Spousal Shop Concerns

I am on the other side of this as well, as I buy and resell equipment (and keep some equipment for myself).

I think that generally, a clueless and disinterested seller can do four things

- Sit on the property.

Obvious ramifications

- Advertise it for a fixed price If the price is too low, then the seller would get less than she could, if more, see choise #1.

- Try to sell the items competitively Here the key is to find knowledgeable buyers. eBay is good for that if the item is properly described, which is what the current owner can help with. I recall one widow selling a "Tektronix soldering iron", which was actually a Tek P1006 oscilloscope probe. I bid on it and lost. Even though it was misdescribed, it sold for a sensible, but lower amount.

For a "widow with a garage full of strange tools" type of situation, the safest and easiest bet would be to find several cash buyers who are in the business of buying tools, and get several competitive bids.

And remember that a lot of tools in these situations are worthless crap that the owners thought they "could use someday" etc.

The advantage is that the garage would be cleaned out quickly and a suitable price can be obtained. The hassle of selling tools individually is very high for someone not doing ebaying professionally. A bid on all assets is a great thing.

When I see stuff on garage sales, and see something interesting, I always ask the innocent question "hi, do you know what this thing is". The purpose is usually not to find out what it is, but to find out if the seller knows. If not, I give some low ball offers, which sometimes work out to a good price. I do not see this as an unethical practice.

There is usually not that much money to be made from clueless widows sitting on a garage full of rusted "vintage" who knows what. A lot more can be made from clueless sellers of military surplus property (a pallet of "MISC EQPT 24 PCS" or some such), or even reselling misdescribed ebay items.

Ignoramus17993

What size??

Reply to
Shawn

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:41:00 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Jeff Wisnia quickly quoth:

ROTFL! Son, you have to be a WHOLE LOT more specific with your wishes if you want success in this world. Poof, you're size 8-XL black lace. Enjoy your new position, ya poor sod.

That reminds me of the genie joke. The short version: a black (or other person of color, your choice) guy finds a lamp and starts to polish it when a genie pops out and grants him 3 wishes. Poof, poof, a million dollars and a new Ferrari pop up. For his third wish, the black guy wants to be white and be between women's legs.

Poof, he's a tampon!

-- Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life. --Jesse Lee Bennett

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That reminded me of something Prince Charles said to Camilla Parker-Bowles in an eavesdropped mobile phone conversation (para 3)":

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Unfortunately for Gunner, they'll be worn by Hillary Clinton.

(Or Margaret Thatcher, take your pick)

;--)

Jeff P.

Reply to
jpolaski

I ran into a similar problem when my mother passed- she had three households of antiques. I asked my relatives if there was anything they wanted- the rest was disposed of by auction. I hired a knowledgable auctioneer- his company inventoried the items, advertised in every newspaper within a 100 miles, sent out flyers to 'good' customers, and called the 'best' customers. On auction day he had traffic control, a food and beverage truck, a giant tent, and a large staff to keep things moving. He sold everything in 8 hours. My cousin is an antiques dealer and after reviewing the sell sheet said that, on balance, stuff sold at or above market. He also said it would take several years to sell everything individaully. To make the process as painless as possible for your loved ones, you can do most of the groundwork know- finding an auctioneer, making sure he has an idea of the current value of your tooling (but don't expect him to be an expert), and any other details you want him to take care of. When the time comes, a phone call to the auctioneer will be the only thing your survivors will have to do.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Its a deal.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Gunners note...He may not know it..but Leigh is listed as first contact for disposing of my machine tools and shop, in the event of my early demise.

With luck..we will both live to be 300 and be bored with metal working by that time and have sold everything off to buy new Orgasmatrons.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Watch out for cross dressers if you do.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I knew what it was then, too. You should have given me a call! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Divine.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Dennis Hastert.

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

This Divine?

The scene in Pink Flamingos where s/he shoplifts a beefsteak in her crotch unfortunately comes to mind. Sure you wouldn't rather come back as a gnat, Jeff?

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

"Tony" wrote: What about donating them to a charity, school, or the American Precision

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ A 'write-off" is a tax deduction. You deduct the deopreciated value of the tools, and on the bottom line you save some proportion on taxes, depending on what your tax rate happens to be. If the widow doesn't itemize her taxes, she may actually not realize anything at all. (This is a real possibility if their home is paid off and they don't have a big interest payment.)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Put it up for auction. It will all go in one day, and auction prices tend to be on the high side. When I attend auctions, I sometimes see used tools sold for more than I can buy new tools for! I have quit going to auctions because deals are few and far between, and it shoots up the whole day.

Of course, the owner is the worst person to estimate the value of their stuff. People always think that their stuff is worth more than it really is. This is true of cars, houses, boats, RVs, ....... Things are only worth what other people are willing to pay. If there are two people who want the same thing at an auction, the price will quickly be bid up to a reasonable level.

I would do a little homework and figure out which local auction company would be able to do this. I think that estate auctions are very common, so most auction companies should be able to handle it.

Richard

Boris Beizer wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

The part where he/she eats a fresh dog turd sticks forever in my craw.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Leo Lichtman wrote in article ...

My ten-inch Atlas lathe came from the then-73-year-old owner himself - a personal friend who was a retired machinist.

For the $500, I got the lathe, a turrett tailstock - NOT a MT attachment, but a full slide-on-the-rails tailstock, a Pratt-Whitney screw machine (for a spare motor), several boxes of tooling including things such as a geometric threading attachment, four different lathe chucks and ten - count 'em - TEN cigar boxes full of cutters, tool bits, end mills, etc.....A conservative estimate of $2,000 worth of "extras."

When I sat at his kitchen table to write the chack, I asked, "Walt....Are you SURE $500 is enough for all this stuff?" (He was, after all, a friend.)

He replied, "When I go, my kids would have probably sold it all for scrap value. This way, I know it will continue to be used and appreciated."

Reply to
*

I had a similar experience with my Cincy#2 mill and F.E. Reed Lathe.

A guy was selling his father-in-law's stuff after he passed. He wasn't an HSM, but appreciated the machines and the art -- he used to help his dad-in-law in the shop.

He kept turning away offers of nearly what he asked. When I asked why, he said, "I was waiting for someone who had 'that look in their eyes' when they saw the machines. You had it; nobody else did."

(that 'look' was pure love and lust!)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote >

Be careful what you wish for, you might fall into the hands of a drag queen. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

Pink Flamingos has something (disturbing) for everyone. For my wife it's knowing that I lived in a trailer just like the one featured in the film for a couple years. This despite the fact that I had a nice garden, a view of the ocean, and no fat woman in a playpen in the corner calling for the egg man.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons