Record and Paramo vices

I had the same thing happen to an *8 inch* Record! No one on the crew had 'any idea'. I thought that the bench would have failed before the vice. On the upside - The company bought a new vice and I salvaged a bunch of (really high quality) cast iron pieces from the old one. One such piece was eventually employed making a cross slide stop for my Southbend. See -

on SOUTHBEND13)

Reply to
Ken Davey

Probably not too far off the mark. I have leaned on an 8 inch record (sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do) with a four foot snipe. Couldn't break it. See my other post in this thread.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Someone trying to bend a bar over the front - back to front - instead of in reverse. Likely the vice wasn't strong enough for either direction.

Christ> On the subject of vices, I found this picture online rather interesting: >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Just above in the picture is what looks like a pipe that might have been a 'lever' to tighten it... Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Dave H> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

You're right - I hadn't noticed that. I bet there was a flaw in the casting and then someone overtightened it. Makes sense.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Had a look for your pictures of the cross slide stop but they don't seem to be working. The page shows up but the pictures don't appear.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Give it another shot Chris. I have been experiencing problems here and it might be a system problem.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Still no luck, Ken. Even when I clear my cache...

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Get my Email?

Reply to
Ken Davey

Yes, thanks. I just sent a reply.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Could someone on the group give this a try and let me know the results? I would like to know if this is a general problem so I can have a go at fixing it.

Thanks. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

I just get a blank page. Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

I think I have fixed it. Could someone please try it now and report?

Thanks. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Nope still broke.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Hi Ken,

It still doesn't work. Your image links are addressed to local files. The following code will fix the first two images, but there is still something wrong with the third image file name. Fix that in the code below and that should work too :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Viewing the source it looks like it's pointing to your hard drive for the images, you need to upload them and change the pointer to the correct files.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Martin

Thanks a bunch! Try it now. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Hi Ken,

Ahhh! I see the images now, looks to be fixed, even all three of'em :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Thanks Leon.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

I'll go one step beyond Dave's guess. The discoloration at the upper right seems to correspond with a stain on the painted area. It looks like something was spilled, oil, solvent, etc. There is a good chance that the discoloration in the broken area was a pre-existing crack. Eventually, the crack spread.

Dave has a keen eye to spot that discoloration.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher