Tabletop Surface Grinder - Nashua NH

No connection, no opinion on its value, just a heads up.

Ned Simmons

Ned Simmons wrote in article ...

That is a Sanford surface grinder.

It is a different color than mine - which is what I call a light olive drab

- which might suggest that it has been refurbished somewhere along the line.

I bought one that looks like that one a couple of years ago for $150.

Before I got it home - 50 miles - I was offered $750 for it.

If I didn't already have one, I would probably take a look at this one.

BTW - There's a strong chance that the original 110v mag chuck pictured with the machine doesn't work. I just use a small regular mag chuck on mine.

Reply to
*

Hmm ... that looks a lot like my Sanford. The electric magnetic chuck is mounted backwards if so -- I see the connector on the left of it, while it should take a cable which goes down to the right side of the base.

The electrolytic cap in the base was dead, so I redesigned the wiring in there to use a bridge rectifier instead of a single selenium rectifier, and a much heavier cap. Because of the bridge rectifier, I also had to redesign the overall wiring and switching in the base.

There are two switches on the right side of the base, and one connector for the cable going to the mag chuck. One switch is the mag chuck, set up as "DC/Off/AC". The DC is used for holding, while the AC demagnetizes the workpiece and the chuck to make it easier to separate them. The other switch is for the single-phase motor on the back.

Because of the electric mag chuck and the lack of isolation from the power line, they say to not use coolant with the grinder -- unless you change over to a permanent magnet chuck.

Color is different -- mine is the usual grey. And there is a bit more shrouding around the upper end of the dovetail in the back.

But if it is in good condition, the price looks nice.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols