Saving An Old Atlas

For years I have made do with a worn out 10" Atlas, but my limited skill set limits what I can do with it. It is OLD and has very loose babit bearings and a 5/8" lead screw. I am wondering if I could replace the head with a newer timkin bearing casting and further what it would take to upgrade to the later 3/4" lead screw.

Ive looked at replacing the lathe, but this one is otherwise complete and more importantly fits the cramped space I have available.

Carl

Reply to
carl

Greetings Carl, I have an old 6" Atlas that came with the babbit bearing headstock. I bought a Timken bearing head stock and it fits. Probably the same for your 10". Clausing sells Atlas parts and I bet they have that leadscrew. The supports may need to be altered or replaced but I think Clausing can tell you what's required. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Do the headstock bearing caps have any shim left in them?

Jim

jim rozen

Yes, bearing 10" headstock will fit fine.

There is a yahoogroups group dedicated to the Atlas / Craftsman line of lathes. Almost every question or idea you have with these machines has been done by someone in this group.

I think the 3/4" lead screw is a simple conversion, but I don't remember for sure. My 10" came with bearings and 3/4" lead screw. You will still have the thin 3/8" ways, but it will do a lot of work.

John

Reply to
john