Solar power

I think tracking mechanisms can be as complicated as one cares to go. A TEFC AC or DC gearmotor or a C-band satellite dish "jack" linear actuator could be sources of power.

When I was looking at various solar devices online years ago (just out of curiosity) there were fairly simple motorized trackers, and others controlled by software on a PC or a home-built circuit, and these were just DIY setups.

I think there is a lot of gear available for amateur astronomer telescopes which could possibly be used as a building block for a tracking system.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

I saw a cool one just today on a video, used a magnet for a piston and copier toner for the sealing ring in a glass tube. Now that is thinking !

As for the wind power part. Anyone know what the pressure front is called? Like how the air is turbulent upwind of a building that snow banks are eaten away to the ground. Or maybe how the grass bends over on the side of the road before the vehicle gets there. Subsonic pressure front? I'd like to read up on it if I could cause the wind blows here quite well at times, was thinking of DC lights for the shop so the wife doesn't bitch about having lots of light.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Static PV concentrator?

Your not serious? Half mirrored spheres with suspended small costly PV cells... Sounds like them.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

No shit?!!!

Thats a hell of a battery and if it has the life span...we are indeed living in the beginning of a new age.

Got any links??

This is indeed interesting!!

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

"Ed Huntress" on Fri, 16 Jul 2010 14:42:13

Oh, but where's the fun in that?

I was thinking a small one. Maybe made of wood & bamboo. I think I saw something like that on MythBusters....

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

There is a misunderstanding here - the wing does not have to be long and flat.

The edge and varying thickness is the trick. Many fans are curved. They get longer that way.

Mart> "Stu Fields" on Thu, 15 Jul 2010 08:17:58 -0700 typed

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Hmmm...maybe a balsa wood engine?

If you like steam, do steam. Then you can be an engineer, pull the whistle and all that -- and watch it all the time it's running, to keep it going.

Stirling it delightfully drama-free. If you screw something up, it just stops. Small ones are very simple. However, making one larger than 1 hp is quite a project.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

"Ed Huntress" on Fri, 16 Jul 2010 23:14:39

I've heard stories over the years, of using Sterlings for electricity. Dead dumb simple operation, so ..."light fire, stand back." No blinkenlichts to watch, but .. "we were happy."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Yep I had links and now can't remember where I put them. Damn it is inconvenient to get older. If I can find the link I'll stick it in here. Stu

Reply to
Stu Fields

When I was designing wind and solar in the early 1980's the lament was, "If only solar would come down from $100/ Watt, things would be possible." That was when in the Northwest, retail power cost 1 cent/ kw-hr.

The problem with wind in the Northwest is that we get 6mph wind all the time, except for 24 hours per year of 50 mph wind. What would be better is 15 mph wind all the time.

The trouble with solar heat was that it is dark, cloudy, and 40 degrees all winter.

The only things that really paid were solar lighting and super insulation.

Reply to
clarkmagnuson

There was no detail only a teaser that DOE was interested in getting their SBIR (Small Business Innovative Research) money out there and spent before they lose it. I can remember having to come up with something to spend the SBIR money so that we could get some next year. GEESH..I sure hope we get more and bigger government to take care of me...

Reply to
Stu Fields

Request research funds to devise a method to tax the electricity individuals make with solar power at home for thier own use. Off grid people are of course not paying thier fair share of taxes.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

They have a charm of their own. They've beome a cult machine, but, unlike another cult machine, the Tesla turbine, they actually work.

There have been a number of high-output prototypes, by Saab, the US Navy, and others, and one navy (Sweden?) powers some of its submarines with them. They're used to generate electricity in some deep-space probes, using nuclear isotopes for heat.

But if you want efficiency from them, they're expensive to build, requiring superalloy heat exchangers that are expensive to fabricate. If you don't care about efficiency, there are some teachers in Japan who have their kids make Stirlings from a coffee can, some rubber balloons, and wooden sticks. They run very well.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

azotic wrote:

Off grid people of course dont get the benefits the on grid tax payers get. So its seems fair to me that we( off grid folk) dont pay the tax to which you refer. . Afterall (correct me if im wrong) you dont pay for services you dont get. Ie you dont pay your plumber or whatever if hes not doing anything for you. Off grid electricity cost more per watt than on grid. It does have its compensations tho. If anyone is interested , weve been off grid for some 40 yrs, and our setup uses the following. Ex British rail standby signalling alkaline batteries, I bought them at 10 yrs old at £30.00 a ton, had 3 tons. Have a useful life in excess of 50 yrs. We used from the 70 crates, there in 316 stainless steel in hard wood boxes, some 20 at present, powering a 3kw outback system. We charge them with a 6kva Lister diesel generator controlled by an Outback mate. Recently, we came by 1000 galls of diesel fuel at £1.00 a gallon. so weve plenty put by. The proper pump price of this tax free tractor fuel here in the UK is £2.50 a gallon. we plan to cut this generating cost by building a 48v. DC generator powered by a 650 rpm Lister 6/1 single on waste vegetable oil.Weve 3 of these engines put by. Currently we get this WVO from a local hotel for free. So were stock piling it for future use. We think that this way of providing electricity is the cheapest way, much more efficient that solar power. We will add another 3kw outback in due course to give us a steady 6kw power supply. Our main power usage is our fridge freezer. hope this is of interest. Ted in rural wilderness Dorset UK.

Reply to
Ted Frater

Ted: Having driven around in the UK, I can believe that solar might not be the most efficient way to generate power. Only saw the sun a couple of times in two weeks. However, have you ever logged your time collecting WVO, diesel, and maintenance? I'd be interested in knowing the cost interms of amount of labor req'd. It does sound like you've been pretty inventive in taking care of your power needs. We have people living not to far away in the mountains that have come up with combinations of solar and diesel to answer their forced off grid lifestyle. I really like the no moving parts and minimal maintenance of the solar and we live in the desert where we are truly wasting sunshine. With two helicopters, my wrench twisting time is already more than I like.

Reply to
Stu Fields

oooh, that sounds like fun ! That's what I need to find, a Lister. I found them on the Internet while looking up a cast iron gas tank I found in the woods for a hit and miss named a Monitor. They don't make gas tanks like they use to. I need a 220V generator I can run for long periods just in case the power goes out while its 30 below. Almost landed a VW diesel pickup for $75 and was about to start collecting oily stuff cause I can get as many of those fuel oil tanks that I could possibly need for free. Was not happy, thought the VW was in the bag after about 1.5 years of negotiating of who really had the title.

See if you had sun I could show you how to cure that reefer problem. Solar thermal is my favorite. Run it off the exhaust heat!

What I don't and never have understood is how one controls the timing when the fuel is ignited by pressure alone. Why won't it light off on the way up? Maybe it does and won't work till the ratio is just right... Lots of backfires till ya get it right?

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

The first four hits or so look like what you want:

or

Interesting stuff...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Sunworshipper on Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:03:08 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"standing wave" is what I'm thinking of - there is probably a technical term in fluid dynamics that applies.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Bingo Leon.

Reply to
Stu Fields

I'm not buying into all this global warming stuff but if we devise a decent battery and go solar, it would seem that it would have less impact on our enviroment.

Not that I'm worried we are ruining it burning oil and gas. Coal has some issues, undermining property, heavy metals, and the danger to those that go underground to mine it.

Now if we could find a battery with the energy density of gasoline with a long life and isn't made of toxic chemicals, a lot of changes would take place.

The next 20+ years may be interesting.

Wes

Wes