Refrigerator not working again

"Steve" fired this volley in news:i7e9b9$sui$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

I design pyrotechnic effects for the stage trade, sell them to people who ASK for them, and do NOT bilk people by telling them the effect they bought for $60.00 two years ago needs to be replaced by a $6,000.00 "new technology" replacement, or their family will die from CO poisoning.

Instead, if the effect they bought doesn't work right, I replace it for free -- including shipping.

And y'know what? Nobody who's ever dealt with our company thinks we're dishonest -- not even the ones who don't prefer ours over another brand. Why? 1) We've never, ever cheated anyone. 2) We bend over backwards to save our customers money, instead of pushing more and more stuff down their throats. The result is, the sales we might have "lost" by not pushing hard, we gain back in new business by happy referrals.

I can't even think five times when an HVAC guy actually fixed something that I was happy about it. They overcharge, they seldom fix the problem on the first try, and always say "the other part won't be in 'til next Tuesday", they have a cartel/monopoly subsidized by our government, and they mostly don't know what they're doing.

Now... How are you crooks?

First of all, I can't speak to whether or not you personally are one. But the company you keep paints you with a broad brush. MOST of the HVAC "repair" companies in Central Florida have so many black marks against them with BBB, Florida Department of Law Enforcement, and various "investigative journalists" that it's as likely to find an honest one as to win the lottery.

They even go so far as to sabotage units so they can declare them junk and coerce the customer into a replacement.

THAT's how "you" are crooks. I never said, "All reefer guys are crooks."

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

that would fit in

'right' to your

sell to you as a

Not only did they sell me what I needed for the station, but the counter guy loaded it into my truck. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The 1.5% that can do a good job, if they aren't having a bad day/week/month/year. :(

You even find idiots at the OEMs. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's been shown on Central Florida local TV where the so called HVAC Tech punches a hole in the coil of someone's A/C unit on a hidden camera. They had the system tested by one company, then called different companies who ALL wanted over $1000 each to fix imagined or created problems.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Just like the long obsolete 'Shift Register Memory' used in some early terminals. The only difference was that the delay was all electronic. Don Lancaster's famous 'TV Typewriter' project used them, along with a Signetics 2513 masked ROM for the character generator. Both were available in limited quantities on the surplus market in the '70s.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I used to pour over Popular Electronics at the library every time they had a cover shot of some new project Don Lancaster (my hero) came up with. I loved the project books that he produced for Radio Shack and I wish I still had them. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Where did you learn about the famous "frammistan"?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

He still posts on some of the sci.electronics newsgroups from time to time. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The Daring Dufas fired this volley in news:i7egi4$ljq$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

It's in the manual, right next to the page showing the three-pronged veeblefork.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I've yet to see an old refrigeration unit that used R22 since R12 was the first of its type. I use something called R416a in place of R12 and it's more efficient, takes less refrigerant to do the same job and it runs a lower head pressure which makes it good for old systems because it puts less of a load on them. Oh yea, it's a drop in, no oil change necessary.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

From the spelling, it looks like a HVAC tekkie.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Where are the muffler bearings?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sort of missed the point, didn't you? I envy anyone that has the balls to try to learn something new. If he has no success, so what? He's doing what he wants to do---explore, in the hopes of learning something. If he succeeds, so much the better. Frankly, we need more people like Iggy, not fewer.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

I think the guy is a great treasure for the electronics community, I really admire him. He has the ability to share his knowledge better than most of the teachers I've come across which is a unique talent.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Believe it or not, there is such a thing as a muffler bearing. A front wheel drive car may have one to accommodate the movement of a transverse mounted engine.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It used to be a joke among used care salesmen, when telling people what was wrong with their trade-ins in the '60s & '70s. "Our mechanic just informed me that we'll have to take $250 off our offer, since the muffler bearings are bad..." ;-)

That's why I never traded in a used car, or bought one off a lot.

The other was a joke to confuse the new guy at the parts counter, when one of the mechanics would tell him he needed a muffler bearing for a 65 Mustang. Maybe it was a regional thing?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I like his description of the 'Cursor Circuit' in his TV typewriter article: "Have you ever tried to design one?" or something to that effect.

He also wrote some pretty good April Fools stories. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I got real tickled when I heard a parts man call another supplier and ask for a harmonica balancer for a Chevy V8.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

They got tossed into that box of flight line..ya..that one.

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I remember watching the harmonic balancer from the Chevy 283 in my van rolling up the exit ramp off I-75 at Lima Ohio, after it bounced around under the engine cover a couple times. I was doing 35 MPH, and it was outrunning the van. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell