Remington 9 mm recall

That's always seemed like a strange loading to me. Most older .38 revolvers and some if the newer aren't up to +P loads. otoh, a SP101 with a 2.25" barrel is hardly bulkier than the traditional .38 snubbie and handles ++P++, aka .357 Magnum.

========================================================= [Ed]

Better alloys, better hear treatments, and, in the case of some newer revolvers, better structural design.

And Ruger does it with investment-cast frames.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

rbowman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Bingo!! One reason I have a couple of them. I also have one in .327 Federal but I haven't shot it. It is still NIB.

Reply to
RD Sandman

I'm not Macho Man and I'll admit a full-on .357 load in a SP-101 snubbie isn't fun for anyone involved. They are great for lighting up the night though.

Reply to
rbowman

I have an SP101 and really don't like shooting magnums in it although it is manageable. Belches flames about a foot. Seems like a lot of wasted energy. I keep .38 +P hollowpoints in it in the nightstand for the wife. I put magnums in it when camping in bear country.

Reply to
deep

rbowman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

You betcha'. One reason why I rather often simply carry .38 +p or +P+. If a seond shot is ever necessary, it would be nice to be able to see your target......additionally, a sound and flash of the shot from a .357 snubbie in a dark room is disorienting to both parties. ;(

Reply to
RD Sandman

deep wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You should probably keep them in there for yourself also. That's what's in mine. Come winter and heavier clothing, I will either switch to .357s or my .44. Depends on the weather which affects what someone would be wearing.

We have had this conversation before. .....a .357 Magnum is very, very light for bear country particularly in a snubbie. I have hunted coyote, deer and javelina with a .357 but they aren't bears.

Reply to
RD Sandman

I certainly hope to all getout I never have to pull a gun because of a bear, but there's other critters out there too including the two legged kind. I've always liked .357/.38 because there is such a wide range of loads you can shoot in it. I keep a velcro bullet pouch full of .38 shotshell loads when I'm camping/hunting too. They are great at taking out little critters, around the home too. Sent a couple of bushy tailed woodrats (packrats) to see Jesus with them.

Reply to
deep

What, are you some sort of coward? You're on record as telling us that no one needs a gun for self defense.

Reply to
Scout

What I said was you shouldn't have to depend on a gun for self defense.

Reply to
deep

Unilateral disarmament has been revealed as a KGB agitprop campaign targeting the Useful Idiots. I wonder if the Sluzhba Vneshnei Razvedki has resurrected the old programs.

-
Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I doubt the programs were ever ended, just toned down a bit for the moment. As to Communists, liberals, and some other groups, there is no real "end" to the campaign.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I doubt the programs were ever ended, just toned down a bit for the moment. As to Communists, liberals, and some other groups, there is no real "end" to the campaign.

================================================ [Ed]

No one is aware of any such "campaign," because there isn't one. There doubtless are people who wish for one, but the last time any high-level official *proposed* nuclear disarmament occurred when Ronald Reagan proposed it to Gorbachev at their first meeting in Iceland. Gorbachev said "no," the world wasn't ready for it. Reagan was disappointed.

As for a "campaign" of *unilateral* disarmament, who are you talking about? Some burned-out hippies in the East Village?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

It was mentioned by the narrator on a show called "Kids and guns". I watched for a few minutes, and had to quit watching. One kid mentioned was boy about six who was out alone in the woods with a rimfire rifle. Slipped, lost his footing they figure, and shot himself in the head. Died instantly. Of all the people who put on a "kids and guns" show, they choose irresponsible parents with a dead kid. I had to quit watching, about that point.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No, you told us quite plainly that one doesn't need a gun in self defense. You railed against Zimmerman for doing so since according to you it's never necessary and use of a gun is the sign of a coward.

Are you a coward Dudu?

Reply to
Scout

It was mentioned by the narrator on a show called "Kids and guns". I watched for a few minutes, and had to quit watching. One kid mentioned was boy about six who was out alone in the woods with a rimfire rifle. Slipped, lost his footing they figure, and shot himself in the head. Died instantly. Of all the people who put on a "kids and guns" show, they choose irresponsible parents with a dead kid. I had to quit watching, about that point.

================================================== [Ed]

As frequently happens, Chris, I'm having a difficult time following the connections you're making -- from a kid shot with a rifle to calls for nuclear disarmament. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and just assume that you and I are traveling in different time/space frames of reference, or something like that. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I go 4" in bear country but it's a compromise. At least I can shoot myself if the bear doesn't finish the job. The real answer where the big bears live is a 12 gauge pump with alternate slugs and buck but I'm not going to hump one of those.

I can't find the accompanying photo but the local rag ran it this week, front page above the fold:

That's a definite Oh shit! moment, meeting a bear on a narrow trail along a cliff face with almost no place for you or the bear to go. I've run into mountain goats in similar situations be it's a hell of a lot easier to stare down a goat and say, "Okay, you're the goat. Let's see some goat moves here'.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't have to shoot unarmed kids to prove I'm some sort of big man like you seem to need to.

Reply to
deep

Probably. iirc my highly scientific method was to use the first drill bit in my fractional drills that wouldn't drop through the original flash hole. I always kept the modified cases strictly separated but I did wonder if they would be a problem with a standard load. Sometimes I can keep my curiousity in check and I didn't have anything I wanted to tie to a tree with a long string on the trigger for the experiment.

Reply to
rbowman

KGB influence was more effective in Britain, in the guise of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, than in the US as the airheaded Beyond War, which fell apart without its foreign funding.

Jim Wilkins

Please post your cite that I've ever shot unarmed kids.

Meanwhile, I note your lame attempt to divert attention by lying.

Reply to
Scout