Slightly OT-smoking printer

Smoke coming out of the top of the HP1012 while printing is a bad thing, right?

I suspect the only solution is buying a new one but if anyone knows the likely and remediable causes of this phenomenon please share them.

What is in a laser printer that is worth saving and re-using apart from the cartridge? The motor?

Thanks,

Reply to
Michael Koblic

Nah,mine does it all the time, I just open the windows while printing.

db

Reply to
Dave B

Likely something stuck on the fuser roller?????

Reply to
clare

Is it more like white smoke or black? White smoke might be just steam coming off moist paper. It doesn't have to be soaking wet, just extra moisture that is evaporated by the fuser, and condenses outside of the printer. This is normal and nothing to worry about.

Black/acrid smoke would be something stuck to the fuser; if that is the case you need to open it up, let it cool and try to peel it off the roller.

Reply to
Przemek Klosowski

I think you nailed it.

I noticed the smoke after inserting a stack of new paper which until then was kept in a relatively damp place (well, this *is* Campbell River!). I was also printing a unusually large number of copies and noticed the white smoke weel into the process. Also, the paper was curling more than usual.

I repeated the trial today after I had given the paper chance to dry somewhat. There is still white smoke, but only if you look for it with a flashlight. For all I know the printer has always been smoking and I just was not aware or it. I think I shall keep a steady nerve and a close eye on it for the time being.

You may have saved me $$$ in which case I owe you a beer.

Reply to
Michael Koblic