I feel like a good stoush I pick on a political comment. If I have time to read this newsgroup, then I have to sort through the hash. If I have time to read this group, then my time is not so important that I either ignore somebody who is not _dead_ on target, or who posts OT.

Now my little arrow. I reckon my political/social opinions run against many of the more vocal on this and some other groups. I do get pissed off when I have been apparently kf'd by several people simply because of my political or social statements, and maybe even because of my rudeness in those contexts, to the point of ignoring even my ontopic stuff. I have left groups because of that, when they became useless to me.

But I have left a lot more because I was ignored from my first question, because it did not fit the mould, and nobody even _bothered_ to say "Try re.cxxx.yyy" cause they were too far up themselves.

**************************************************** sorry remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick

On 30 Jan 2004 17:31:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@w-sherwood.ih.lucent.com (Charles A. Sherwood) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Point of democracy.....

If enough people on this group are causing noise that it's a real problem worth griping about by a few people who do not like it, then maybe that's what people want!

Now what is _right_....well......hmmmm...

**************************************************** sorry remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick

snip-----

Good one, Ted! :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

On the other hand..you are telling everyone that disagrees with you to shut the f*ck up and do it your way.

Interesting.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner

Harold, Direct TV on a satellite dish will run about $33 a month or so for the basics, You can get a dish setup for free from the company and pay the monthly fee, or depending on your scruples, purchase your own dish and card from an individual, (undocumented). If you KNOW someone, there are Hmmm.. shall we say...Alternative ways to "test" the reception of programming....Not that I condone that, mind you...

Check out

for "educational information"

RJ

Metalworking

Reply to
Backlash

I've never used a mic for a c-clamp, but I have to plead guilty of having built a few of those evil choppers, custom bikes, and street rods. Just for info, Jesse James grosses over 6 million dollars a year in his custom bike shop alone, not even counting his Monster Garage intake. 60% of that is in clothing sales. He just bought a 50,000 ft warehouse to expand into. People are willingly paying a lot for that lack of serviceability. I've found that the average buyer just wants to look Cool, anyway. (In their own eyes)

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:31:28 -0500, "Backlash" wrote: SNIP

Hey RJ,

I've had a belief for many years that anyone can become a millionaire by understanding one thing.

"STYLE IS EVERYTHING"

Anybody that can produce, or better yet predict style, will be a winner. Of course I'm broke, all the time, because I can do neither. I don't even know what is IN style, with very few exceptions. And there IS style in everthing we do or think or buy.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Why do cats like earwax?

Jim

jim rozen

The topic hierarchy in Usenet is an honor system. Some people have the self control to operate in an honor system and some do not. This is the crux of the problem.

I feel sorry for those who think this is a high SNR group. It is not, although it was once, many years ago.

Cheers,

Kelley

ps I th>>You don't get it do you. It is not "his" way, it is just the way it is. It >

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

Not surprising. There's an old saying that goes, "Nobody ever went broke by under estimating the taste of the American public." Don't recall who said it. Perhaps Mark Twain?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Thanks, RJ. Went to the site and all it did is convince me all the more that I'm illiterate where computers are concerned. I'll have to go back a few times and try to figure out what I'm seeing and how to use it. The important thing for me to consider is if I may wish to get hooked up in the future. If so, now's the time, because we're building a house and should make provisions for the dish and feed, assuming we end up with one. By doing so now, we can build everything in without having it run on the surface, perhaps in conduit so it can be maintained. I'm not keen on having wires run on the surface.

Years ago, long before most satellite feeds were scrambled (early 80's), we had an 11' (yeah, it really was 11')dish and enjoyed receiving a broad array of programming. We watched with disbelief as they slowly all scrambled their signals. We abandoned satellite reception when we sold the house and have had nothing since. By that time, though, there was precious little that you could get without paying monthly. I've always had a bit of a problem paying for a station that advertises, which seems to be the norm on many of them. Imagine, paying to watch something that you'd gladly avoid for free!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

no, probably you don't. _most_ of the genre is totally contrived, ie, most of the "junk" is part of an inventory set up for that show...

there was a thread here about this a year or two back where someone that posted was asked to supply some oddball piece for an upcoming episode. imho, the shows i have seen are strickly for, "civilians". ymmv, --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

Metalworking

Ha! Shades of the Red Green show? That makes even more sense. Thanks, Loren.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Ted Edwards wrote: There's an old saying that goes, "Nobody ever went

I think you are paraphrasing H. L. Mencken.

"No one ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American people".

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

As my 11 year old would say: "Well, duh!"

Abrasha

Abrasha

You forget the part of the thread noting the rather gross detail that those were hard to find or make parts, or unsafe to do so; the steam engines and boilers for example.

Tim

-- "That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson Website @

Tim Williams

Yup..as long as the tissue thin Nagahyde "leathers" have the HD logo on it with some sorry looking fringe..some middle aged dumbshit will cough up the green to buy it.

Ever see a middle aged housefrau with a boob job eat the pavement at 65 wearing Yuppie leathers? It aint pretty.

Gunner, Luftmeister leathers, kevlar inserts, HiPoint steel shod boots and a full face helmut. And nearly all of his original skin.