rebuilding Enerpac cylinder - need a seal!

I have an older Enerpac 5-ton flat cylinder, 5/8" stroke, 1-3/8" height when closed. It's very handy but it's been leaking so bad as to be useless. I tore it down today and at the bottom of the plunger is an oil seal, .750" ID 1.125" OD, no springs at all, open on the bottom so pressure will tend to spread the OD tighter. I believe it is made of Viton.

I can not find any parts for this cylinder on Enerpac's Web site. Can I just buy any old oil seal (i.e. go to an industrial supplier and match it up)? I think Enerpac obsoleted this one a long time ago.

Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Call up the guys at Universal Repair. They sell Enerpac, and they fix most anything hydraulic.

On Capitol Hill, right behind Seattle Central.

Reply to
Ries

Yup, I know that place. It's great that it's still in business. I'll stop by tomorrow morning.

Thanks, Ries - hey, did you grow up on Federal Avenue in Seattle?

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Normal shaft oil/grease seals are not designed to withstand any pressure at all so they would not be suitable. There are generic hydraulic seals, "Hercules" is one supplier.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

I grew up one block off Federal, up at the dead end corner of Blaine and 11th. So basically, yes. I went to both Lowell and Seward, and rode my bike to Marketime and the Cottage Shop on Broadway. I even went to the Human Be-In's in Volunteer Park. I drank pitchers of dark beer for two bucks at the Deluxe, and ate those french dip sandwiches at that bar on 15th. I worked in the basement at the old REI store on 11th, Skis in the winter, Bikes in the summer. I went to Dicks when a burger was 19 cents.

Reply to
Ries

I thought so. Can't be too many cats named Ries Niemi. I vaguely remember you. Our house was on Federal between Prospect and Highland, backed up against Volunteer Park. I went to Lowell too, remember Marketime and Dicks (and Angel's, and H Salt, and Jimmy Woo's Jade Pagoda and Decaro's and a whole raft of other places on Broadway). We used to take the bus downtown when we were 8 or 9 and go to the basement of Frederick & Nelson to the toy department, or over to Bob Hale's where they had the huge slot car track. I remember Volunteer Park when it still had rabbits and foxes, and a crew of 30 guys - remember the huge flower beds from the old days?

Grant Erwin

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Thanks, all - a quick trip this morning to the Enerpac service center across the lake, and after a 3-minute reassembly the little cylinder works fine again.

FYI the kit was $17!

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin