Roll up door installation question

There is a guy on news:rec.antiques.radio+phono who bragged about his half assed method, and that he doesn't have to comply, because he owns the rental houses. We tried to explain to him why it was wrong, but as always, everyone else in the universe is a drooling moron, and anyone who doesn't kiss his ass gets nasty e-mails. One fire, or even worse, one death will bankrupt him, and family members that have rental houses in their names.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On the contrary. Aluminium is a lousy heat conductor (at least, compared with the copper that would be the other end of the pigtail). A properly manufactured heat shunt clamped on an inch or two away from the joint, depending on wire gauge, will prevent damage to the insulation further away.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

"Mark Rand" wrote: On the contrary. Aluminium is a lousy heat conductor (at least, compared with

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I think "lousy" is too strong a term. Aluminum is a better conductor than most other metals, but worse than copper. For some reason that physicists can probably explain, thermal and electrical conductivity go hand in hand. But I am sure that a split block of copper, properly grooved, and clamped on the aluminum wire could protect the insulation.

Bruce, I am not suggesting that anyone go ahead and apply pigtails based on my suggestion. If I were going to do it, I would experiment with the technique at the bench. I am convinced that someone that is used to torch brazing and soldering could make it work. I consider the insurance question is important, but secondary. If I had any idea that the technique might start a fire, I would not try it--no one wants to lose a house, with or without insurance.

As an aside, if someone were inept enough to burn or melt the insulation, and tried to put the wiring in service anyway, the result would likely be a short to ground, or less likely, wire to wire. This would blow a breaker, not start a fire.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

As one of the first in the area to use Aluminium wire, I worked very closely with the electrical inspection authority. The fact that the inspector was fully aware that I did not have any form of trade certificate probably got even closer scrutiny. the only flack I ever got was from the city building inspector who was frustrated in his effort to issue a $25.00 city business licence due to the fact that he couldn't fill the space with a trade certificate number - his solution? "Don't wire any more houses in my jurisdiction!"

When I encounter Aluminium wire, I replace it, end of discussion. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Just remember, it's okay to use on single-point circuits like from the main panel to the AC Disconnect or the range, where it has been properly treated and uses rated compression lugs.

And when you start going long distances it's a LOT less money than copper - if you aren't paying the bill, you don't get to choose.

But no multi-point AL wire for receptacles and light circuits.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman