SF-->Visalia driving time?

I am thinking of flying into San Francisco and driving on down to Visalia for the Men-Metal-Machines show next month. Can any of you from the Bay Area club give me an idea how long a drive that is?

Thanks Bill

Reply to
Bill Chernoff

According to Microsoft Street and Trip: From Airport to Visalia

SUMMARY Driving distance: 237.3 miles Trip duration: 4 hours, 11 minutes Driving time: 4 hours, 11 minutes Cost: $20.44

Reply to
Douglas R. Probst

Why not fly into Visalia? Its got a nice airport.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

Visalia has an amazingly large airport for the size community it really is. There should be fairly good service direct. I think you will find LAX is 20-30 minutes closer and you also might consider Bakersfield to the south or Fresno to the north as alternate destinations. I am just trying to be helpful and am certainly not a travel agent. Leigh at MarMachine

Reply to
Leigh Knudson

Seriously - try mapquest or another - they are not bad. Shows millage gives route and time.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

On 27 Sep 2004 18:47:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM (Leigh Knudson) calmly ranted:

Concord was, too, but they closed it down. We used to fly directly to my sister's town, saving an hour of Oakland or SFO traffic jams. 'Twas nice.

But both SFO and LAX are bitch airports to get in and out of, but connecting flights might limit the options.

Doug should check rental car prices at both places, too, so the total cost can be found beforehand. SFO has dirt cheap rental cars (as of '91, the last time I rented there.)

I should think he'd rather drive (with a trailer) so he could take home tons of big arn. Costs might be similar, but time might be a factor. :(

  • * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
  • *
Larry Jaques

Just for clarification, Concord's Buchanan Field isn't closed, just no more commercial air traffic. But I guess for the purposes of this discussion it is the same thing. I used to fly the PSA BAe146's into/out of there myself. T'was indeed nice. Then some of the residents started bitching and moaning about the noise (there were other reasons too, but the community was the main reason). There were only about 6 or eight flights a day and all during daylight hours IIRC.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

--Hey, can you do me a favor while you're there? I'd like the name of the guy who was making custom camshafts. I went last year and saw the machine he made, but he was nowhere to be found and nobody could recall his name!

Reply to
steamer

As far as I remember, Ken Hurst makes them, as does Eugene Corl. I don't know if they take in contracts or not. Both are members of the Bay Area Engine Modelers. Google on BAEM and see what you find.

I think there are others, too. I remember a nice wood and glass case with cams in it...

Reply to
Bill Chernoff

Except no airline flies into it. Well, that's not true, United Express does. However, the flights are very expensive and I would have long lay overs at LAX. I can almost drive there from Phoenix faster than fly, but it's too long a drive. I wish they had picked a town that had good air service or somewhere Southwest flies.

George

Reply to
gglines

Fresno is only about 40 or so miles north of Visalia and I know Skywest flies into there and its an easy 30 minute run. Wide open roads and virtually no speed limit.

I recall seeing Skywest flying out of Phoenix.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

America West flies direct from Phoenix to Fresno.

Reply to
SR

Thanks, it's a little cheaper going into Fresno. I can get a ticket for $350.

George

Reply to
gglines