PTO u joint update

Well, I got the u joint in but two apposing cups dont seem to be in the bore far enough below the grove the spring holders go in. Although I am not sure. I will say when I twist it there is abolutely no give in the joint like would be evidenced with a bad u joint.

One other thing I found is after about 3 full squirts of grease grease started coming out from under the little rubber seals at the end of some of the caps. is this normal?

Reply to
stryped

If the caps will not go in far enough to get the clips on and the joint is locked, I would suspect you knocked one (or more) of the needles loose and it is across the bottom of the cap (see my other post on the U-Joint problem). If that is the case, you have to get the cap back off, get the needles back in right and press it together again.

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields

The joint is not locked and moves fine. The clips are on I just cant tell if they are in the grooves or not.

Reply to
stryped

If new parts won't seat and they are the correct ones you most likely have a needle between the cross and cup. It's a bit tricky to get both cups aligned without loosing a needle the first time or two. Three hands are best :') Are you using a vise or a press? Extra grease will help hold the needles in place while assembly. Take it apart and reassemble, don't run it without the clips in place. Sometimes the yokes get bent when knocking out the old joint, if so you need to resize things. Measure over the new cups and check the snapring grove measurement.

The grease has to go somewhere.

DE

Reply to
DE